twin/triple plate clutches

A

Anonymous

hi guys,galls and those we`re undecided about(edd :lol: )

i think that either my clutch or my gearbox has gone.on the premis that it`s more than likely to be THAT clutch,i need to find out about a replacement.

i need a clutch that will withstand in excess of 450lb/ft of torque in a drag racing environment but will still be reasonable to drive day to day.i realise there will be a certain amount of judder and will be a bit "on/off".

i was,and probably still,going to www.superclutch.com and get a twin plate clutch from them as they have 1 of the lightest clutch assemblies going but,was wondering if there were any more alternatives as this clutch is approx £1500 plus vat.

any and all info gratefully received :D :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
There's the OS Giken twin plate clutch, I believe it's not too far off that price as well.

A

Anonymous

si.. said:
www.takakaira.com performance parts:- ogura clutch.
bloody geordies :roll: :roll: too busy with their women and beer :lol: :lol: :lol:

E

Edd

Bruce, cheers for that compliment :roll:

Right fron hiteq the OS Giken twin plate is £964 +vat and the release bearing £59 + vat (from memory)

that includes flywheel.
I think it said it was rated to 700PS in the Giken catalogue.

For about another £150 you can have one rated to 800 PS :shock: and it comes with an aluminium cover and is lighter than the previous so should be even easier to drive.

As for torque im not sure but if its rated for 700PS it's gotta hold 550lsbs torque i would have thought.

So the Os Giken is cheaper than superclutch bruce, and if you ever fit THAT clutch in your car again i'm going to drive up to Scotland and smack you :lol: :eek:

A

Anonymous

Edd said:
Bruce, cheers for that compliment :roll:

Right fron hiteq the OS Giken twin plate is £964 +vat and the release bearing £59 + vat (from memory)

that includes flywheel.
I think it said it was rated to 700PS in the Giken catalogue.

For about another £150 you can have one rated to 800 PS :shock: and it comes with an aluminium cover and is lighter than the previous so should be even easier to drive.

As for torque im not sure but if its rated for 700PS it's gotta hold 550lsbs torque i would have thought.

So the Os Giken is cheaper than superclutch bruce, and if you ever fit THAT clutch in your car again i'm going to drive up to Scotland and smack you :lol: :eek:
thanks for that lot edd but remember "i try everything at least twice" :wink: :wink:
from hiteq :shock: any idea on delivery :?: :roll:

A

Anonymous

centerforce, try them not sure they do for sunny but might beable to have custom one made

F

flying postman

clutch

no im afraid not tried to find that out as well

E

Edd

Well you could have mine as that one's there right now, but not much else :roll: :shock: :lol:

If he has them in stock then next day i presume, but not sure if they carry stock off them, they had a shipment recently so i would have thought he would have one :wink:

And you never know third time lucky eh, go on you know Mr Rogers will tell you it's the way you drive and your car that cuased it to go wrong :wink: :x

A

Anonymous

AshBhp said:
Bruce,
Just looked in my OS Giken Gatalog the one u whant is the new, RNNI4 R2CD
Also check link

http://www.ooparts-international.co.jp/index/car/listbybrand/osgiken/clutch/index.html

RNN14 R2CD it can handle 1100kgf/m
I have the same one for my 2.2 its very light on the pedal and its not on and off. Very pleased with it :D

I got my from Checkers http://home.catv.ne.jp/dd/checker/overseas/checkerflag.html
cheers
Ash
is it checker that people have trouble contacting :?:
any ideas on how much 1100kgf/m in lb/ft :?:
done any hard launches with it :?:
thanks ash :D

A

Anonymous

whats the point of having a clutch that can take 800bhp when there is no gearbox on this earth that can take that power for the gtir? :eek:

I had an os goken on mine took it off after 3 months cos it was too harsh.Whats the ogura like?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've got a super clutch and custom lightweight flywheel fitted to my R by the PO but I learnt a lot about it when changing the plates.

It came with the metallic plates and was awkward in traffic but did bite like you wouldn't believe. The gearbox/clutch kept making grinding noises which I'd assumed was down to the GB. In fact all the teeth on one plate had sheared so all that grip was coming from just one plate. At that time the car was running about 320lb/ft torque so this is pretty impressive. It also justifies their claim that 2 plates can take 750lb/ft torque

Decided to change the whole thing for AP but this clutch wouldn't fit because of the special flywheel fitted to the car. I didn't want to go back to an OE flywheel and the difference in weight of the clutch was huge.

Stuck with the clutch but decided to change the metallic plates for organic to make the car simpler in traffic as it was a pain to get moving... especially with lightweight flywheel.

we decided it was poor installation that caused the problem the first time so had a spline alignment tool made and some dowels to slide the gearbox accurately through the clutch.

The clutch was then great, it still required care to move off but it would give some slip and you didn't have any embaressing stalling moments. I couldn't comment on the strength of the organic plates as I never do drag starts for fear of the box lunching itself.
6 months later a piston went and it all came apart again. I found excessive wear on one of the plates and complained to superclutch. :x

All credit to the guy their, he knows his stuff and didn't take offense at my ranting, he always seems happy to talk so I'd recommend a call. 8) The problems I was seeing with excessive wear are common to most twin plate clutches. Alignment is critical and not just in terms of "installation" but also the box is perpendicular to the input shaft and the flywheel is near perfectly flat which requires machining.

I would recommend superclutch over the Jap alternatives because of the support you get in maintaining the clucth and the options available for the plates. All twin plates are a pain and to be honest I don't really need mine but I've still not changed it yet and had the chance twice now. I just can't say enough how critical installation is.

I'm assuming the £1500 includes a new flywheel otherwise it sounds pricey. I'm getting the plates off Superclutch again for about £200 and am going for the organic again as it will take 400lb/ft all day long whilst still usable in traffic. I think there are 4 types of plates available so best telling superclucth your requirements. I thought the full kit was only about £750 last time I looked so I assume you're getting something else for your £1500.

Summing up... :roll: before everyone dies of boredom.

If you don't really need a twin plate then quit whilst your ahead as they are a lot of hassle. If you need a twin plate then I would recommend superclutch as you'll need the support.

Cheers,
Jim.

A

Anonymous

hi jim,
that`s just the kind of useful info i was after.as it stands now,the car is running with a "conservative" ignition map and is putting out in excess of 400lb/ft of torque.there`s also a doubt as to whether the cam timing is correct,so that`s why i asked about a clutch that is capable of holding more than the car is producing at the moment.

i`ll try and speak to tony this afternoon and see what he rec`s.if he`s not got anything suitable,i`ll make some enquiries into the jap stuff.

thanks to all who`ve responded to my question,i`m very grateful for all the input :D

"the auld grumpy git" :lol:

A

Anonymous

seems i might have been a bit hasty in my condemnation of "that clutch" company :oops:

nissan have drained the oil out of the gearbox and there are some hefty lumps of metal which i can only assume are bits of 2nd gear.spoken to bernie at cts and more than likely,the box will get shipped down to him for a post mortem :D

back on to clutches,spoke to tony tewson at superclutch and got the following info in case anyone else is interested.
twin plate rally spec metallic clutch is £485 + the dreaded
replacement plates are £89 + vat.
this clutch will take in excess of 450lb/ft and will last anything up to a year,in the nd evo anyway :D

the twin plate organic clutch is £469 + vat with replacement plates at £69 + vat.this clutch will also take in excess of 450lb/ft of torque but will not like being subjected to a lot of slipping.if it`s to be used for drag racing,it really is a case of just stepping of the clutch.i`d imagine that most people would do this anyway and it will be a lot nicer to use day to day.

with either clutch there is a bit of machining of the flywheel which superclutch are more than happy to supply engineering drawings for.

even if the clutch is ok,i`m seriously considering just putting in the organic twin plate clutch from superclutch as i think it`ll take the torque and still be quite nice to drive day to day :D