whats the best clutch to use?

Sam_M

Cant comment on the excedy, but I would recommend the Helix Organic, you can get them from Rallynuts and a simliar price to what you`ve posted. Lovely feel, dont think its much heavier than the standard, and can handle about 320lbs torque. For what your running that would be more than enough I should think. Im guessing you`d be around 280ft lbs at 300bhp.

Sam_M

I believe the paddle clutch has a really strong bite to it, better for track action, not so friendly for traffic use as you`ll have a left leg like a rugby player. The organic allows for a bit of slip so easier on the transmission plus it feels more like a stock clutch. Ive only had a Helix so cant coment really on reliability of others, but generally stay away from the really cheapies, I think its a bit of a lottery with those with regards to reliability.

culzwright

ok cheers, so just try a get a organic clutch then? dont really want another gearbox going! and a organic one would be cheaper? what price do i wana pay for tidy one? is there much different in length of life between a paddel clutch and a organic one?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
do nismo still do a clutch ? as i was told these feel like stock clutches,,
I don't know, but mine had one fitted a couple of years ago so if they have stopped it wasn't long ago.
The previous owner told me it's a Nismo twin paddle jobbie, and I'd say it was organic based on the fibres coming out around the clutch fork.

Yeah, feels like a normal clutch... although I haven't driven another GTiR to compare it with. I'll take a look at it this weekend, because it needs to come out to replace the release bearing.
It is a little on-or-off, but it's ok for my wife to use...

Last edited:

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
do nismo still do a clutch ? as i was told these feel like stock clutches,,
they did 3 years ago :thumbsup:
i got the nismo organic and its a dream to drive :thumbsup::thumbsup: and it comes with a lightened f/w happy days :-D but cant remember what i paid 4 it :oops: got it from nengun japan

GTiR-Aholic

Sorry if I'm repeating posts (no time to sit and read :oops: lol just giving my 2pence..)

I wouldn't suggest that paddle clutch in the link.. exedy is a good clutch but paddle has a strong bite and may be annoying on local roads after a while.. you're much better off getting a standard exedy if you're not looking to do more to your R and leave it running as it is.. otherwise a twin plate would be the next step :thumbsup:

I've got the os giken twin plate + flywheel.. it's great however not cheap.. I think there's cheaper twin plates out there definitely on ebay.

hi people, just changing the gearbox on the pulsar and been told the clutch is on its way out, what one would you recommend? running 1 bar of boost, fmic, full exhaust, apexi air filter, round 300 bhp? dont wana spend big money but seen this on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-SUNNY-...66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50 what do you think? or would a normal cheaper one be ok? thanks

johnsy

imo stay away from organic plate, iv had 2 an neither lasted a year, car is only pushing out 280,and if you like to launch you'll kill it

iv just had an osgiken super single fitted,and the pick up is better the bite you'll get used to,

red reading

helix organic with uprated cover by helix,420lbft torque numerous launches,stripped and checked a few weeks a go and still fine,my old car helix organic 300 bhp launch everytime i drove it ,gearbox broke first then sold and abused even more by drag racing nut in romania

MORF114

I have a xtreme ceramic 10 puck clutch paid a lot for it including lightweight flywheel it lasted about 4 and a half runs on the strip rated to around 480lb ft i would not recomend any of the extreme range of clutches from my expeiriance with them , nice feel for street driving not to harsh it is dampened instead of the solid ones which are grabby and jurky but once you hit boost its crap and slips like a mofo , clutch is pretty much brand new aswell im running around 300lbs at the hubs .

culzwright

hi people, thanks for the help, ive ordered a ap racing organic clutch of demon tweeks, was £277 quid, hopefully that will be ok, il let you no what i think to it when i get it back!! cheers again

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The previous owner told me it's a Nismo twin paddle jobbie, and I'd say it was organic based on the fibres coming out around the clutch fork.

Yeah, feels like a normal clutch...
Well, today I found out why... it is a normal clutch... and it's f*cked.
Helix Organic or the Exedy? - I'm not chasing the power, but it needs to take ~300bhp without slipping. It's a daily-driver so I don't want a paddle.

red reading

Well, today I found out why... it is a normal clutch... and it's f*cked.
Helix Organic or the Exedy? - I'm not chasing the power, but it needs to take ~300bhp without slipping. It's a daily-driver so I don't want a paddle.
helix organic with a new thrust bearing and a strenthened clutch fork.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Sorry if I'm repeating posts (no time to sit and read :oops: lol just giving my 2pence..)

I wouldn't suggest that paddle clutch in the link.. exedy is a good clutch but paddle has a strong bite and may be annoying on local roads after a while.. you're much better off getting a standard exedy if you're not looking to do more to your R and leave it running as it is.. otherwise a twin plate would be the next step :thumbsup:

I've got the os giken twin plate + flywheel.. it's great however not cheap.. I think there's cheaper twin plates out there definitely on ebay.
you need to a little searching on here for the BAD rep exedy clutch kit have on here, at one point you could be instantly banned for just mentioning there name.

MORF114

I had a stdish exedy in mine running 218kw when i first bought my car was a good clutch it lasted longer than the engine did still a ornament in my workshop because no one wants to use them, cant even give it away.