Top mount intercooler improvements

O

owens

why is that chav tastic, a carbon fibre/kevlar compound wouldnt be used because of the look of it, it would be used for its efficiency

O

Odin

owens said:
why is that chav tastic, a carbon fibre/kevlar compound wouldn't be used because of the look of it, it would be used for its efficiency

It's your car mate, You fit what ever turns you on ;-) .

I'm sure one look under your bonnet and the Macdonald's crew will be drooling :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

O

owens

personally i cant stand people that have carbon fibre crap on there car unless its used for weight reduction or other perposes, the problem you have is you belive because im from essex i am a chav and i therefore spend my life in mcdonalds carparks, well you couldnt be any further from the truth mate.
if i did fiit the carbonfibre/kevlar trim it wouldnt be seen as it would be hidden by the intercooler,

you ask a civil question on this site and there you are trying you very best to put peoples backs up

O

Odin

owens said:
you ask a civil question on this site and there you are trying you very best to put peoples backs up

I'm taking the mic matey :doh: , It's not your location that makes you a chav :doh: :doh: , It's your age and total lack of humour! I'm afraid it's the same with your whole age group these days :der: , You take yourself s far far to seriously :roll: .

Like I said it's your car you fit what ever 5hit you feel fit ;-) .

Rob

youngsyp

owens said:
does anyone think a full sized heat shield made of kevlar/carbon fibre would have enough heat resistance to make it useful as a heat repellant??

heres a link to a sheet i found on fleabay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carbon-Fibre-Kevlar-sheet-3M-15x10-ins-38x26CM_W0QQitemZ190196882209QQihZ009QQcategoryZ72213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Carbon fibre has very good heat resistance properties so, this would be a great product to use. Plus, at that price, it's a steal.
If you did it well, you'd not need to see any of the sheet so, it wouldn't look 'chavtastic' at all ! ;-)

Paul

O

owens

youngsyp said:
Carbon fibre has very good heat resistance properties so, this would be a great product to use. Plus, at that price, it's a steal.
If you did it well, you'd not need to see any of the sheet so, it wouldn't look 'chavtastic' at all ! ;-)

Paul
thus the reason of the post in the first place

mattytappy

Ah just ignor ODIN, :oops: owens, you will find that he is just getting on a bit and feels the need to father us all by putting us down as much, and as often as possible.:doh:....you will have to get used to it im afraid:roll:

He cant help it at his age:der:

I was thinking of using this on some other areas of the engine bay to try and keep heatsoak to a minimum or at the very least redirect some radaint heat from the intake side.......plus its nice an light as well;-)

O

Odin

mattytappy said:
Ah just ignor ODIN, :oops: owens, you will find that he is just getting on a bit and feels the need to father us all by putting us down as much, and as often as possible.:doh:....you will have to get used to it im afraid:roll:

He cant help it at his age:der:

I was thinking of using this on some other areas of the engine bay to try and keep heatsoak to a minimum or at the very least redirect some radaint heat from the intake side.......plus its nice an light as well;-)

:shock: Whats up you didn't call me fat once :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

mattytappy

Odin said:
:shock: Whats up you didn't call me fat once :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
:lol: :lol: :lol: Its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black at the moment........lol.....but im just on my way to the boxing club in the next half an hour to burn some of it off.......so i dont feel the least bit guilty about ramming that cream cake in my face earlier :twisted:

kenan

South West Regional Rep
So fitting a carbon fibre sheet would provide better hear resistance than an aluminium sheet?

Isn’t carbon fibre a pain to cut/drill

O

owens

ive never played with carbon fibre but it can be more rigid than an ally sheet which has its pro's and cons, while im off work i may look into this properly as im sick of the reduction in power that the heat causes and i realy dont have the spare cash at the moment for a FMIC and if £10-£20 worth of carbn fibre can reduce this temperature enough to show a difference it may all be worth while

O

Odin

I think the main problem with your idea is that it will reduce the amount of room the air has to flow under the cooler once its on the move, You may well keep it cooler while stationary, But could end up reducing it's efficacy once on the move!

Also you maybe making the engine run hotter because heat rises and you will be blocking this route, Not a problem on the move but once stationary ie stuck in traffic or queuing at santa pod, You may keep the inter cooler colder but the extra heat in the engine may well cancel out any gains.

Rob

youngsyp

kenan said:
So fitting a carbon fibre sheet would provide better hear resistance than an aluminium sheet?

Isn’t carbon fibre a pain to cut/drill
Metal conducts heat much more than carbon fibre weave does. If you use dural (aluminium alloy), it will shield for a while but, soon heat up and act as a radiator. That's why I tried to coat my one with foil tape. The adhesive should act as a partial insulator.

The carbon sheet should be easy to work with. Just a stanley knife and decent drill bit is all you need to make a heat shield.

As Rob says though, you will be restricting where the air can go after it's passed through the cooler fins. Again, the carbon sheet would be better for this as, it's a lot thinner.

One thing I've noticed with my set up now is that heat soak is no longer an issue, even with the modest heat shield I have now. Although, I have lagged my I/C. The issue I'm finding is that the core heats up fairly quickly, after a spirited run. This is down to lakc of cool airflow through it. The only remedy, would be to hack the bonnet scoop around, to increase the surface area of the opening.
I'd like to have a go at that in the summer. I'll open up the bonnet vents at the same time too, to lower the underbonnet temps quicker. I've also still got to lag the manifold and turbo elbow.

Paul

O

Odin

youngsyp said:
The issue I'm finding is that the core heats up fairly quickly, after a spirited run.

I feel that having this heat shield in place could be a problem 2 fold, one being as I've already stated that you're reducing air flow through the cooler, and the second issue is that if the heat shield is indeed keeping the heat in the engine then the resulting extra heat would produce hotter air from the engine, Canceling out all your gains while giving it beans on a longer run, And carbon being a better insulator this problem could well be magnified :doh: .

Rob

youngsyp

Odin said:
I feel that having this heat shield in place could be a problem 2 fold, one being as I've already stated that you're reducing air flow through the cooler, and the second issue is that if the heat shield is indeed keeping the heat in the engine then the resulting extra heat would produce hotter air from the engine, Canceling out all your gains while giving it beans on a longer run, And carbon being a better insulator this problem could well be magnified :doh: .

Rob
Totally agree Rob in theory but, I've not seen any increases in engine temps with my partial heatshield. I have removed the rear bonnet seal though and that actually dropped oil temps on a run.
Plus, the TMIC already presents a large area above the rocker cover, restricting heat escaping and the heatshield shouldn't need to protude from its foot print. So, in theort again, there should be no increase in engine temps, due to the way the air flows round it, once it gets through the front of the car.
Of course, a decent radiator and oil cooler would also help to prevent engine temp rises, as will maximising the bonnet vent area etc... All plans I have, as I want to take the car on the track occassionally.

Of course, if none of these things do give an adequate result, I'll just install a front mount and have done with it. ;-)

Paul

P.s. Having an intake temp probe would also be good, to quantify any improvements these mods make. Something else I need to buy.