welding sills and making new rear jack points ??

Hi All

I am attacking the car after xmas i have bought new sills from carz2.co.uk.

I would like if possible some info or photos of how to weld the new sills in ?? But before that i need to make new jacking points as they have rusted away :shock: Any ideas on how to do that?

I will upload some photos soon as i can.

thanks

sam

danr

front central jack (knuckle on lower cross member), rear centre diff jacking point.
then sits front on arbs, rears same iirc

thanks danr for reply but its not quite what im looking for. What i mean is inside the sills at the back of car there is jack points left and right i do not have as it has rusted away and the end result is that most of the sill has been pushed in where there is nothing to support it.

Has anyone got any photos or how to do list for making the new square jack points inside the sill and how it is ment to meet the sill (flat or slope edge to match the sill's curve) and what size metal?

thanks

sam

johnsy

lol your sills are fooked because there not the jacking points, the 'REAR DIFF' and 'front cross member' are what your supposed to be using....

oki thanks whats the square things then on the back of car that have rotted away then?? (inside the sill's at the back of car??)

im gettin rather confused?

thanks

sam

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
lol your sills are fooked because there not the jacking points, the 'REAR DIFF' and 'front cross member' are what your supposed to be using....
True they're not strictly jacking points, but they are safety stand points and 2 pole lift points, so they are designed to take the weight of the car but with an attatchment that doesn't fook the lip on the sill like a trolley jack does.

vss irvine

they are jacking points for the emergency jack if you need to change a wheel,

this is what he needs to replace as its a common area to get damaged.

service jacking points are the front crossmember, and the rear diff.

you need to replace the sills first. then weld a stronger piece of steel over the top to help strengthen it.

anyone that needs to use the sills as a jack point. make up a piece of wood with the centre cut out of it to let the sill sit inside.

this will stop it getting folded over with the weight..

and as a final note the front arb mounts or chassis rails are not jacking points.

Thanks everyone for trying to help i am uploading some photos to explain a bit better.

On the 1st photo the bit in green do i need to make a new edge coming down? if so i have done what i think needs doing in pink?

question number 2 .

In this photo i have put a red square (its very light i hope you can see it) where i think should be a support of some sort as there is just a little bit of rusty metal hanging down in a square shape?? do i need to replace it ?

i hope this helps as i am slowly confusing myself and most proberly others

thanks

sam

Just recieved the sills this morning but correct me if i am wrong i do need the pink bit that i have on the photos rebuilt so that the sill gets joined to it??

thanks

sam

SIR GTIR

yeah mate you'll need another section in there thats some pretty evil amount of Rust here buddy good luck with the repair

Ok this may sound stupid but has any one got any photos or info on how to remake the edges im missing and what size metal

thanks

sam

SIR GTIR

I'd hazard to say Mate shy of a rare member or 2 your walking unknown territory But i doubt theres anything other than the inner and outter skins the pics have disappeared i can't see them anymore but if you bring a new piece the length of whats there If you can swage the plate to bring it inline with the the remaining Inner sil thats if theres enough to put it out
But if you've attacked a Job like this i doubt your completely without knowledge
I think in this case Mate air the size of to much go heavyer gauge steel Best of luck mate be interested to see your end result

Last edited:

vss irvine

sam, this is how i would do it.

weld in some more steel to the inner sill, extend it down further than any other parts of the sill.

then cut and weld in your new outer sill, the inner section will still be lower.

then fold the inner back up over the outer sill, spot welding it as you go along.

this will give you some rigidity to both sections.

if you think you need to add any steel to the sills, then do it.

id wont go wrong. make sure you seam seal then underseal any bare metal or areas that have been folded.

Thanks for help every one i will most proberly be asking more questions through the process of doing it :-D lol

I shall be buying a sheet of steel beginning of next week then the work shell start im thinking 1.5mm thick is that ok?

shell be ordering some seam seal of the net this week.

thanks

sam

bensmith907

I havent got a spot welder so my dad said to me to drill holes and fill them with weld?

thanks

sam
Would this be a good method to use where there are shearing loads from lifting? welded holes are a great place for cracks. I'm no expert but I would favor spot welding then maybe solid rivets or the very least cherry/tuckerpops. as I say im no expert and im not looking to start a arguement about it.

Looks like a big job either way... Good luck mate would be interested to see the results.;-)