air filter

P

pulsarboby

ok here you go, for all those of you that are running these mushroom hks type air filters, 'youll love this':lol:

ive seen 2 different cars that ive worked on, with boost problems, which turned out was caused through these filters!
in both occasions the filter element had eroded due to water rotting it. then you end up with big chunks of it that break away that get sucked and wedged in your turbo and induction system, and funnily enough there nearlly always the green elements.

as your all well aware this is not good for your engine, and will severely restrict power with tiny bits of foam blocking intercoolers and anything else with a small bore:lol:
so imo these style of filters arent worth jack sh1t, if you do have one because you like the look of it, then keep a regular check on it 'and that means remove it' and check the underside, as this is where water will be drawn too and where bits will start to break off and rot (like an exhaust they rot from the inside out;-)

i personally think that the blitz gauze filters are the best, and maintenance free (other than an airline blow through)

on a gtir especially, 'due to filter location' foam element types are not much use as the element sits right under vent where all the rain pours in when your driving along which gets absorbed! and in turn this will pull a lot of moisture through your induction system

so you can shove em up your jacksies:lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Odin

I just buy the biggest K&N I can fit in the space available ;-)

Rob

PaulB

pulsarboby said:
the element sits right under vent where all the rain pours in when your driving along which gets absorbed! and in turn this will pull a lot of moisture through your induction system
cheap water injection !

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've got the M's K&N, its massive and I don't have to worry sucking in foam junks. It gets a clean/air blast every 5,000 miles(ish) just to remove the larger junks of crap and wildlife.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
every time i buy a new R it always has those stupid HKS foam things - i fooking hate them, they are also **** poor performance wise. its always the first thing to go - the best thing about them is people are willing to pay lots of money for said piece of sh1t which goes towards the replacement :-D

rossdj1983

bit off topic i know, but has the z32 afm got the same size neck as the stock afm? or do i have to get yet another k&n? (please tell me i dont)

stumo

foam filter= shyte
gauze filter= no filtering at all

only K+N type filters are the ones to go for

R

R-Factor

Anyone know if these are any good. Its one of those blitz sonic filters with the heat shielding around it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130087178907&rd=1&rd=1

Its seems too cheap when compared to a website selling them for £204 and I dunno what they're like performance-wise. If its a piece of shite I'll probably just buy a trusted K&N induction kit. I just really need to get rid of that mushroom "thing" I have at the moment.

thanks

kenan

South West Regional Rep
It's a Blitz Style, so a rip off copy. You can get the Apex filter for about £70 delivered. This is what I'm going for.

R

R-Factor

thanks for that. Thought there was something odd about that price.

Looks like I'll have to get the k&n induction kit. I might just check out that apex filter you mentioned too.

J

jpward

R-Factor said:
Anyone know if these are any good. Its one of those blitz sonic filters with the heat shielding around it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130087178907&rd=1&rd=1

Its seems too cheap when compared to a website selling them for £204 and I dunno what they're like performance-wise. If its a piece of shite I'll probably just buy a trusted K&N induction kit. I just really need to get rid of that mushroom "thing" I have at the moment.

thanks
Dont buy rubbish lke that unless you like max power :lol: :lol:

I already posted a link to K&N and you can spec your own filter there, ie the largest one you can fit in the space and it will work out cheaper!!