Drivers door stuck!

pulsar kid

i just noyiced my drivers side door catch was missing 2out of 3 screws:shock: and was floating around so i fitted 2new screws and now the doors stuck shut and wount open, starting to think they may have been to long and wount alow the catch to open:doh:, any surgestions?????

Hill_Billy

oh nasty... i dont see anyway off getting the door card of while its shut either..

PM Pulsarboby of the site he might know a trick or two

Last edited:

pulsar kid

today is a night mare! nissan gave me one wrong door hinge so fitted the only correct one, then trying to align it up i noticed the missing screws!! now iam up shit creek without a paddle!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
They gave you the wrong hinge, or like me you didn't realise the top and bottom ones are different?

If you got it closed, you can get it open again... can you give us a bit more of an explanation? Does it feel like the mechanism is stuck on one handle or the other; does it lock/unlock still?
You might be able to push it open from the inside if you could get the catch free enough; depending on what's wrong it might need a slim jim to free the mechanism.

gtirjoey

try pulling the window trim out and see if you can see the catch/linkage only trouble is nissan might have put a box round the catch to stop you/thiefs getting at it.....you should be able to get it open one way or another just a bit of sodding about

pulsar kid

Door card is off, i know whats happend the top screw in the door catch was to long and is stopping the catch from relising, i took the screw out of the pass side and had alook,

it feels like when its locked the handle just lifts all the way up same from the inside .The door wount even shut propley which is a big problem,

and the hinge is wrong took mine both mine off and replaced top hinge and bottom is different

pulsar kid

heres a video to show its not great but it may helpa tad

and this is the catch i meant just pass side and top screw

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Can you see your screws getting in the way now that you have the panel off? Can you get a screwdriver in to free it up a bit?

It might be time for brute force and ignorance; get your feet up and give it a good shove... if it hasn't closed properly, then maybe the latch never engaged, which is also why it won't disengage either?

If it's any consolation, I didn't realise the top hinge and bottom were different until I was getting ready to change them either... but all four have different part numbers and do show as different (i.e. not interchangeable or superseded) parts in FAST.

pulsar kid

ive already kicked the f**ing thing and still no go cant understand why it wount shut proply either?
i have tried giving it a wedge with a srew driver also its just so frustraiting
thanks for replys tho guys

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Get a hacksaw or maybe a grinder on that screw so that the mechanism can clear it?

Not a great prospect given the space etc, but it sounds like the "hook" bit has come up and over, but not far enough to engage the mechanism... but far enough that it's got a good hold on the pin. - Does that sound right?
So you can see the mechanism on the inside of the door move when you move both handles, yes? - It's just not doing anything at the striker-plate end?

pulsar kid

Not a great prospect given the space etc, but it sounds like the "hook" bit has come up and over, but not far enough to engage the mechanism... but far enough that it's got a good hold on the pin. - Does that sound right?
So you can see the mechanism on the inside of the door move when you move both handles, yes? - It's just not doing anything at the striker-plate end?

spot on!!!! these no way of getting any cutting tools in there, ive taken both hinges of to try and wiggle it more but that latch isnt buddging

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Can you not get your hand on the catch mechanism from the inside and try the linkages?

Will closing the door fully reset it?

pulsar kid

i have tried putting my hand from inside the door and tryed freeing the catch,ive tried the pass door catch by pushing the catch in as it would if i was to shut the door then i tried to ping it open and it wasnt having any of it so that idea wount work if you cant do that on the door thats free it wount work on the stuck door! iam really in a pot hole hear

pulsar kid

i yanked the door up and down while me maye from the inside pushed the catch down from the inside if the door and we managed to just free it of, now iam left with a smashed door card, half the skin missing of my nuckles and one very pissed off r owner lol