cheap way to get negative camber

C

crackerjack

Hey people

Found out something intersting today. I had to replace the bushes and balljoints on both my front lower arms today, and no one sells gtir lower arms (apart from nissan ex japan $$$$) got told that 2wd pulsar arms are like NZ$110 each with bushes and ball joints which actually works out cheaper. Now I happened to have access to some N15 2wd front arms and have found that the n15's are just the same except the rear bush which you need to purchase either a 4wd N15 bush or GTIR bush and swap the 2wd n15 rear bush over. The ball joint sits out a few mm further. which will push the bottom of the wheel out a little more and pull the top in (ie negative camber) Now I havent had an alignment done yet but it has more negative camber for sure. would say between 1/2 a degree to 1 degree. Total cost per arm including new GTIR rear bushes was NZ$150 (around about 50 pounds per arm)

Im not sure if this has ever been mentioned before but there ya go. ask any questions :)

Paul

C

crackerjack

exactly the same thickness the only difference (once the rear bush is changed over) where the balljoint is sitting... it sits further out... so in a way yes i guess it is a slightly wider track but thats not really what you would notice... its more the camber that you notice in handling...

You guys should try it sometime.. just grab an arm from a wreckers, swap your gtir rear bush over (which is dead easy with a vice) and install... took me 20 mins to pull the arm off with really crap hand tools and about 10 mins to put the new one on...

The only thing that had me a little worried is that there is a slight lip on the very outside edge of the arm where the ball joint is which is about 20mm from the standard brake rotor.. i could remember how close the gtir arm came to it.. so if you have thicker rotors it may not work... although you dont actually need the little lip so it could be ground off with a grinder....... cant wait to see what the readings are on the alignment tomorrow :)

paul

C

crackerjack

well after looking closer looks like this pulled around 2 degrees from each side.... so at approx 2.5 degress... but it looks bloody mean!!!! and holds the corners like nothing else

Last edited by a moderator:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
kirko said:
jerking off over a shock absorber probably:lol:
I'll ignore that David :roll:

My comments are the camber mod is fine and another way to "skin a cat".

In terms of track, it can gain only a 1mm or so otherwise it would have more of an affect on camber.

steve963

sorry, but CruiseGTI-R, I was in bath over the bank holiday, went for a rip round the royal cresent in the R!!

C

crackerjack

well was going to get it all on a machine but my head has blown, so off the road YET again!!!