Slowly losing the Pulsar love.....

gtircrazy

Its great not being able to spell and having a computer correct everything for you.. 15 years ago i wouldn't have a degree or a job. :p

Just keep going mate, money is obtainable gti-r's one day wont be.

Mr B

The computer & internet has probably decreased peoples natural language skills some what but its benefit in freely accessible knowledge has helped a lot in car tuning & fault finding. How many owners on here alone would of made a lot more trips to a mechanic or taken weeks to track down faults & parts with the internet knowledge base.
I remember the days when you had to phone a company & wait for product detail brochures to be mailed the old way with a stamp & a bicycle.

John

Use mine as a daily as much as I can & suitable weather/work allows & have had nothing but minor expected jobs you would get with any jap car of similar age & a lot less issues than European cars half the age ...
Tuned more for road rather than track which helps a lot but a solid build up to high 300's with sensible clutch & good box such as quaife should be reliable runner on the road & good fun without being fatiguing driving & financially crippling ...
It will vary from car to car though depending on how it's been treated and looked after over the course of its life. Don't get me wrong when in daily use my car was very reliable, chewed up a good 10k miles over 2 periods of daily use without issue despite pushing the high 300s. It's the niggling things that tend to really get to me though, the rear brakes issue being one of the reoccurring issues and it just makes me think about all the huge bills I have paid out over the years basically replacing every mechanical part on the car.

Frustrating thing is I'm in process of saving up to either re-shell or repair the body so it would just bloody behave then it would be a finished article sometime this year!

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Im teetering on the brink as well, thats just coming past 7k in the 18 months ive owned it and last night it broke again! the pulsar is a strange car, you lose the rag at it and say enough is enough, so you get it all fixed so you can sell it and take it for a blast, next thing you know . . . .

ALL IS FORGIVEN!!! :lol:

Mr B

Quite agree on need of a good non abused base car. Problem as well is some of the parts replaced when tuning are of low long term durability either due to poor quality or wrong parts for the vehicles use, coilovers being a #1 here.
Bodywork would be only real killer for me as hate repaired bodywork & rust is my pet hate.
Rear callipers can be a pain as recon units can have short life & high purchase cost & many used units even if good when removed could be bad if stored badly or for long periods of time & of course are virtually as old/older than what you are binning.
Sounds like you got some further expense to endure yet ...

chopper

Well you could sell it for a few grand and then what........ buy a boring run around........put more money in towards another performance car and always compare it to the R and how its isn't as fun as the R was.
I know lots of people are feeling it at the moment as money is tight for most but if you have the space just leave it for a month or so. But remember Bang for your Buck not much else comes close on 4 wheels. Every car has its issuse and every 20+ year old car has even more. Go to a classic car show and talk to owners of any make and model they all have the same problems. Its part of the fun fixing it and looking after the old git.

Mr B

True, I spent a lot on my Evo5 & still prefer my Pulsar & it has been better in durability too, any performance car will cost you money. Main thing is to start off with something worth the effort & tune to driving needs & not bragging needs & use quality resources for all work carried out & make the effort to do the job right first time or save a bit more for the more expensive but better option. Results is less problems & expense long term & thus more love for the GTIR.