Total seal piston rings

Sweeny

In need of new rings and maybe some other bits.

I have JE pistons (the old type), and have been told to go for 'Total Seal' rings. Does anyone else reccommend these as ive seen that mr chan has has a few problems with his.

And is anything else worth replacing while its apart.

I was thinking of getting uprated valves and springs.

Any ideas people.

Cheers.

James.

A

antilag

i was told the totals r very good and its the person fitting them the wrong way ect that can do the damage

zia

what,s good about them? unless your cars a top feul dragster why fit them to road cars, enlighten us as to why they,re better?

zia

Sweeny

zia said:
what,s good about them? unless your cars a top feul dragster why fit them to road cars, enlighten us as to why they,re better?

zia
from what i know they aint much more to buy so why not?

A

antilag

we all no they dnt last aslong but my point was there is not a problem with andy chans rings and if there is then they probably ent been installed correctly but there fine its probably oil from a breather or summin

zia

one concern i have is worst case senario!! conventional ring expand with heat! therefore you have ring end gap so they can expand how do gap less ring expand when you have high temps and if you hit det? clearly if the clearances with gapless ring are incorrect you will get breakage with high temp and det? as regards to reduction of blow by by using gapless ring is pointless with new conventional ring there worn,t be that much blow by with correct end gap !

zia

A

antilag

like i said at pod i dnt no jack about engines really so i dnt really no wat your talking about :wink:

turblio

total seal rings allow better boost control, as if you are running high boost
it doesn't push through the gap I think its about 2% loss as opposed to
10% under full boost they expand normally so there is no probs with high temps, there is also less oil consumption and all sorts of engines can use them providing the bore is perfect and they are not a continuous ring as some people believe
Frank

zia

total seal rings allow better boost control, as if you are running high boost
it doesn't push through the gap I think its about 2% loss as opposed to
10% under full boost
technically isn,t true conventional ring have same seal, and can run same boost!! the only reason people fit gapless ring is because of blow by reducing power loss, and running really rich alchol/ fuel mixture which under normal ring would run through ring and contaminate oil.

zia

turblio

WHAT...
" technically isn,t true conventional ring have same seal,"
conventional rings have a larger gap than total seal I will post full info for you in a moment I check my info before I post mate :roll:

turblio

Right eat this

As a normal ring wears, the gap opens up, allowing more combustion gases to escape (blow-by). The Total Seal Gapless® ring solves the problem. Its patented design incorporates a two-part interlocking ring that closes off the gap and provides a better or improved seal between the piston and cylinder. As the Total Seal ring wears, the gap stays sealed, even after dozens of grueling races.

Blow-by is a thief. It steals power, it shortens the lubrication life of the crankcase oil, it causes parts to wear out prematurely, and it continues to reduce the power as the ring gap increases in size. Big deal? Yes it is. It is why Total Seal Inc. developed the only true Gapless® piston ring. The Gapless® ring consists of two pieces, a ring and a rail. The rail has neutral tension and the ring provides the tension for the rail. The ring is taper faced and protrudes initially beyond the rail. When the ring seats on the cylinder that rail makes contact and the design allows no leak or path for blow-by. Because the ring is machined to have a step to accept the rail, making it lower tension and the rail is a neutral tension rail receiving it's tension from the ring, it is a low tension 2nd ring. The Gapless® piston ring is so constructed that the blow-by is reduced to 2% or less and remains at this basic level throughout the the life of the ring set. Knowing this it is obvious that the oil runs cooler, is not contaminated, does not need changing as often, does not loose it's lubricating ability, and actually permits longer more durable engine life in engines used for all purposes.

Gases passing though the top ring are stopped by the Gapless® ring rather than allowing the gas to continue leaking form the combustion chamber­ this is where the extra power is happening. Does the Gapless® ring wear and get larger ring gaps? Yes! However, the design of the ring is such that is spite of this, blow-by is not permitted. Ring life is enhanced with Gapless® ring sets and power output remains consistent throughout the engine life without power or torque loss by growing end gaps. In some high performance high RPM engines, the ring gap of the top ring may in some engine sizes need to be gap orifice tuned to control top ring stability. The Gapless® ring set seals so well that it is necessary in some engine types to tune the top and second rings together to maintain stability.

* References made to blow-by are measurements made in actual running dynamometer tests on engines with only the second ring (conventional ring) replaced by Total Seal. Inc. Gapless® rings.

Websnowbo

They have been using Gapless rings for years, they used to sell em in the 80's to cure your Pinto breathing problems!

We used to sell them to Used car dealers to try get the car to burn less oil and raise the copme enough to sell it!

Sweeny

Phoned norris designs today and asked simon about these, and he told me to stay away from them, as they make the engine constantly smoke and are only really used for drag racing.

Think i'll stick with his views as he's the dude that built my engine, so aint gonner argue.

zia

zia...0 frank...1 :lol: :wink: frank if you do use them wish you all the best mate!!

zia

A

antilag

i have them to and personally i think its b0ll0cks :wink: i wont b worrying about the rings one bit :wink: its the same old story different people have different views and u cant win as a year from now if my car and andys are flying no one will big up the total seal rings but as soon as summin goes wrong then all the fingers will b pointing and the i told u so's will accure but at the end of the day do wat u want to ya own cars because there is certainly no one on this forum special enuff to copy

Sweeny

antilag said:
i have them to and personally i think its b0ll0cks :wink: i wont b worrying about the rings one bit :wink: its the same old story different people have different views and u cant win as a year from now if my car and andys are flying no one will big up the total seal rings but as soon as summin goes wrong then all the fingers will b pointing and the i told u so's will accure but at the end of the day do wat u want to ya own cars because there is certainly no one on this forum special enuff to copy
Easy tiger. I agree that different people have different views, but i didnt say any1 woz right or wrong, just said that im sticking with guy that built my engine thats all.