What to replace while the engines out??

boucherie

right i got my new engine at the weekend (thanks gtirtrack:thumbsup:) so im just wondering what i can replace when the old one comes out. ive already fitted the powerflex gearbox mount bush, is it worth doing the others and wheres the best place to get them?
Im also going to be fitting a new earthing kit as well as the rear coolant hoses and the power steering jobbies from the group buy a while ago.

Is there anything else i should look at doing while the engines out??

also is there any gain in removing the bonnet when doing the engine swap?

J

jpward

boucherie said:
right i got my new engine at the weekend (thanks gtirtrack:thumbsup:) so im just wondering what i can replace when the old one comes out. ive already fitted the powerflex gearbox mount bush, is it worth doing the others and wheres the best place to get them?
Im also going to be fitting a new earthing kit as well as the rear coolant hoses and the power steering jobbies from the group buy a while ago.

Is there anything else i should look at doing while the engines out??

also is there any gain in removing the bonnet when doing the engine swap?
Hello I will be doing the Rack mounts and boots there both fine but easy to do now and not expensive!

Also the other mounts as you say speak to Lionel I am sure he can sort them

If you have not already do the clutch master cyclinder and check the PS and water pumps are ok

Also your 4 front drive boots as you'll almost have them off any way ;-)

O

Odin

While your their you should do all the rear water hoses or at least check them for condition, Another thing I'd do is going around the engine bay looking for rust, And if you find it sort it out first and re paint.

Plus I'd check all the brake lines and PS metal and rubber lines to make sure they are also up to scratch.

Another thing to check is all the wiring to make sure it has no dodgy looking exposed wires, If so re tape as necessary.

Rob

youngsyp

Odin said:
Another thing to check is all the wiring to make sure it has no dodgy looking exposed wires, If so re tape as necessary.

Rob
And use self amalgamating tape or heat shrink sleeving, not electrical tape ! ;-)

Oh, and re-plumb the coolant pipes, to delete the throttle body heater circuit.

Replacing the rear engine buffer would be a good idea but, I think you already have that covered !

O

Odin

youngsyp said:
And use self amalgamating tape or heat shrink sleeving, not electrical tape ! ;-)

I just did all mine with this stuff :doh: , It's a right pain in the ar5e to use because you have to wrap it around and at the same time peel off the protective covering :doh: , Another thing I would also do while you have the engine out is to give the whole bay a good old scrub to clean everything up, Maybe also change the water pump and brake/clutch master cylinders as well if you're feeling flush ;-) :lol: :lol: .

Rob

stumo

Check the brushes in your starter motor, the three starters i've seen (when the engine has been out) have all needed them.

O

Odin

stumo said:
Check the brushes in your starter motor, the three starters I've seen (when the engine has been out) have all needed them.

Good point Stu ;-) , I forgot that I had my starter and alternator rebuilt while my engine was out ;-) , Was only about £40 to refurb the starter motor which is a bargain when you think about trying to get at the f*cking thing if it breaks later on.

Rob

marcymarc

stumo said:
Check the brushes in your starter motor, the three starters i've seen (when the engine has been out) have all needed them.

Glad youve mentioned that mate, another thing to put on my rebuild to-do list.

MarkTurbo

Odin said:
Was only about £40 to refurb the starter motor which is a bargain when you think about trying to get at the f*cking thing if it breaks later on.
If you get rid of that stupid pain in the ass Y bracket on the back of the engine you can have the starter off in 10 mins tops even with the engine in ;-)

CanadianR

Odin said:
Good point Stu ;-) , I forgot that I had my starter and alternator rebuilt while my engine was out ;-) , Was only about £40 to refurb the starter motor which is a bargain when you think about trying to get at the f*cking thing if it breaks later on.

Rob
I saved the £40, and replaced the starter brushes myself. Total cost was about £9 from a local auto electrical place, and about a 1/2 hour of my time.:thumbsup:

J

jpward

CanadianR said:
I saved the £40, and replaced the starter brushes myself. Total cost was about £9 from a local auto electrical place, and about a 1/2 hour of my time.:thumbsup:
Do you remember the type/brand of hand? ;-) ;-)

J

jpward

CanadianR said:
Mine was a hitachi starter motor I think, but it was not the sr20, a ca18de motor.
Must take a look tomorrow night then and see if i can get the little blighters before the weekend thanks!

:lol:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Odin said:
I had my starter and alternator rebuilt while my engine was out ;-) , Was only about £40 to refurb the starter motor which is a bargain when you think about trying to get at the f*cking thing if it breaks later on.

Rob
Best thing i've read today, one thing to get done tomorrow! :thumbsup:

J

jpward

fubar andy said:
Best thing i've read today, one thing to get done tomorrow! :thumbsup:
We should all know by now if it can go wrong in the R it will so try preventative maintance when you can

:lol: :lol: :lol:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
jpward said:
We should all know by now if it can go wrong in the R it will so try preventative maintance when you can

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Too ture, mine started out as a rebuild, now it’s more of an engine bay rebuild :lol:

J

jpward

fubar andy said:
Too ture, mine started out as a rebuild, now it’s more of an engine bay rebuild :lol:
Tell me about it i only needed new bottom end shells

It's got forged pistons and all sorts now :lol:

boucherie

has anyone got a picture of the rear coolant hoses replumbed to remove the throttle body heater circuit when attached to the engine, also what size are the rubber lines.

is it worth replacing the dizzy etc as well,

somehow i cant see this being a straightforward swap over!!