What oil?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Well... what do you use the car for; are you exposed to low ambient temperatures (or high ones)?
10w50 is the recommended grade for road cars in the UK.
5w40 (or even 0w40) is recommended where you see below freezing temperatures (I think)
15w60 maybe if you live somewhere especially hot or run the temperatures right-up on the track (although 10w60 is better yet).

This is all pretty freely available information if you'd searched for it.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Not really its better for protection when hammering it.

In a nut shell:

10w40 - day to day
10w50 - spirited driving
10w60 - hard driving/trackdays

I use Millers NT 10w60, good performance so far and have recently won awards for its Nano Technology oils.

Others use Silkolene; people like Clarke (RCM) uses ProLong due to it offering the best engine wear results against other brands (might be a marketing ploy).

Swings and roundabouts, however make sure you use a quality brands and don't get cheap and cheerful brands.
Also Halfords trackday oils - don't bother results are coming out of poor protection levels.

reckals

Not really its better for protection when hammering it.

In a nut shell:

10w40 - day to day
10w50 - spirited driving
10w60 - hard driving/trackdays

I use Millers NT 10w60, good performance so far and have recently won awards for its Nano Technology oils.

Others use Silkolene; people like Clarke (RCM) uses ProLong due to it offering the best engine wear results against other brands (might be a marketing ploy).

Swings and roundabouts, however make sure you use a quality brands and don't get cheap and cheerful brands.
Also Halfords trackday oils - don't bother results are coming out of poor protection levels.
Thanks Andy. 10w50 it is then!

I used Millers a few times before. top quality oil but the local auto factors never stock it. :sad:i had to order it in. On the other hand they do keep Silkolene pro s! :thumbsup:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You're better off checking what Opie Oils have on special - there are some really good deals, but you've probably just missed the Pro S @ £38.

They're a forum sponsor so I don't feel bad about giving them a free plug; plus our members order quite a bit from them so get a good discount and some neat specials for using them so much. - Just look for the threads. :thumbsup:

PS Sorry for sounding grumpy earlier in this thread. :oops:

reckals

You're better off checking what Opie Oils have on special - there are some really good deals, but you've probably just missed the Pro S @ £38.

They're a forum sponsor so I don't feel bad about giving them a free plug; plus our members order quite a bit from them so get a good discount and some neat specials for using them so much. - Just look for the threads. :thumbsup:

PS Sorry for sounding grumpy earlier in this thread. :oops:

lol you didnt sound grumpy! its just that im too god damn lazy to use the search button-i probably would of found the info i needed!

£38 for silkolene?! That is cheap. i paid €70 last time i bought it at the local auto factors!:doh:

i must check out Opie then so!

johnsy

iv always used MOTUL 300V 10W-40 ,

10W-60 how long does that take to loosen up ,thats fooking treacle

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
10W-60 how long does that take to loosen up ,thats fooking treacle
Oilman said:
In a 10w-40 for example the 10w bit (W = winter, not weight or watt or anything else for that matter) simply means that the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity/flow at low temperature. The lower the “W” number the better the oils cold temperature/cold start performance.

The 40 in a 10w-40 simply means that the oil must fall within certain viscosity limits at 100 degC. This is a fixed limit and all oils that end in 40 must achieve these limits. Once again the lower the number the thinner the oil, a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100 degC etc.
Again it comes down to what and how you drive.

As my car spends most of its time on the track, 60 will be better for me as it’s slightly thicker at 100oC than 40 and it helps to reduce any possible pick-up issues; therefore my engine (hopefully) is better protected.
However if you are just pottering about and a quick blast now and again then 10w40 would be fine for your use.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Oh yeah - my bad!
You need to be paid-up members to get in on the specials. I forgot about that... just another reason to pay your membership fees then!?

reckals

Oh yeah - my bad!
You need to be paid-up members to get in on the specials. I forgot about that... just another reason to pay your membership fees then!?
hmmmmmm... ive been a member over on SO.com for some time and i know Opie is a site trader there also!

If my love for my GtiR grows(lol)over the next few weeks i definitely will consider it!:-D

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
We are on over 800 forums now and while I was doing some sorting out of my list of forums, I noticed that this one is in my top 100 performing clubs.
Only the top 100 get the best offers, but I'm sure you can get 10% off for being on SO.com

People may not like paying them, but the membership fees do go back into the club; it's not a business. We use them to subsidise activities and buy things for club events... there are some good plans in the pipeline.

Having said that, please don't feel like I'm trying to pressure you. It's understandable that when you're new, you may still want to see if the community is worth supporting.
I only paid-up originally because I thought it was worth giving something back after the advice and assistance I'd got from other members. I can understand the other people might do the same.