Engine start up issues (vid). What is it? Please help!

TurboDoseBro

No good

Hi guise,

New owner here but barely because my car morphs into a tractor on cold start ups. Actually new to turbo cars in general, and enjoying every bit of it (minus problems!).

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What oil are you using? - It doesn't sound healthy, but I'm just wondering if it's oil pressure related.

This is what mine sounds like on start-up (for reference):
[video=youtube;z_Toi7qwBtc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Toi7qwBtc[/video]

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Looks like the oil pump had failed and sounds like the engine has spun a bearing.

I'd not start it again...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Big ends gone? Check for a dented sump as Dave has suggested, it's quite common on these cars.

TurboDoseBro

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies!

I am using Penrite HPR10 10w-50. Oil was changed about 2 weeks ago.

Sump is slightly dented on the front part but when I took it apart it looked like the inside wasn't damaged. I don't know if it would affect the insides or not. Took the pickup hose off and cleaned that too independently and re-gasket gooed it, along with the sump. This was what my mechanic told me to try. Weirdly enough it tractors for over a minute now after cleaning pickup compared to about 10 seconds before cleaning, but car was sitting for a few days prior to clean so maybe another factor?

Before:

After:

(Yes all bolts were done up tightly :) )

Last edited:

whytie

Do not start the car again until oil pressure light goes out. Unplug the coil an pull the fuse for the fuel pump when you crank it over.

chances are you engine is fecked anyway if you have been running it for a min with no oil pressure

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is the pick up sealed properly? ie could it be sucking air in around it and not enough oil at the other end?

Internals don't need to be damaged, the sump being dented closes up the gap between the pick up and the sump blocking access for oil. Quite a few people have cured problems by knocking out a dented sump.

TurboDoseBro

I seriously hope it's not bad or expensive :sad: I just want to drive the thing when it's well!

Pictures of engine oil sump as requested. I have already patched it up a bit with cold weld as it had a minor leak, as a might as well whilst changing oil last time.

Mr B

That sump been hit more times than frank bruno :-S don't know why people don't fit guard over them or full sump plate, I plated mine from front bumper guard & used lower frame brace as back mounting. other trick is don't dump car so low it a road sweeper.
No idea if sump caused issue to start, possible but so is oilpump related fault.
Did you check your old oil for debris !?
Want pull the oil filter off & inspect that too for dbris & function !
Ideally need look at bearings/caps and crank with sump off as a first step debate on if you want/can rebuild your motor or look at sourcing another motor .
Worthy rebuild won't be cheap even if bearing wells & crank in usable/machinable order.
On good side fair amount of resources new & used in Oz .

Last edited:

TurboDoseBro

LOL.

Yeah I have no idea why people dump the car so low or not maintain a car like this properly. I always believed in mutual treatment between car and driver.

When I had the oil pan out there wasn't much there except for the usual old oil coating, and weirdly enough a very small washer.

One of the mechanics said it most likely isn't the oil pump because the tractor sounds stop eventually, and most likely worn bearings with too much clearance hence taking a long time to build oil pressure if at all.

How much would I be looking to get said bearings replaced or rebuild if that is the issue?

Put yourself in my shoes and honestly tell me if it's worth keeping or should I sell the car and cry to sleep (might do that anyway with either option haha)?

Last edited:

Dangerous Dave

Be looking at around £1500 for a build depending on what you need. I would knock the pan out so its not pushed up anymore then re fill it with out and see if it's that first.

zia

Lol at the oil pressure guage,should be around the 4 mark at start up then dropping to 2 at idle.defo oil pump.one way to check is to take pressure switch out and put proper pressure gauge on there and see what it reads.if its been like that for a while you defo have some damage

Zia

Dangerous Dave

Lol at the oil pressure guage,should be around the 4 mark at start up then dropping to 2 at idle.defo oil pump.one way to check is to take pressure switch out and put proper pressure gauge on there and see what it reads.if its been like that for a while you defo have some damage

Zia

Not it always the case! I had this last week or two (ask read reading on here because he had a phone call off me) I had no oil pressure at all and the engine sounded similar to the vid. My pan looked in the same condition as well I took the pan off and replaced it for a good one! And bingo oil pressure is back and the engine is running as it should.

Mr B

If it a good tidy solid car it worth the effort.
At the moment it all ifs buts & guesses so what you need do is get sump & baffles off & get the shell caps off to check the state of things. If you find spun bearings & severe journal damage thus likely needing new crank etc you know it going be very costly.
Really at age & use of these cars the only proper course of action is full rebuild, parts not overly pricey but all mounts up & if you can't do a lot of it yourself then it really is expensive.
Oil pressure needs looking at in depth, I would remove current oil filter & cut it open for inspection too.
Checking oil relief valve would be good also investigating the washer you found would be good .

Last edited:

TurboDoseBro

Arghh it all sounds like a bummer of a job. Even just re-gasket gooing the sump and cleaning inside was such a messy job. 2/10 do not want. I've booked it in for further inspection at a popular mechanic in a few days so hopefully I'll get better in depth feedback on the condition.

My oil pressure gauge usually just sits in between first increment and 4 and doesn't move even when revving. So either the gauge is broken or something else. I used to drive it a few times when the tractoring lasted ~10 secs, but now it just spends its days sitting around like a princess waiting for saviour in case I damage it further. I won't find much in the filter as I've changed it recently along with the oil change and have probably driven it ~60km since then.

I honestly hope it's the oil pump, but deep down there's that nagging voice saying "hah yeah right, prepare to bring lube for the asshole".

Fusion Ed

Any sound like that is terminal. Pumps dont usually fail, 99% its something else. People always forget when the bearings get a load of wear then oil escapes without building up pressure. Either way something serious is wrong and you need it looked at pronto.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Any sound like that is terminal. Pumps dont usually fail, 99% its something else. People always forget when the bearings get a load of wear then oil escapes without building up pressure. Either way something serious is wrong and you need it looked at pronto.
In a nutshell....rebuild time!