sluggish when warm

Godzilla

only noticed the last day or so as its been right hot outside obviously the car warms up quicker but as i put my foot down a bit like over 3k it kangaroos a bit and feels heavier , its fine when cold and really when warm just recently its started this so could it just be hot air getting sucked in instead of cold causing this,

also iv just thought it only happens when i get down to quarter tank of petty, and as iv fitted the lockwood dials this quarter tank might be less as if im on that quarter mark by the time i drove a mile to the station the light has come on ,
thanks gaz

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Does it do it more when you're cornering or braking hard (or accelerating hard) when the tank is getting low?
Have you changed the fuel pump to one that doesn't reach the bottom of your fuel tank? - That's pretty common because the pick-up on the Walbrough is shorter than the standard one, and if you don't drop it in the bracket it won't reach the fuel.

Is the light supposed to come on? I've never seen a low fuel light on my dash, and I've managed to run it out of fuel before (on my way to the petrol station)... Maybe my bulb has gone... maybe my car just never had one?

dannogti-r

South Wales Rep
Is the light supposed to come on? I've never seen a low fuel light on my dash, and I've managed to run it out of fuel before (on my way to the petrol station)... Maybe my bulb has gone... maybe my car just never had one?[/quote]

i'v ran out a few times the same way. my light dont work either!

Godzilla

Johnsy-it has a FMIC

not sure about fuel pump I'm guessing it's the standard one but could do with taking a look before I fill her up again

Also only does it when it's about to come on boost and on boost

I have turned the gain up on my greddy profec B last weekend couldn't be that could it . Il turn the controller off on the way home tonight see if it stops I notice obviously when it's cold it doesn't full boost so the settings could be out abit

Last edited:
R

riske

you do realise that turning the gain up on the profec isnt actually turning up the boost. Thats probably part of your problem mate. there is a how to on here about properly setting up the profec. Its a good read. Did mine the other day and it boosts bang on 16 psi with no surge or drop off. Feels like a different car.

R

riske

oh, and my fuel light doesnt come on. But never actually had the bollocks to get it to the red. Most, if not all R's get fuel surge when under 1/3 of a tank when cornering so unless you baffle your tank then just keep it above that. you cheap skates lol.

Godzilla

Could this boost altering cause this problem as driving off boost up to 30mph I'd fine and she starts first time everytime

Godzilla

Cheers riske il take a look at that see if I can sort it
Also I up'ed all the settings slightly on the low tab that's why I'm thinking it's gone to cock

Last edited:
R

riske

Yeah it would be everytime it boosts. It would start fine etc. Read up and change both settings properly to what you want and hopefully it would sort it. Let us know dude.

Godzilla

I will do I'm going to drive home with it turned off so if it don't do it then that's my problem if it does then it's something else

Godzilla

Forgot to ask u riske but have u set the low/hi for weather/gears or daily drive and hardcore , as the how to mentions different factors to think bout

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Most, if not all R's get fuel surge when under 1/3 of a tank when cornering
That’s not true actually, a standard car with a standard fuel system/ pump and sock pickup in ok condition will not get fuel surge when cornering hard, braking or acceleration. Pulsars will on the other hand get fuel surge if an aftermarket fuel pump has been fitted (possibly incorrectly) and the fitter hasn't used the original OEM Nissan fuel pickup sock.
The OEM fuel pickup sock is long enough (if the pump is fitted correctly in the tank) to reach the lowest point in the tank where as the pickup sock supplied with aftermarket (walbro) fuel pumps are much to short and cannot reach the low spot in the tank.
You must remember some of these cars are fast approaching 20 odd years old and have had every tom, dick and harry fucking about with them, unless you’ve owned it from new or rebuilt it from the ground up you'll never know what’s been done to it over the years. I’d imagine there’s loads of pulsars out there with incorrectly fitted pumps, hence it’s become a natural assumption that all Pulsars will suffer from fuel surge.
If you fit an aftermarket pump in the correct position in the tank and use an OEM Nissan fuel pickup sock you almost defiantly not get fuel surge on hard cornering, braking or acceleration, the correct spec pump should easily be good enough to supply 400 break on 99% of cars. Alternatively if you want to rule out the chances of ever being troubled by fuel surge on a track or strip e.t.c. then you'll need to back up the in tank pump with some sort of inline pump and a swirl pot.

Godzilla

right yall i just finished work and reduced the boost to standard and it was getting worse so put 20 notes in petty and its basically stopped now just back to my normal problem of when it gets to half way on the oil temp it feels slow but i think thants down to the rubbish 10w60 lucas oil the idiot before used , but putting some silkolene 10w50 and a cooler on it sat so should sort that out fingers crossed, then i can start setting up the boost properly

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Seconded Steve - the previous owner of mine stressed that he'd had the Walbro dropped and fitted with the original sock to make sure it got to the bottom of the tank... that's probably why I can drive it until the thing is bone dry - the 'E' on empty means I'm out of go juice (I found out the hard way).