safc-is it worth it?

C

chris-b

as above- gonna be running 1.0-1.2bar (occasionally) and was wondering is it really neccessary? whats the alternatives
will be running uprated fuel pump, plugs etc

mattygti-r

alternatives is

HKS FCON (old system) and hard to tune

Apexi AFC1 (the blue screen one) but less scope than the safc2

Greddy EMANAGE (the king) but is more expensive

Dooie Pop Pop

leave it at 1bar till you can get a piggy back ecu and leave the dash mounts alone maybe? :wink: please dont hit me matty its an option.

mattygti-r

sturat said:
leave it at 1bar till you can get a piggy back ecu and leave the dash mounts alone maybe? :wink: please dont hit me matty its an option.
lol stu he only lives down the road from us 8)

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
It all depends what you want to do, and how much money you have, and also how many risks you are prepared to take.

Some people can run 1.2 bar all day, others have had engines blow up running 1.2 bar.

A Friend of mine runs 1.1bar max(having had his fuelling checked at DP) on his 'R & thats with HKS S40 plugs, Walbro & HKS EVC4. For more, he'll be using an F-Con.

I'm running on Denso IK24 plugs with a Walbro & a GReddy Profec B set to 1.0bar max. For more power/boost I'll be using an SAFC & S-ITC ( to adjust timing...also important :) ).

Its not worth skimping on £60-£200 of equipment to run 1.2 bar & blowing your engine up, costing a lot more than £60-200 to fix :?:

One alternative to the SAFC & SITC or a piggyback unit such as e-Manage, GEMS, Power FC or Motec is to fit a replacement daughterboard from (http://www.japaneseperformanceparts...32_38&osCsid=942b09b5d08a6b6a505a3083bf38047a) to your car (together with uprated injectors for the 2nd board). This comes pre-programmed to run 1.2 bar tops with the following mods : filter, exhaust, boost controller & 550cc injectors.

Definately get a Walbro to maintain the fuel feed to the engine & better plugs if nothing else.

S

str_motorsport

generally a daughterboard is the best solution, good price, good results, everything is possible with ii, but i would stay away from japanese performance ecu upgrade.
info on Pm

S

str_motorsport

i believe that a daughtrboard is better than the e-manage, but you should have the right one!!!you can fit bigger injectors, different mafs, raise speed and rev limit , run different maps and change them while driving, but the mapping is so important!i run on my own maps, developed with a wideband sensor with datalogging, knocking monitor, and egt meter and i am so happy with them!!!they are done the right way!!
japanese performance maps are really scary maps...i looked at them and would never fit them on my car!!

Keira

with a chip if you f o o k up the soldering your ecu is fit for the bin, if you want to change maps doesn't it need to come out again ???

you've set up your own maps which is 8) but buying a chip already mapped means you're limited to whatever way its set up :( ...e-manage just plugs in, and you get on with it either through a laptop or the EO1...

change something on the car, just use the controller or get the laptop out again.

Havn't heard one person using it say a bad thing against it tbh.

S

str_motorsport

the e manage is a really good piece of kit.
but i think that the standard ecu, with a daughterboard is more than capable to control things.
the important thing with this upgrade is that it has 256 load points, which if i am not wrong is the same as the e-manage...for a cheaper price.

yes buying an already done chips limits your tuning possibilities, because all cars are different.
and the e manage allows you to program it for the car, but this means a visit to a tuner, rolling road etc etc.
i just chossed the daughterboard because i wanted to do all by myself and i am happy with it.
the e manage is great too and more user friendly.

i have a switch on my car an i can choose between 4 different maps, without having to thke thge ecu out and change the eproms on the daughterboard!!funny!!!

M

Mr Overboooost

i agree with what kieron says as thats the set up i am running and have had no probs with it whatsoever :wink:

cheers
gary

C

chris-b

OK GUYS-DONT NO ANYTHING ABOUT E-MANAGE-
HOW MUCH CAN WE GET THESE FOR? CAN IT ADJUST FUEL AS WELL AS BOOST?
AS I'M GOING TO GET AN AVC-R OR SIMMILAR TO MAINTAIN BOOST, BUT IF E-MANAGE CAN RUN BOTH WILL KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE! :D

mattygti-r

chris-b said:
OK GUYS-DONT NO ANYTHING ABOUT E-MANAGE-
HOW MUCH CAN WE GET THESE FOR? CAN IT ADJUST FUEL AS WELL AS BOOST?
AS I'M GOING TO GET AN AVC-R OR SIMMILAR TO MAINTAIN BOOST, BUT IF E-MANAGE CAN RUN BOTH WILL KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE! :D
chris it wont adjust boost unless uve the EO1 greddy boost controller

the emanage will just map the fuel (like a safc2)

its not that expensive but you will require additional leads etc by Greddy if you want it all sorted out properly

Keira

it will adjust fueling and ignition control at more points than the safc and itc which you would need to do the same job. It is very easy to select bigger injectors as you say what you had , then what your running 8) it will support larger mafs, it will also support map sensor 8)

if you hunt about you can get the whole lot very cheap, harnesses and extras etc, etc.

you will need a seperate boost controller or the EO1 as matty points out.

JIMMYBACK

:shock: so i need a inggition controller to sort out my car then if i have sacf 2 n apexi boost controller

Keira

yep, to gain anysort of control on the ignition timing to get the best out of the car you will need an itc of some sort,

mattygti-r

Which is why yours isnt on top form :(

also you need in that car jimmy

new plugs
new fuel pump
new fuel filter

and for it to be mapped correctly