Air Filter??

antgtir

What have people found to be the best filter for power increses on their R??

I was told the old HKS Metal cone jobby was the best, i just cant remember the actual name lol :roll:

Can anyone tell me anything different ??

Cheers, Ant.

P.s. I was told the HKS Foam filter is a bad design as when the filter material breaks down it gets pushed through and heated up resukting in it sticking to the turbo blades and creating an imbalance thus self distruct time, can anyone confirm?? :?

paz

I have the HKS mushroom filter, seems to do the job well enough, although I've nothing to compare it against.

Paz

O

Odin

I'd get a blitz/apexi or K&N myself fella, I'm proberly going to go for a 3" apexi myself :wink: .

rob

geoff pine

its called[ hks super power flow] it was when i brought mine. theres a thread on here links to a site that tested all the major ones think blitzs came out on top

bracpan

I agree with rob, K&N or Apexi, remember reading a test where these 2 beat the others in all ways, power and fitration.
I personally have always used K&N for over 20 years and never had any problems or any sign of dust inside the filter.
Cheers
Phil

antgtir

vpulsar said:
I'd get a blitz/apexi or K&N myself fella, I'm proberly going to go for a 3" apexi myself :wink: .

rob
The mechanic at the "garage" said that the Apexi filter was probably a close second to the HKS Super Power Flow as the micon value was quite high / low however you view it.

I have the M's K+N at the mo although its not on the car as it seemed to upset it :? I was tolod that it may be something to do with the earth on the fuel pump and putting the filter on is just causing the problem to become more apparent :?

The Apexi is only a small thing in comparison to the mushroom and normal cone filters you see, it would probably sit inside the standard air box base :shock:

Im still undecided about filter make but i will probably stick with the jap makes. What do people think??

Cheers, Ant. :wink:

A

andyz

I fitted a Blitz SUS filter the other day before I killed my car and was very happy with it. Seems very good quality and was easy to fit, even tho the instructions were in japanese. Sounded very nice, looks good, and seemed to smooth the engine out and improve response. And its that big im sure it would probably flow more air then you will ever need. :D

gtirneil

ive got a HKS metal jobby, it sounds awesome sucking in, dont know about the power tho but sounds and looks awesome 8)

JIMMYBACK

blitz top of my list apexi second ive got a simota cos ive heard good things so hard to say really piper x :shock: :lol: :lol: nuff sed :wink:

S

str_motorsport

hi mate, thake a uniflow rampod kit!!you will love it!the best filter i hjave ever seen!amazing sound, great power gain too!amazing quality with the aluminium maf adapter.
get the red foam, the most flowing one!

http://www.uniflow.com.au/

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
antgtir said:
The Apexi is only a small thing in comparison to the mushroom and normal cone filters you see, it would probably sit inside the standard air box base :shock:
True, but it seems to do the business on my car when combined with the mongoose (+19bhp :wink: )

A

alfyboy

ive seen all the major filters tested on a Skyline GTR, the best for power gains and filtration was the Apexi/simota. the worst was the HKS mushroom, then blitz, then K&N . ill try and find the link to the page and post it, makes for interesting reading. (if your sad like me)

antgtir

Fast Guy said:
antgtir said:
True, but it seems to do the business on my car when combined with the mongoose (+19bhp :wink: )
How have you got yours mounted mate?? Is it sat in the box so its getting the cold air flow as standard??

Think this may be the one id go for, what is the actual name / spec for this one mate??

Did you have any prob's after fitting it?? i.e. running rough on throttle?? I seemed to get this when i fitted the M's K+N :?

Ant.

P.s. Cheers for everyone's replies :wink:

Cris

In theory you want a filter in an airbox.

Why because it will isolate the air from other heat sources (the engine, turbo, rad etc). Also you really want still air in the airbox. The fast air moves the lower pressure it is therefore the less dense. Likewise on the heat front.

If you were really clever you'd have a RAM air type system like the Jap bikes do. Generally these only help about 100mph and are very difficult to see benefits for on a dyno because they don't have the fast moving air you get at 100+.

In theory one of these (http://www.pipercross.net/viper_product.asp) would do the trick. I have no idea if they are actually any good (they don't list the GTiR in this application) but the concept seems sound. I'm a little concerned the chamber where is the filter is (I assume) looks quite small.

G

goob

i use a piperx filter,seems to be fine and sounds good, but then ive not had anything to compare it against i guess!