FAO anyone with a GT series turbo without a metal bearing cage

red reading

No teasing, I know mark and have been helping him find the right bits to build his car up so if he wants a turbo to help him on his way of one type or another I di have one or two.....someone maybe buying the hks 3037 I have so we will see on the others.

MarkTurbo

Even a standard T28 would do, i've got 2 or 3 but they all have excessive shaft play so its not even worth risking putting any of them on.

Just got an email from turbo dynamics following on from inspecting my turbo -

"Hi Ben

I have the info on your unit.

Although there is a little wear to the ring seals , it is not enough to result in the scale of the oil leaking. There is oil leaking from both the turbine and the compressor end, this would indicate there is either excessive oil pressure or insufficient oil drainage. The exhaust housing is severely distorted and buckled, the waste gate no longer seals and the scroll has buckled to the point it has rubbed the turbine wheel. We also found damage to the turbine drive blades caused by impact from debris.

For 400BHP plus running a 0.86A/R turbine housing is a must. To achieve your goals of 450BHP we would also recommend changing the compressor to a 0.60A/R with a 3” inlet. Also if replacing the exhaust housing, a slightly larger turbine wheel can be used for a bit more power.

Rebuild including new larger shaft, new 0.82A/R turbine housing and new 0.60A/R 3” cover ?590.00+vat

We also highly recommend our metal cage upgrade replacing the standard plastic one to extend the life of the turbo. Normally £95 but as the unit is apart already we can do for £45. There is also the option for a billet wheel upgrade for advanced spooling £145"

MarkTurbo

As my car is nearly ready to go again i thought i'd drain the oil and pull the sump pan and oil pickup off tonight, should have done it sooner really but the car has only been turned over by hand since the turbo went so any debris wasn't going anywhere.

The rest of the bearing cage :roll:

I'm pretty pissed off again now with what a piece of s**t these turbo's are for the money so although it'll probably be a pointless exercise i'm going to contact garrett and send them the pictures and see what they've got to say about it :evil:

111mattin111

Could this be something to do with the way it's fitted/ runs on the pulsar?

The reason I ask is I've had quite a few 200sx and 300zx running anything from the 2871r to 3076r and never had any problems and that's running the turbos hard, also a lot of the 200 guys are running 2+ bar with no real failings?

so is it something just happening on the pulsars?

Juggs

Total shot in the dark but could it be anything to do with them running the smaller t25-t28 type flange on a pulsar?
Only ask as apposed to the lads who run them on 200sx etc as mentioned in the previous post, and on evo's & cossies etc tend to run with the larger T3 type flanges & 3" intakes?

ashills

Think its more to do with Garrett deciding to use a cheap plastic bearing cage that melts/breaks up and writes off a perfectly good turbo

111mattin111

200's run t25 flange with 3in intake not many convert to t3 as its not worth it when you can get most turbos in the standard t2 flange,

if I was just to do with garrett wouldn't we see more failures with other cars? Only really seem to see this problem on the Gtir

Juggs

Yeah i know they do stock but i thought that they use the t3 flange when using an aftermarket top mount manifold.
Maybe a bad example me looking at the 200sx but it was just a thought.
As you say though it seems more an issue on pulsars than some others.

vss irvine

what size id are the water and oil pipes on other cars? ive noticed that if you have any shite in the take off for the turbo water feed pipe it restricts the flow.

the feed pipe comes off the main thermostat cooling pipe (return) and over time can clog up a little.

skiddusmarkus

It may be people using the standard oil return which doesn't give the best angle with this turbo. To me that would restrict the flow so a new pipe should be supplied withtheturbo.

111mattin111

Maybe, also on 200's people ALWAYS use braided oil and water lines,

on all my 200's I never even ran water cooling and I know a hell of a lot of other 200 owners don't

like has been said maybe its something to do with the way the oil is draining from the turbo as this can be a problem

Juggs

Should it in theory Minimise the risk if you run a top mount turbo with braided oil feed & returns with an inline filter?
Obviously if the plastic cage breaks up your screwed anyhow.