objective: fast road sprint car
budget £900
Car is caged Tarmac car that will be used for clubman driving
now I really don't want to use bc coilovers, had bad experience in my evo 8
So I'm left like ?????
d2 too hard
tein from demon tweeks £840
Leadas?
are stock shocks with like whitle line springs ok?
cant find aftermarket shocks any where,
It's like hitting my head agaisnt the wall,
my gabs are shagged knocking there tits off

gl3nn

Bc coilovers are fairly good i use them on most my cars and never had bad experiance personally.
Teins are also a fairly good coilover kit for what they are so i personally would go with one of them mate

pulsar kid

I had issue with bc inverted version where the bottom mutt would go loses all the time , big thing on the evo site people got fed up of them,
so propley go teins then

red reading

Bc are better than tein on the pulsar, you can set the ride height and corner weights better and they have slightly harder springs but offer better comfort on the road as the damping is softer on the minimum setting, tiens are under sprung and over damped as you buy them so do need re springing for you needs....horses for courses and the tein will put you over budget once you re spring them and they cost more to repair.

pulsar kid

But don't you need to revalue bc with the springs , teins seem to be softest spring set up?
its all very new to me suspension and I'm really getting into it,
so am I right saying it's impossible to buy new aftermarket shocks?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I think Koni still offer Sunny GTi shocks which can be fitted to a GTiR...but they were never made for a GTiR as such!

red reading

No bc need nothing except setting up properly, value wise this is best. Tein have softer springs but harder damping meaning they bounce and skip on the road and the only way you can set ride height on tein is via spring preload.....which is a bad way of doing it! The more you lower the car the less suspension travel you will have, having tried many differant types of suspension the best were Koni inserts and whiteline springs, bc, nismo most of the others were shite for one big reason or another

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I have Tein on mine and the 4/3 spring rates are comfortable. I converted to 5/4 to make the car more track biased and less understeery. To get the springs to work well took a lot of damper tuning.

A few of us on here started using 5/4 rates as it makes the car more neutral. I think Apex followed by BC probably picked up on this and started offering this option as up until then you either had Tein at 4/3 or other brands at 7.5/5 which are too stiff for the road and don't work well in the wet.

I've seen BC quality/Engineering and it's better than Tein

People I trust prefer the damping on the BC to the Tein.

Nothing wrong with Tein, but when my Tein fail (and the engine works) I'd get BC or treat myself to something posh.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Does anyone know if BC bought Apex or did they change their name?

Also looking at the BC website their standard offering is a 6/4 which is just double Nissan spring rates. Is the 5/4 special order then after them interacting with club members?

bracpan

I was the first to try different spring rates on the Tein units, and used 3 different combinations before I found the right setup. Also spoke with Tein UK to achive what I wanted. I hammered them over the years but they never leaked or needed rebuilding once....
I was offered a set of standard BC units to try and was also offered a set of custom made shocks by BC but it was getting close to when I decided to sell the Pulsar so could not see the point then.
To be honest if I had the money I would have loved to have a set of Ohlins units made.....but I might keep that for the next car !!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Depends what you want to use it for. It would be too undesteer biased for my liking.
Any idea what my spring rates will be? - It felt quite good at speed, and my confidence in cornering grew when I realised I wasn't going to understeer off the mountain.

I've balanced it with a standard front-end (rubber bushes where I can), but Whiteline rear ARB; on the way to Oulton Park I even had the back step out slightly.