difference between sr20det gtir headgasket and sr20det gasket

red reading

Personally I really don't like the idea of paying nearly a £100 head gasket only to have to modify it to suit, I used an HKS gasket on mine and it ran 2 bar all day long with out issue, I'm all for saving a few bob here and there but not on something that would need the engine to be removed and stripped down to replace if something isn't quite right, I know it can be done in situ but that's a right pain in the arse as well, Either fit the standard gasket as Bob advises or buy the right engine specific gasket form either HKS or Tomie.

How many times have we all tried to save money only for it to end up costing us twice as much in the end because we've had to do the bloody job twice, Buy cheap buy twice is the old saying isn't it lol.

John
Don't personally like the hks gaskets as the bore size is 88+mm which leaves a large lip around the top of the block (which has a aluminum deck) and the head (which is ali) and leaves you with an area of 1-2mm+ (on 86-87mm bores) that conduct's heat un-evenly and distorts and also promotes detonation via this un-eveness too... me,cambleju and other's have had this happen at high boost and power levels and it scrap's the engine after prolonged use, It's something i noticed some time ago Rob wether people want to listen or not is another thing. The cosworth gaskets need 0.5mm taking out of the dowel holes and fit perfectley they also come in different bore sizes (as well as thickness) depending on piston sizes you have selected .i.e 86 mm pistons you get a 86mm gasket ,87mm piston 87mm gasket and then you can select the thickness you reqire for the compression ratio you want and they are 1.2,1.5,1.8mm

vpulsar

Don't personally like the hks gaskets as the bore size is 88+mm which leaves a large lip around the top of the block (which has a aluminum deck) and the head (which is ali) and leaves you with an area of 1-2mm+ (on 86-87mm bores) that conduct's heat un-evenly and distorts and also promotes detonation via this un-eveness too... me,cambleju and other's have had this happen at high boost and power levels and it scrap's the engine after prolonged use, It's something i noticed some time ago Rob whether people want to listen or not is another thing. The cosworth gaskets need 0.5mm taking out of the dowel holes and fit perfectly they also come in different bore sizes (as well as thickness) depending on piston sizes you have selected .i.e 86 mm pistons you get a 86mm gasket ,87mm piston 87mm gasket and then you can select the thickness you require for the compression ratio you want and they are 1.2,1.5,1.8mm
As you say it's only 0.5mm but it must be tricky to get a perfect hole when you try and open it out, I suppose you could get it done properly as an engineering shop I don't think it's a job I'd personally tackle with my dremel lol, I agree ideally the gasket should match the bore size but I never had any known issue with my engine.

Someone should ask Cosworth to make a gtir pacific gasket ;-).

John

skiddusmarkus

Why do some manufacturers make the gasket bigger than the bore?Don't they trust engine builders to make sure the top of the piston is ging to clear it?

Madpulsardooferfrenchguy-I wouldn't skimp on the headgasket, it could all end in tears.If you buy a quality metal one you can reuse it if you get problems, without having to wait for another part.It also gives more scope for improvements in the future without having to take the head off again.

hi

thanks for all your help. just trying to work out where to get the parts from really now. ( as france is not the best place for parts for this car)

thanks

sam

EVOBAD

head bolts,headgasket from nissan mate u can buy sr20det headgasket set which come with headbolts but ul find they dont fit the bolts are for s14,pulsar bobby will have most things mate giv him pm