Why Does It Happen To My Car

O

Odin

Personally I think you should front mount the oil cooler and I've told you this plenty of times, I don't like the way its mounted and think this is the problem myself.

But I'm glad its been a simple fix mate.

Rob

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Fazz said:
Do you mean 6 bar on standard uk oil pressure gauges? where reading is 0, 4 or 8.
If so then I've only ever seen all GTI-R's run about 4bar and increase slightly to 4.5/5 when on boost...

Yours maybe has a different gauge/reading. Just said I'd mention it...

It might be the cause of forcing the oil out of the weakest point perhaps the oil cooler....?

at least nothing major lad.
You can't of seen many SR20's running healthy oil pressure then :lol:

Before I rebuilt my engine, even when I'd given the car a right old thrashing the oil pressure would sit at just under 6 on the standard gauge when on boost. Now, rebuilt it cold starts and bangs upto 8 then settles at 6 off boost and on boost sits just under 8. Before you say "thats to high" blah blah blah it's been like that for 18 months or so now and no problems.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Odin said:
Personally I think you should front mount the oil cooler and I've told you this plenty of times, I don't like the way its mounted and think this is the problem myself.

But I'm glad its been a simple fix mate.

Rob
Like I said in my reply to the PM you sent me. Get a "NEW" cooler and front mount it.

O

Odin

stevepudney said:
Like I said in my reply to the PM you sent me. Get a "NEW" cooler and front mount it.

Great minds Ah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

GTiR_Mic

Fazz said:
Do you mean 6 bar on standard uk oil pressure gauges? where reading is 0, 4 or 8.
If so then I've only ever seen all GTI-R's run about 4bar and increase slightly to 4.5/5 when on boost...

Yours maybe has a different gauge/reading. Just said I'd mention it...

It might be the cause of forcing the oil out of the weakest point perhaps the oil cooler....?

at least nothing major lad.
It runs 4 bar off boost and when I was driving home, I was sitting at 60-70mph all the way and it sat at 6 bar. My engine has been like that since I got the car.

Rob, Would I be able to use your lines as a guide to get new ones made up to run a frony mounted oil cooler. Im off tomorrow and Wednesday so give me a shout when you get back.

Great minds................you two..........................:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mic

Last edited:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I have new oil lines for the Mocal that i never used if you remember. They are in the back of my car just now.

You can buy them off me next weekend if you want... Unless you need them sooner...?

Rishi

P

Pete

all i can say is its a good job you have got friends ;-) ;-) :lol: :lol: 8)

GTiR_Mic

Cheers for that Rishi, I will take them off you if they can reach from the back right to the front of the car.

Mic

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
GTiR_Mic said:
Cheers for that Rishi, I will take them off you if they can reach from the back right to the front of the car.

Mic

They will fit mate. There are for front mounting the Mocal cooler. Same are the ones already in my car if you can remember?

Rishi

GTiR_Mic

Ah right mate, just spoke to Mocal regarding my cooler and said that it was my 2nd one that had burst.

They now gave me a 235mm one half price with braded lines for the front mount kit.

Mic

antgtir

GTiR_Mic said:
Ah right mate, just spoke to Mocal regarding my cooler and said that it was my 2nd one that had burst.

They now gave me a 235mm one half price with braded lines for the front mount kit.

Mic
Sorry to hear about the troubles matey, but as has already been said at least it was something relativelt cheap and minor compared to what it could have been.

Just out of interest how much are they charging for the cooler?

Good luck with the fitment and use lol, tbh i cant remember the last person that had a problem as you have had that had their cooler front mounted:? maybe the excessive heat is just to much for the material being used to construct these coolers.

Ant.

P

pulsarboby

i would have wanted it for nothing mic:shock:
you should have gave them a real bollocking, and told them that they were lucky there not getting a bill for a new engine, seeing as you could have pumped a whole sump full of oil out of it, and the clean up bill for the engine!
go back and kick there ass, dont pay another penny

GTiR_Mic

I am getting it for just over £30.00 Ant.

The reason that they are giivng for the cooler failing could be.......due to the cooler being made of alluminium and siiting on top of the engine the vibration of the engine could have caused the cooler to fail.

So I am now going to ry and front mount it, witht he help of my friends ;) Rob :lol: :lol: IF you wnt to that is.

Mic

GTiR_Mic

The cooler has been sitting top of the engine with the fittings facing the window.

The bottom section right in the corner of the cooler has been going, I am sure there is some rubber mounting on it.

Mic

O

Odin

I don't mind helping with the fitting dude, Just as long as it doesn't end up at mine for another year :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

GTiR_Mic

:lol: :lol: It won't end up there for another year mate.

Just away to order a few more things for it as well.

Mic

boucherie

Mic,

what sort of brackets did you have for the cooler as ive used some spare alloy and made a pair up which have a bit of flex still in them and the cooler is free to move about (within reason)

Thanks

Ian

GTiR_Mic

Ian,

I nevber made any brackets for the cooler, they where already on the car when I got it.

That have chopped about with teh old top mount frame etc to make up somthing for it.

Will get a few picstures for you tomorrow to let you see.

Mic