Suspension

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Any idea what my spring rates will be? - It felt quite good at speed, and my confidence in cornering grew when I realised I wasn't going to understeer off the mountain.

I've balanced it with a standard front-end (rubber bushes where I can), but Whiteline rear ARB; on the way to Oulton Park I even had the back step out slightly.
If you're happy George then go with it. It's a lot easier to mess up a good setup than improve it sometimes.

warpspeed

What about the inserts in the gtir bodies?
The bodies are about an 1" too long so I would think the inserts are too long too....I extended the bodies on the rear of my gti and fitted bmw 635csi bilstein inserts and as far as I remember the original inserts went in the full length of the body...oooh er!! lol

vpulsar

I'm not very good with susp I've tried a few though, Hated the coilovers I bought fro my last Pulsar and took them off after a couple of months. Fine for track days but rubbish in the real world but I do understand that was down to the spring rates which made it understeer right off the road in the wet.

The best handling susp I've had is the gabs I don't think I'd ever need to be able to corner any faster than that, There was one corner on the way back to basingstoke from Newbury that not only is tight-ish but also humps and I've been around that at well over a 100 mph and the car never missed a beat yes it skip a little bit due to the hump but it felt safe and I was confident I wasn't going to die lol.

I can understand why people want to get the absolute best from their cars if they're race in a series properly but if it's mainly a road car just fit some gabs or something similar, I've only been in one car with coilovers I thought were OK and that was my brothers 500 bhp MK5 golf he bought from a proper racing driver who used as a fun track day car when he wasn't racing properly, And they where 5k a corner.

Rob

Empty Pockets

I must be the only one who doesn't rate the ching chong BC's.... They might work ok for a few thousand k, but they won't last long, they all use low quality materials sourced from the same place, BC, Meister R, HSD, D2 etc, that's why they're 700 quid a set.... I personally know two people who have bought them and had problems, one skyline, one evo, so a 100% failure rate in my eyes... Also, i'd hazard a guess that Tein superstreet use some of the same materials as had first hand experience/problems with them falling apart prematurely. I'd save up for something decent personally, or something with a bit of pedigree, bilsteins etc, as atleast you know they won't fall apart

vpulsar

I agree most coilover kits I've seen look cheaply made and start corroding very quickly indeed.

Rob