first time track day

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
take it you've been oulton park before campbell , been from manchester there's a few tracks up north but all the best seem down south
A few times but a lot of people on have too. We also hosted the GTIROC track day event there 2 years ago IIRC we had about 10 R's went on track.

In the North you have Outlon, Cadwell and Anglesey all close to Manchester so I would say we've got it pretty good.

If you and your mates are a bit worried about it all, Elvington is a good safe place to cut your teeth without fear of a crash or race cars out testing. Cheap too but watch out for tyre wear on the abrasive tarmac.

http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/t...rowse&category_id=385itemid&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

Oulton also do Novice only days which would be the best place to start for you and your mates if you're all new to it.

chrisyleigh

Good idea! Might aswell try and get some money out of someone ha and if anyone fancys it thinking of going on the 17th of feb or the 25th , and anyone no if a strut brace is worth it or is it more than its actually worth

chrisyleigh

Nt fancy elevlington looks a bit boring tbhh and is that trackdays.co.uk website god to book off anyone know cheers for all the info lads

johnsy

good idea if there's no petrol stations about, get a 20l jerry can fuel aint cheap at track days, also dont run the car with under half a tank of fuel,you'll get surge in th corners

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There's a shell pretty close to Oulton Park that sells V-Power. It's certainly cheaper than buying it at the track.

Is the novice day cheaper, and does that mean you don't feel so pressured to put fast times in? I keep telling myself that I could get some "trackday" rubber for my spare rims and have a play, but I want to be able to drive home again afterwards.

P

pulsarboby

i think your best off going to an open pitlane trackday instead of a novice sessioned event.....you have a much better chance of your car coming back with all panels intact

ive found that on the sessioned events you get a lot of muppets that are all over the place and very unpredictable, most have been watching to many fast and furious films lol.
on open pitlanes a lot are either racers that use these as test days or experienced track dayers.
providing you stick to the lines they will simply go past you and if you can try and tag someone thats a little quicker than you and follow their lines....youll learn much more that way rather than overtaking the fast and furious wannabees

chrisyleigh

Do u get a spot in the pits on the website its says ¥99 is that right I heard a mate say something about track time fees

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Jim (campellju) has covered all the major trackday crap you will need

Pointers to prep the car:
  • Good brake pads: DS2500 (pref all round if funds allow, if not just the fronts)
  • Change brake fluid (decent DOT4 will do)
  • Good tyres (check pressures before going on track, do them cold)
  • Oil cooler (13 row will be fine)
  • Helmet (see posts above)
  • After market discs - grooved, NOT drilled (if funds allow)

If you want to stick a strut brace it then go for it, it will help the front of the car from flexing when cornering harder round the track.

Stick with open pit and come and go as you please.

Also if on offer take up some tuition from the pro's that are there, they will aid your overall driving days and help preserve your car better too.

Main thing is to build up your speed during the day, follow the marshals instructions/flags and also keep an eye out in your rear view mirror for faster cars.

Oulton Park is a great track and you should have a great day...also there is a Shell garage about 10mins from the track, so you can fill up at dinner time!

chrisyleigh

Thanks ill see what its like without a oil cooler and thanks again every1 , anybody else up for it?? Be nice to see another R as I've only ever seen another one on the road before , will try to get a whole brake upgrade willwoods r something but if not ill get some groved disks and some ebc pads cheers chris

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm with you Bobby on sessions, awful idea. I can't say if this or isn't but I know the normal days aren't.
In that case, I'll forget that idea... I've seen all the Fast and the Furious films so I already know that they end-up writing-off anything that's any good; I've already said I can't afford to do that. :lol:

I have to say though that I like the idea of playing on an airstrip a little more at the moment; mainly because there's very little to hit if (read "when") you get it wrong... as long as you're not sideways when the wheels catch something.

chrisyleigh

Hopefully not a when and ill just do 10-15mins at a time , and a cool down , but ano my mates are going to try and push a little harder and I know one off us are going home on the back of a lorry hopefully not me . Maybe the nova :) think the first investment is between big brakes and oil cooler

bensmith907

tough choice that- oil cooler will keep the engine happy. but brakes may save you in a corner. You can also get modified water pump pully to help keep the temps down, Ive been meaning to get one for ages now.

johnsy

thicker rad! holds more coolant

i don't think the the water pump pulley has anything to do with temps, it stops cavitation

P

pulsarboby

thicker rad! holds more coolant

i don't think the the water pump pulley has anything to do with temps, it stops cavitation

sorry dan but that has everything to do with temps as cavitation means next to no water flow which will drastically increase temps in water jacket and therefore engine oil temps will rise with it then its kabooooooom!