The 'Bastard Bolt'!

gtirjoey

that explains why i never knew what the bastard bolt is lol...
all this time youve spent struggling you would had the transfer off by now???
i always take the transfer off the box as it takes no time what so ever! if i was you i would do this mate!
this is the only way i have ever done it mate, me and my bro get the job done in a couple hours tops so get cracking and whip the transfer off

GTiR-Aholic

He's got a point.. if it is proving that difficult to get undone then it's only what... 4 bolts on the rusty bracket holding the transfer up? Plus 2 bolts on the back mounting by the bulk head.. and the propshaft and a few other brackets which are fairly easy anyway.

noriek2003

gtirjoey said:
all this time youve spent struggling you would had the transfer off by now???
you still need to get that bolt out to take the transfer box off.

smo, someones been putting things back in that they shouldn't have fucking bothered with especially if they didn't have the right bolt anyways, but i guess you know that...lol

Can you get the 19 on it and then some sort of extension bar onto the edge of the spanner so that you can whack it from above ? cant remember if the inlet would get in the way tbh. It would need 2 of you, failing that, spanner on it, chain round spanner from below and pull like a madman ?

you cant give up now and drop the engine, the last evo i did was a pig with everything gunned up but i got there in the end leaving everything in the hole.

gtirjoey

we are talking about the 19mil bolt that bolts the bellhousing to the block yeah??
if im right why do you have to take that out first???

vss irvine

no it doesnt, it goes from the block to the bellhousing.

and you have to take it out before the transfer box because the transfer box doesnt come out unless the gearbox is moved about an inch away from the block and rotated slightly down to the rear.

(although it will slide out enough to give you more space, but not enough to totally remove the transfer box)

Smo

No James - the bolt is still in place.

I'm taking a break from the car today as I didn't do my finger any favours by punching whatever it was yesterday. The bastard bolt (below the 14mm next to the speedo sensor) is definitely a 19mm in this case. Unfortunately I am unable to add more leverage as the gap between the top of the spanner and the inlet is less than an inch. We've just got to keep trying brute force I would imagine, but it's been done up a chuffing windy gun I would think. It's taken both of us with all our strength on the bugger and all we're managing is to lift the engine in the bay! It's so bloody tight.

I'm liking the chain idea that's been mentioned - will definitely give that a go and see what happens.

P

pulsarboby

il tell you sam what i tell the lads down the workshop when they start moaning that something WONT come undone:lol:

if someone done it up then it WILL come undone one way or other, so if i have to get the bolt off myself which they say wont come undone then it costs them a tenner:lol::lol:
youll be surprised how they adapt to then get the stubborn bolts undone.

you say youve broke the speedo sensor, in which case just smash the thing out and buy another one;-)
or as suggested use a chain or put a lever bar behind the spanner shaft to get extra force on it, theres always a way!

You tried any of that 'shock and unlock' stuff yet? i sprayed that on awkward bolts and left it a while to sink in...... Mind you didn't seem to make shit all difference tbh... but i was using halfrauds own stuff, maybe some decent stuff would work.
That bolt is in such a crap place that all you can really get on there is a spanner... all the handy tools for removing tight bolts (impact driver etc) are for sockets and having room to use them.
I think youl find that by loostening/removing every other bolt on the housing, it's making that last one even harder to budge..... Try banging in a few easy to access bolts on the opposite side and on top to pull the housing back in tight... this will relieve tension on the 'Bastard bolt' and should make it easier to undo?
All that weight opposing one bolt will definately be making it harder to undo as the box is trying to twist/pull against it all the time.

Last edited:

steve963

if you remove the speedo sensor and then remove the 14mm bolt it should be easy to get this bolt out, I even put it back in (gonna make me popular this post!)

gtirjoey

as already stated remove the the transfer (slide it back as far as it will go) and that 19mil bolt is easy to get undone
as vss stated it doesn slimply slide straight off but gives you more than enough room to get the bolt (no swear words needed this way or tantrums!!)

Smo

Cheers fellas - we're going to attack it from above and below tomorrow so fingers crossed it'll budge.

Fucking better!

Smo

Finally got the bastard undone today! The chain idea was fantastic - a mate and I got it done with him underneath pulling the chain and myself on top. Naturally it let go with an almighty snapping sound with him elbowing the floor and I punched the firewall nice and hard. At least it got done!

Was a little fiddly but the box is now off and it turns out the only damage done was the selector fork started to break apart;

Needless to say I'll be purchasing an uprated selector fork from Bob ASAP, might as well get a new release bearing too - although the one that's in there is perfect.

P

pulsarboby

il make you one up tomorrow sam as i just make them to order. think guider wants one also so il do the pair at same time
and yes well done for sticking with it (theres no such phrase as 'wont come undone') as youve now proven