Fog Light

G

GTIR_newb

Hiya all,
A question regarding fog lights.
Can I convert one of the existing cluster lights to save putting an unsightly additional light in?
If so, does anyone know how to wire it up?

Cheers
James

moved -Hannie

T

Tart

Yep thats wot I did.......... Nice n easy. To pass an MOT ur car only has to have one reversing light so best way I found was, buy a red bulb and replace the normal reversing one on the drivers side. Disconnect the wires to that bulb which are part of the reversing lights.

Now wire from the bulb to the front of the car (only needs one wire, the earth is already there). You can easily use the cable trays under the sill of the drivers door. (just pulls up). Now connect a wire to an illumination wire in your dash. If you dont want to pi## around its easiest to take one off of say the hazzard or heated window illumination (one which has power only when the headlights are on).

Now connect up the wire from bulb to the wire from the illumination switch with a normal flick switch in between. Job done.

this means the switch will operate the fog lamp but only when the headlights are on.

I mounted my switch for it in the coin holder, but thats ur own choice.
Takes about 30 mins max and looks totally cool and professional if you hide that wiring properly. NICE, MOT PASS........... ;-)

L

Little Miss Road Rage

I put a set of english back lights on and wired the inside set of brake side lights were wired up as fogs.

G

GTIR_newb

I think I'll go with the Tart's solution as its near enough FREEEE!!! :D

My favourite price!!! :p 8)

A

ard1ey

If you have a look at the back lights you can cut the wiring to the inner two brake/side lights and wire them to be your foglights. Stick in a pair of single filament 21W bulbs and you're laughing, plus it looks like its supposed to.
Be best off putting in a proper relay for safety, as topcat said tho.

I did the inner brake light thing too, then wired it back to a uk fog light switch which i installed where it's supposed to be on uk cars- avoiding the need to fit one of those rubbish little aftermarket switches. Also, you can take a feed from the hazard switch (for example) so that it illuminates when you turn your headlights on. looks and works like it came from the factory...

Don't know about this relay thing tho, would my uk switch not do the job ok? can't see how Nissan would have done it any differently

geetee

Without a relay you are pulling the full 21W (or 42W if you wire in both fog lights) through the switch.

Cheap and nasty switches may get a little warm with that.

The idea of the relay is that you have minimal current through the switch.

But I didn't use a realy and I have a cheap and nasty swtich and I've no probs. But then the only time my foglight gets switched on is for the MOT :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee