Anyone run an airbox?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
MarkTurbo said:
Its not Tony Bardys car ;-)

As soon as learn to tig thin aluminium sheet properly (and not keep blowing holes in it :lol: )
it's a bit of an art on thin alloy :? :lol:

These air filter/boxes are a brilliant Idea, why on earth Nissan didn't use this configuration in the first place is beyond me. Although because of it's position I can see the intake being a little bit of a heatsoak like the OEM IC but taking advantage of the inlets in the cars standard bonnet it is the best place to mount a cold air inlet on the car imo. It's something I've been looking at for some time now :)

Anyway, I'll be mocking up a prototype in the not to distant future and once it's made so it will easily fit to any car with front mount IC with any standard position turbo (and others with adjustment) I will start making these out of aluminium to sell to anybody interested, they will include the filter box and pipe to link to your turbo.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
ha ha, yes I looked into doing a run of the "SE Nissan" airbox/scoop thingies but they are a real work up (and I hate G/F :lol: ). I do have a complete "SE Nissan" here to take the moulds from but I think the "Tony Bardy" type kit is far more practical, easier to fit and probably works much better.

GTi-R23

Cool, never seen that 'Tony Bardy' type as people are calling it. Great idea, although my oil cooler takes advantage of the main bonnet vent, so I'm not sure how they'd work together, always thought the air flow to the filter on these cars has been rubbish.

stevepudney said:
ha ha, yes I looked into doing a run of the "SE Nissan" airbox/scoop thingies but they are a real work up (and I hate G/F :lol: ). I do have a complete "SE Nissan" here to take the moulds from but I think the "Tony Bardy" type kit is far more practical, easier to fit and probably works much better.
you might aswell sell that one to me then:p

stugtir300

i dont see y folk just dont take out the passenger headlight,itll piss the plod off abit.im making a headlight vent at the minute so i will see how that goes.

Animaldaz

The indicator vent looks ok, but i agree with steve about the headlight one.

Cant remember whose this is, think it might be Dasliva

Animaldaz

the only thing about using the brake duct is that its so low, and in heavy rain you could hit a puddle and suck up a load of water into the engine, particulary with it being on the N/S.

MINESGTIR

Animaldaz said:
the only thing about using the brake duct is that its so low, and in heavy rain you could hit a puddle and suck up a load of water into the engine, particulary with it being on the N/S.
sorry mate but load of rubbish.. the brake duct is a good couple of feet high and plus the water would have to flood that and THEN get sucked up the filter a further foot and a half ? :der: unless you drive through a river then it will never happen...

ive driven through BIG BIG puddles and in heavy rain there is a tiny bit at the back of the duct.. brake hard it comes out... NEVER had a problem and of course in my opion the best place for a cold air feed. :thumbsup:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
MINESGTIR said:
sorry mate but load of rubbish.. the brake duct is a good couple of feet high and plus the water would have to flood that and THEN get sucked up the filter a further foot and a half ? :der: unless you drive through a river then it will never happen...

ive driven through BIG BIG puddles and in heavy rain there is a tiny bit at the back of the duct.. brake hard it comes out... NEVER had a problem and of course in my opion the best place for a cold air feed. :thumbsup:
well thats "your" opinion and thats super, smashing, great but others have different opinions which are also just as great...........each to there own :thumbsup:

Radleigh

Water wont get sucked up into the vent, It'll only go into it if the waters been driven over, and seeing as the wheel is behind the vent, I can't see it happening.

I know of a few BIG power Cossies that have there filters mounted low down at the front of the car, and they never have any issues!

Animaldaz

Well i have seen numerous different cars suffer from water ingress into the engine due to having a low mounted intake. So its entirely up to you but when you have seen what can happen even if it is unlikely it tends to put you off.
Im not dissing your intake set up, i think its very well made and im sure if you decide to replicate it and sell them they will go like hot cakes but i shallnt be putting my name down.

skiddusmarkus

Ever seen the video of the guy whose hand got too close to a non filtered turbo?Made a nice mess of his fingers as they got sucked in.Using brake duct is a risk,increased by having an enclosed air box as there is less pressure escaping through gaps.

Its up to the individual but it can happen and hydrolocked engiens make you cry.