air filter

davey red.r

hello i have the green mushroom filter on my car was going to replace it soon anyone got any advice what one is best suited for the r whats them sonic ones like?cheers davey;-)

EVOBAD

davey red.r said:
hello i have the green mushroom filter on my car was going to replace it soon anyone got any advice what one is best suited for the r whats them sonic ones like?cheers davey;-)
they all do the same job mate all depends on what make u want its like trainers mate u pay for the brand :-D

P

pulsarboby

yeah i agree!
if i were you davey i would steer clear of the foam element type, could tell you a few horror stories about those things!
but there all about the same really, at the end of the day there just air filters!

PaulB

ive got a brand new filter you can have for a tenna if u like davey, you can have a look at it when you come round. HKS style thingy.

J

jpward

Dont know why people still continue to get ripped off by buying over expensive filters!

Look on the K&N site under custom type filters and then stick the biggest one you can fit in! It will be about £30-40 quid from K&N direct or halfords can order them in go on have a look they even give a flow/power rating if i remember correctly!

Garef

Can u not fit a K&N for an Evo6? I'm sure that I read somewhere that with a few modifications this could be done. Supposed to be way bigger than the one meant for the R.

J

jpward

Garef said:
Can u not fit a K&N for an Evo6? I'm sure that I read somewhere that with a few modifications this could be done. Supposed to be way bigger than the one meant for the R.
:frusty:

Seams people are obsessive with fitting evo parts these days!

Clicky me and select size

kenan

South West Regional Rep
jpward said:
Dont know why people still continue to get ripped off by buying over expensive filters!
Your right, but I like the look of the Apexi filter :oops:

geoff pine

Im sure if blitz or hks sponsored a filtration test there's would come out on top who paid for this independent test . Its all ways been argued that if you keep the original air filter and drilled alot o holes in the air box you would get the type of results shown in that test.

CanadianR

pulsarboby or another member with a few brands of filter kicking around should do a test then. Would be interesting to see.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
When I was in teh GTROC another member worked in car induction systems. He did a tech do in teh club mag, I'l dig it out and post it up tongith if I can find it.

bracpan

K&N and Apexi are the best around good value and do what they say.
To say all airfilters are the same is total rubish. HKS and Pipercross look great but dont filter well. I used to have a test of them but cant find the link at the moment.
I have used K&N for over 20 years and never seen any dust etc on the wrong side of the filter, they can also be cleaned and used again and again.
I believe Forge used to do a EVO K&N filter for the Pulsar.
Good luck
Phil

geoff pine

Of all the gtir's that i have seen over the last 5 years hks seams to be the most popular filter, so whos useing which brand i had a hks and now have a blitzs.But what the hell i also have an exeddy clutch and willwood brakes.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The first page shows where the other test was done. This has been kicking around for a long time but is reasonably indicative.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/1/

On my NA I had ages ago I played a lot with air filters etc and found induction length had significantly more affect than filter type.

Here is one of the funniest tests I've seen to demonstrate the point.

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/peterburgess/flugelhorn.html

Induction lengths on turbo cars are completely different so don't go installing a fluglehorn, I'm just trying to show there is a load of old rubbish in air filter marketing and Geoff's "old school" drilling a few holes in the air box can be better than some of them.

IMO, don't buy a "kit", just buy the biggest filter that will fit in the space.