The 'Bastard Bolt'!

Smo

I'm currently in the process of dropping my box with the engine in situ and am having difficulty with the dreaded 'Bastard Bolt', which is the only thing keeping the box on the engine. How did you guys manage to get it out?

Smo

The problem we're having bud is that we can't get a spanner in place - it's hitting a big pipe under the plenum preventing us from getting the spanner far enough around the nut to get in on and turn it!

Edit: I also can't see how we can get an angle grinder in there to remove the head of the bolt considering that;

a) We can't even start undoing it at this point

and

b) We can barely get our hands in there, it's a small space.

I appreciate your help bud, but this is annoying me to no end! It will get done no matter how though lol.

Last edited:

Smo

It's the 17mm bolt under the starter motor, next to the speedo sensor. It's proving a bitch to get hold of to remove it.

Bob's been very helpful by saying that once we've managed to loosen the two bolts (one being the bastard, the other being the 14mm) we should undo them as far out as we can, then drop the box and it should allow enough of an angle to slip them out. But it's getting to this stage that's proving to be the problem.

P

pulsarboby

use a short spanner (not the ring end) once its loose as far as it will go then pull the box back around 1/2'' then undo it so its free from box.
once its off you dont cut it from the head side but from the thread side then it will slip out as its shorter.
as said you dont need to put that bolt back in.
its not that hard to do, if the spanners too long then cut down a cheap 17mm and use that.

noriek2003

have you whipped the speed sensor out ? these can be a pain in the balls and the bracket tends to snap off, but it gives you a little bit more room, you just need to persevere as none of its coming off with it still there..lol

if some fooker has nut gunned it up you will have to get creative with the loosening equipment.

good luck.

noriek2003

half a day :shock:

do you go and watch tele, pop to town, have some dinner, then 40 winks, a quick fag, read a book, knit a jumper, do a crossword, play x box, knock one out, cup of tea, another fag then have a quick bath all in the middle of dropping the engine..lol

GTiR-Aholic

Not sure if you've removed your bastard bolt under the starter motor yet (beside the speed sensor) but if not then take the speed sensor off.. lol

It's normally seized on though.. first time I took an R box off.. I ended up smashing my speed sensor to pieces with all the rage :) lol

Smo

Well so far the only thing I found holding the speed sensor in place was one 7mm bolt which I removed but the sensor is jammed in there well and truly, lol. I think it's safe to say that it's not coming out!

GTiR-Aholic

Yeah it is just the 7mm bolt and they are seized in 9/10 times.. I had a spare which is why I just got a leverage bar and pry'd it up.. surprisingly it came off in 1 piece.

Tell you what.. just get the bolt out as FAR as you can right.. until the bolt head hits the speed sensor (that's far enough to clear it from holding the box on.. trust me.. that's what I've done this time round! lol.. sorry I only just remembered haha

Smo

In all honesty mate, when I got under the plenum to have a look - the 14mm bolt was already forced halfway through the top of the speed sensor! My car has recently been rebuilt so thank god for that! The Y-Band was missing too luckily, haha.

P

pulsarboby

just get the bolt out as FAR as you can right.. until the bolt head hits the speed sensor (that's far enough to clear it from holding the box on.. trust me.. that's what I've done this time round! lol

thats exactly what i suggested this afternoon, theres no need to remove the sensor at all

GTiR-Aholic

oh right, sorry I ain't been reading the threads properly today.. so busy just skimming through as I like to post daily when I can give my 2pennies worth :p

Smo

I just can't wait to get the bloody thing off finally! Even when I do, I still have to diagnose the problem (which I hope is the clutch fork), order the parts, wait for them to arrive, fit them, put it all back together (if I can remember which bolts go where), plug in the things I unplugged, refill the gearbox and transfer box then try and drive it. But before I even do that I've got to figure out how/why the white dials are being a pain in the ass.

Smo

So after chopping in half the 17mm spanner it turned out that the bastard bolt was in fact a 19mm and it's tighter than anything that's ever been tight before. I've sworn, thrown things in anger, kicked stuff and taken a nice big chunk out of my finger. Needless to say I want it out - it's the only thing holding my box on! Anyone got any ideas to help shift it? Might end up dropping the whole lot in an attempt to make it easier but right now I don't want to if I can help it.