welding sills and making new rear jack points ??

Hi All i Have just finished 1 sill and undersealed the whole back of car (taken all old stuff of and sanding then new stuff on) will get some photos up as soon as i can. However the car was in a very bad way (taking alot longer than it should ). :( but its gettin there and as to sellin it it will never get sold as being a uk one maybe not the best uk one im sure but im keeping it. As for photos i will get some up very soon

thanks

sam

photos

here goes from start to finish

to

to

to

to

to

Maybe not as good as other peoples work but im happy with it just need to find some 1 who can make the same paint up in a spray can once i have done the other side :)

thanks

sam

grim_d

Looks good to me and no reason why that won't last if you cover the insides with cavity wax.

Were they 5 door sills? Pattern parts I assume, how was the fit of them?

Hi

Yes they are 5 door sills quite easy to fit just need to cut 2 bits out really and away u go un less the inside wall is rotten like mine was that needs replacing but if thats the case most proberly better to reshell like alot of people have said on here i only did the work due to the fact that it is a uk gtir not an import

thanks

sam

grim_d

Last I checked they were about £20-25, about the same for the 5dr arches. Be interested in how much OE sills are.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Can't find the damn piece of paper at the moment, but inner and outer sills were all in the high £60-70 ball park. Not sure if that included vat or not.

grim_d

I think that's actually reasonable since the front arb mounts/floor rails are about £33 each. The pattern 5dr sills do seem to fit quite well though and they are cheap with no wait time.

Eventually there will be very few good shells left and we will all have to do this, so might as well get a bit of practice in. :lol:

Sills on a lot of older cars might as well be consumables, I'm about to replace N/S inner and outer on a MG Midget, the guys who did it last time just popped the full new outer sill over the old rotten one, lazy oiks, happens a lot though.

i think i paid just under 100 quid for the 2 with postage to france cant remember but i think the sills without postage were 58 quid from carz2 and were in stock within a week then posted so about 10 days which i thought was really good

sam

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just got the passenger outer sill today with a note saying the inner sill is also nla.:doh: