why not to remove that rear rocker breather and pipework

T

tro||

D-Fens said:
The whole system is a pile of crap. Most blow by gases are burnt fuel, very little is unburnt fuel.
the main by products of burnt fuel are unburnt hydrocarbons and the main by product of the combustion process carbon monoxide.

The whole process of internal combustion is hideously inefficient, i cant see where some of you are having trouble with this unburnt fuel thing :?

turblio

I do agree the valve is not a variable that you would want to rely on and yes it requires checking regularly

A

AJ4

If your having so much unburnt fuel returned to the inlet tract via the underside of the pistons I'd be more worried about bore wash :lol:

The fact still stands, its unmetered air / fuel in an unknown quantity and composition and the only thing it does is hurt performance.

Celicas from what I can remember have an EGR valve where waste exhaust gases are fed back into the inlet system. Supposedly the exhaust molecules get in between the fuel molecules and slow down the rate of combustion, thus allowing more time for the fuel to be burnt and therefore less emissions. But it hammers the power down as well as you would expect. Feeding in exhaust gases that have leaked past the piston into the crankcase is exactly the same, except now it mixed with lovely oil fumes as well :D At best, its a dodgy emissions system that may or may not make any difference to the environment, at worst its a crap system that lowers your combustion speed and loses power, and cokes up your inlet tract and decreases its efficiency with oil residue :D

I thought you'd removed all that crap from your car anyway, so dont be such a hypocrite :D:D:D

O

Odin

Since I removed all the emissions cr@p my intercooler pipe work has been spotless, I'm trying to work out just what I can remove from the underside of the throttle bodies as well, Their must be loads of stuff to do with the charcoal canister that can be binned all together ;-) .

It's just knowing what to remove and what to keep ?, Has anybody got a pic of the underside of a UK car's throttle bodies ?.

When you buy a set of throttle bodies from demon tweeks or webber they don't come with all that 5hite on them do they :? ;-) , So I say bin as much as you can.

Rob

T

tro||

AJ4 said:
I thought you'd removed all that crap from your car anyway, so dont be such a hypocrite :D:D:D
i certainly did remove it, but i also bothered my **** to find out exactly why it was there in the first place, what it did and how..... and why i dont bloody want it on there :lol:

your all focusing to much on the words unburned fuel in the sense of seeing it as petrol, this is not the case, it is the molecular structure of what makes the petrol, i.e hydrocarbons, whats a hydrocarbon ? it is any chemical compound that is made up of hydrogen and carbon. It is this unburnt fuel (hydrocarbons) that can cause problems with degridation of oil quality and emissions, it is the build up of unvented excessive crank case pressure that can blow oil seals.

unvented means breathers blocked off.

If you re-read my original post about the pcv you would see that the standard ecu is mapped to take into account the recirculation of these gases into the inlet, where it is burnt during the combustion process, that post wasn't pulled out of my anus but based on a technical paper detailing the purpose of the pcv,

i cant see where this problem with this unburnt fuel thing is, what the fook do you think the catalytic convertor was for ?

Most modern cars employ a three-Way cat. It reduces nitrous oxides into nitrogen and oxygen and it oxidizes unburned harmful hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide into water and carbon dioxide.

carbon monoxide is created during the combustion process which the majority of passes out of the exhaust with its good old mate mr nasty hydrocarbons. Surely you can see the relationship here between exhaust gas i.e waste products from the combustion process, what leaves the exhaust and what gets passed the rings as blow by.....?

yep, thats right, what comes out of the exhaust in large quantities also gets past the rings as blow by in smaller quantities, now if exhaust gas contains hydrocarbons so will the blow by :thumbsup:

i could waffle on some more about oily inlets and why i wont be having re-circed emissions crap on my car but i wont :-D

all i'll say is i will be running a modified breather system that will quite nicely deal with any blow by and the problems they can cause :p

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tro||

Thunder God said:
When you buy a set of throttle bodies from demon tweeks or webber they don't come with all that 5hite on them do they :? ;-) , So I say bin as much as you can.
they also come with standalone managment, are intended for race cars and probably have a disclaimer somewhere saying not for road use.

it may not be there for the benefit of maximum avavilable horsepower but the standard breather and pcv set up is there for a reason, nissan didn't spend time and money for the sake of it

A

AJ4

lol, I have to say that your the last person I would have thought would be in favour of an obsolete Nissan system :D

Mine is vented to atmosphere anyway, shortly to be pumped out to atmosphere, but thats another story :lol:

T

tro||

AJ4 said:
lol, I have to say that your the last person I would have thought would be in favour of an obsolete Nissan system :D
i never said i was in favour of it ;-) but on a road car it is there for a reason :thumbsup:

A

AJ4

so who has a road car ?? :D:D;)

you still haven't convinced me of any benefits to it, its there for emissions only and it hurts power. A) I dont give a stuff about emission with my 12 mpg car and B) I like having more power. You've been at your cheaters gas again, haven't you ? Someone posted a thread earlier asking about 'NOS', I'm sure as a fellow user you should go and answer him ;) :D:lol:

T

tro||

think of your great grand children :shock:

you dont want them wheezing like a 60 a day lambert smoker and having 3 fingers and webbed feet do you :lol: :lol: :lol:

A

AJ4

Well I live on the Isle of Wight and I've just ****ed my sister so the chances of 3 fingers and webbed feet are pretty high naturally :lol:

T

tro||

turblio said:
Said like a true champion Ross, nothing wrong with you mate well done!! lol
there is something wrong with him :shock:

he was in there so quick after i'd finsished with her that it wasn't ky jelly that lubed her up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

it was still warm and swimming :shock:

youngsyp

Just to drag this up again, does anyone know what size 'plug', I'd need to replace the PCV with ? I.e. what thread size and pitch.

That'll be the final part gone then !

Cheers

Paul

rayman75

are you on about the little valve on the back of the rocker cover ?? if so it 3/8 bsp. well thats what i have used anyway.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
rayman75 said:
are you on about the little valve on the back of the rocker cover ?? if so it 3/8 bsp. well thats what i have used anyway.
Yeah, I think thats what Simon Norris, "winds in there" as well and i does fit with a little encouragement.....................

but if you think about it, your not that likley to find a BSP thread on a car thats completely metric really are you....................but if it works for you :-D

Last edited:

rayman75

gotta agree with you there all jap stuff is metric, i just put some ptfe tape round it and it went in there without trouble. bsp and metric thread are very close anyway.

boucherie

has anyone got any pics to show exactly what they have done, or could someone PM me with an idiots guide to doing it, seeing as my cars off the road i might as well try this setup and see how i get on!

youngsyp

3/8 BSP, righto. There's a lot more nice shiney plugs available in that size so, I'll go for that.

Steve, I like your idea but, I don't have the equipment to cut up a spark plug or weld it back up again. Thanks anyway though !

Thanks chaps.

youngsyp

boucherie said:
has anyone got any pics to show exactly what they have done, or could someone PM me with an idiots guide to doing it, seeing as my cars off the road i might as well try this setup and see how i get on!
It's all very simple bud. Just look where the hose from PCV on the back of the rocker cover (drivers side) goes to. Now, remove all that and loop the intake for 4 and 3 together with some 5mm bore silicon/rubber hose (I found rubber hose is best as, some fuel or possibly old oil mist, get's into the intake manifold and into these pipes. The silicon pipes weep it!) and 2 and 1 together (you'll see what I mean. Remove the PCV and replace with a 3/8 BSP plug/blank.

If you want to do the whole lot properly, get an aftermarket catch tank, plumb it in and vent it to atmosphere. This will mean no more crankcase gases and oil mist in the intake pipe, to warm the intake charge, dilute your fuel and coat the intake track with oil.
Clean the intercooler, intake pipe and turbo outlet with petrol and you're all set.

You should find the car is more responsive afterward and, your idle will be lower. I found I got slightly better mpg too.

Hope that helps.