Top mount intercooler improvements

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Swampy said:
Have you sorted any pics yet,youngsyp?

Cheers.
yeah, what he said.

Otherthan heat soak is a stnadard IC ok for running 1bar as really don't want a FMIC just yet

youngsyp

kenan said:
yeah, what he said.

Otherthan heat soak is a stnadard IC ok for running 1bar as really don't want a FMIC just yet
:doh: Sorry chaps, I'll get some taken at the weekend !

As for the TMIC being good enough for 1 bar, I'd say yes, all day long. I'd expect the TMIC to not become inefficient, until you naturally progress to an FMIC ?!

Having said that though, I would like to get more cool air through the core, by improving the bonnet scoop somehow. Not that I think it needs it but, again, it can only help !

antgtir

Sounds good to me mate, think i shall be investing in some of this tape for my ARC TMIC, that should help things along very nicely :)

Ant.

P.s. Just as an aside, maybe an additional scoop directing air flow to the underside of the TMIC promoting a negative pressure on the top side and drawing cold air in from the bonnet scoop. The run under the TMIC would have to be shorter though to promote this.

LeeSmith

Why not add water injection too? It's cheap & effective, there was a whole post about making it all yourself & I think someone was even selling there home made kits for it pretty cheap too.

youngsyp

antgtir said:
P.s. Just as an aside, maybe an additional scoop directing air flow to the underside of the TMIC promoting a negative pressure on the top side and drawing cold air in from the bonnet scoop. The run under the TMIC would have to be shorter though to promote this.
That's not a bad idea, it's just getting a decent cold air feed for the underside, from somewhere ?!

What I might try next, is to modify the bonnet scoop, to draw in more cold air. Even removing the thick vertical partitions should see a good improvement but, adding a 'visor' to the top of the scoop, should catch more air to redirect through the scoop !

youngsyp

LeeSmith said:
Why not add water injection too? It's cheap & effective, there was a whole post about making it all yourself & I think someone was even selling there home made kits for it pretty cheap too.
Nice idea bud but, a decent water injection kit, is not cheap. The cheapest ERL kit is £300+, and that's without a reservoir. Once you add a custom one of these, you'll looking at £400+ !

The whole idea behind what I'm doing, is to make the TMIC, as efficient as I can, for the least money I can. For the cost of an ERL W/I kit, I could get 2 FMIC kits !

Oh, and I wouldn't touch a 'home made' W/I kit with a barge pole. Did someone say hydro lock........ ;-)

Trip

youngsyp said:
What I might try next, is to modify the bonnet scoop, to draw in more cold air. Even removing the thick vertical partitions should see a good improvement but, adding a 'visor' to the top of the scoop, should catch more air to redirect through the scoop !

With what will you replace the vertical partitions with ?

Trip

youngsyp said:
That's the idea bud.
Thanks for the piccy, it's nice to see what it will look liek before I start hacking things about !
thats a 15min job done with the laptop's mouse pad. nothing professional. ;-)

J

jpward

Would it be that hard to get someone take a mould of the fixings end and to re-model the top more like a single opening scoop?

I am thinking of the caterham designs i have seen more than sti type.

youngsyp

jpward said:
Would it be that hard to get someone take a mould of the fixings end and to re-model the top more like a single opening scoop?

I am thinking of the caterham designs i have seen more than sti type.
I'm sure it wouldn't be mate.... It's just knowing someone who could take a mould of it and create a new scoop.

I guess I could do it myself, fibre glass kits aren't that expensive afterall. Plus, my brothers into fabricating with carbon fibre so, if I tested and finalised a design, I could make it in carbon weave ! 8)

J

jpward

youngsyp said:
I'm sure it wouldn't be mate.... It's just knowing someone who could take a mould of it and create a new scoop.

I guess I could do it myself, fibre glass kits aren't that expensive afterall. Plus, my brothers into fabricating with carbon fibre so, if I tested and finalised a design, I could make it in carbon weave ! 8)
There you go then buy your bro a few cans and get him to work in the garden shed :lol: :lol:

I was actually thinking about CF as the bonnets that were made recently had to be molded so i would think making a propper scoop to be more work than making a single opening one ;-)