Why Does It Happen To My Car

GTiR_Mic

From the title you may gather my car has f*cked up again :(

I picked it up last night from the garage in Denny about 8:30pm, then I drove it back up the road to Aberdeen (200 Miles)

The car was running great all the way home, still had it's boosting problem though (Went on boost then stuttered) It was running 6 bar of oil pressure on the motorway and most of the drive home.

I get to the last mile and a bit to get to my house and then there is a load of smoke coming from the back of the car and just before I get in the drive a lick of flames came out the bonnet :(

Got in the drive and opened the bonnet to find the engine is completley covered in oil, I have no Idea how this has managed to happen. I looked over it this morning and can't see thing at all.

I haven' gien up on the car yet, I am just pissed off nd upset that I have just made myslef skint just beofre Christmas and all the nmoney I have spent only lasted about 198 miles and that is it.

Mic

boucherie

Sh*t mic not again, its not something like the oil cooler hoses havent been done up right or maybe the coolers split which will have released oil everywhere cos i had that with my old cooler, somehow i put a hole in the plate and when it opened up the oil made contact with the manifold and luckily only smoked.

Its worth just checking the basics visually but if its something bigger then could it simply be the people who did the work on the car missed something when re-assembling?

GTiR_Mic

Im going to have another look at it in a bit, just going to go out for a drive to clear my head.

I have changed the oil cooler already due to the last one getting a hole in it, it does sem a similar sittuation but I don't understand why as the new coole has done bugger all miles on it since I put it on.

Mic

P

Pete

really really sorry to hear that mic just go out for a drive first clear your head and then later on go and check everywhere and then double check again :shock: :shock: :doh: :oops: :sad: :sad:

boucherie

it could be that when it was removed it picked up a small prick in the side and that the root cause, you could always remove the cooler and pressure test it with an airline and any residual oil left in the cooler will either stay where it is or come out if theres a failure on the cooler. Ideally you need a male/male adaptor that you can screw the oil hoses into and bypass the cooler just so you can eliminate it from your findings

P

Pete

plus remember look at we was talking about on MSN worth a look just to rule it out :)

P

pulsarboby

not the oil feed pipes to the turbo is it? perhaps oil as been spraying out of one of the banjo connections straight onto exhaust manifold! or maybe its the rubber pipe from turbo back to sump?all those will go onto exhaust at its hottest point and could ignite, i would check round there first buddy!
by the way you are one unlucky bugger! other than myself never known anyone to have so many problems, wish you the best of luck with it

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's blindingly obvious but you haven't removed or left the dipstick out a bit? I know someone (cough cough) who did this and got a lot of smoke and an oil covered engine...

GTiR_Mic

Dip stick is in and siiting fine.

I just don't really want to look at the car just now, it has been such a probglem since I got it but I don't want to get rid of it.

Mic

P

pulsarboby

stop being a lazy git and get digging to find the prob!
youll only have the ump with it and everything else, untill you know what went wrong with it, it maybe something really simple!

bawsack

Selling Up..
dude no way, hope you get her sorted mate. dont by any means give up on it bud.
have a couple beers dn set about her tomorow

GTiR_Mic

I will have a look at it tomorrow once I get up. Going to pop to Rob's get the rest of the oil I have there and maybe a few tools ;)

Fill it up and get it running to find the leek if there is one.

....and i will not be giving up at all, the money I have spent (Just a ball hair away from £20k) and im not going to let it go.

So if anyone wants to give me a hand just let me know :lol: :lol:

Mic

GTiR_Mic

Right I have found the problem on the car.....my oil cooler is leaking.

I find it starnge that this is my 2nd Mocal Oil cooler and it is caused a leek.

Can anyone shed some light on this at all?

Mic

GTiR_Mic

It isn't to bad, at least it wasn't a major problem with the engine, and there was still plenty of oil in there as well.

So just get a new oil cooler and Im away :)

Mic

Fazz

GTiR_Mic said:
It was running 6 bar of oil pressure on the motorway and most of the drive home.

Do you mean 6 bar on standard uk oil pressure gauges? where reading is 0, 4 or 8.
If so then I've only ever seen all GTI-R's run about 4bar and increase slightly to 4.5/5 when on boost...

Yours maybe has a different gauge/reading. Just said I'd mention it...

It might be the cause of forcing the oil out of the weakest point perhaps the oil cooler....?

at least nothing major lad.