Engine start up issues (vid). What is it? Please help!

splmum

TurboDoseBro

Where about's in Australia are you.

As far as rebuilding, monkeys will do it for $2,000 and you will end up with nuts.

Gorilla's will do it for $3,000 and you will be bonkers.

SR20 knowledgeable mechanics/workshops will do it for $4,000 upwards and as far as your wallet will expand.

TurboDoseBro

Hey, I'm in Melbourne.

Just been stressing out about this car lately. If it's cheap enough like $2000 I'm willing to get it rebuilt. Can stretch to $3000 only if superior quality parts are being used like ACL bearings, studs, and whatnot. If it's much over $3000 I think I'll sell it. It has crossed my mind that I should give the rebuild an attempt myself since I can get an engine crane, but would much prefer a more experienced hand on it lol.

I see you're from Sydney so not really up for risking breaking down halfway over hahaha. I do wonder if I can get the same done in VIC...

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There are definitely owners in Victoria, but you'll have better luck finding them on GTiROZ. - Not that you're not welcome here of course.

Empty Pockets

Even if the sump knocked out and it sounded better it'll have still caused damage, no oil pressure and knocking like that, well.... If it sounds ok after you've knocked the sump out sell it quick, it'll only be a matter of time before it fails imo, if you want to keep it do as Mr b says and check the bearings and bores and plan for a rebuild.

TurboDoseBro

Yeah but you guys reckon the damage would be permanent on the block (unrebuildable damage)? I don't wanna pay someone to strip down the block just to find out it's too late. Tigghhhhttttt on budget! :lol:

TurboDoseBro

Just called around for a bunch of quotes and workshop choice. Anywhere from $4000 - $7000. Hmmmmm...... The low end of that sits right on the choose rebuild or sell car and get another fence... I have heard these engines are a pain to get out, so I don't think the engine crane would be any good in my circumstance, even if I wanted to give rebuilding a good crack.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
They're not really a pain to get out. - It was designed as a rally car, so the engine drops out the bottom with the gearbox and transfer case attached.

You're better off using the engine crane to lift the body off the engine than trying to pull the engine out from the top:

You might be able to source a front cut with a working engine if the rebuild cost is too high.

geoff pine

Well that was a few years ago �� if you take the engine out your self ! you would be saving money for your rebuild !!

TurboDoseBro

You guys look a bit spent after removing that engine hahaha! If I can take it out I might as well do the rebuild myself. Only thing is knowing what's damaged and needs to be replaced with the untrained eye.

jay1

yeah we were haha yours didnt sound healthy lets put i that way, i would imagine you will need some new bottom end shells at minimium, if you do all the labour the costs arent too bad, i built my old one was around the 800 pounds mark, and i used acl bottom and main bearings, arp rod and head bolts, cant remember what head gasket. and the engineer up the road ground the crank and done the block.

TurboDoseBro

800 pounds sounds doesn't sound too bad, even if you didn't do the pistons. Mine is in the workshop at the moment about to get checked up. I'm growing a religion and praying to every god I don't get stung hard. They'll be checking other parts of the car too to deem if the car is worth keeping. Just saw on eBay there's the engine block going for around $2400 which will be do-able if mine is crapped up, even including labour of swapping.

Last edited:

jay1

its a shame your in australia, i have a spare engine and im building another one which has blown rings, i have a spare set of hks forged pistons im gonna put in it

TurboDoseBro

Plan of attack as for now:
1. Get used engine put in (assuming car is in good shape)
2. Use this dead engine to rebuild into monster
3. If dead engine is beyond repair then sell for parts

jay1

go to a good engineer that knows what they are doing and you should be able to rebuild it. i only had 1 gtir engine that was fooked, bottom end knocked, slowed down and the engine shut off locking all 4 wheels up, turns out the force of the wheels locking up while the crank was wobblying due to bearing issues had split the block. that was an expensive day out haha