Running the engine in

bengilmore

I know its about 1,000 miles but if im on standard boost, what rpm should i not go past when im just running the engine in.
Its been rebuilt with HKS forged pistons and HKS metal head gasket :wink:

Keira

speak to ex-gtir about his treat it mean keep it keen theory :wink:

He's allegedly running his new evo lump in :twisted:

bengilmore

Ye i remember reading that article that was posted up here a while back, that you should give the engine loads to bed in the rings, but i think i'd prefer to take it easy and run it in that way and was just wondering what rpm not to go over :?

bengilmore

mechanic in my dad's nissan garage is doing it, so i thought id ask you guys cause many of you would have had your engine rebuilt, and was just wondering what the tuners that did it for you all said :wink:

P

paulrandy

Personally i'd keep it below 4k using only half throttle and low boost for the first 500 miles then normal driving on low boost for another 500.

skiddusmarkus

It's supposed to be very important to bed the rings in well,pretty much from the first time yuo start the car after the rebuild.Make sure this is made clear to the mechanic and that you want to be there for the first turno of the key.

J

jonnyboy

running mine in at the moment, was told not to go above 5k :( the tuner wired up a shft light on the dash so i dont forget 8) ..................just over 500 mile's and counting.......................... :wink:

ex-gtir

like kieron said im running my evo in on the drive to full boost and lift off to seat the rings used this method for years running in race 2 stroke motorbike found thay lasted longer that way than the treat it with kid gloves
seems to be going really well 800 miles now please dont take it im thrashing the arse off it cause im not holding high rpm kieron might say different though :D
mike

G

gotoinstant-redline

mine was rebuilt with je pistons, gasket etc etc etc etc
told to keep below 4k untill over 1500m and not to go over 4k after 1500m if it hasnt been serviced by the building garage.

change oil at 500 and 1k then again @ 2k then every 3000m after that
11000 etc etc
do the filter at the same time.

i was told not to boot it till its done at least 1k and to keep is on stock boost untill after 1500 and after the service.

a racing driver m8 of mine told me not to stay at any set rpm for a long time. e.g.
drive @1k for 5 mins then 2k then 3 then 4 then drop back down.. do it randomly and put the boot in a bit more after the first 500m but still dont go over 4k. he said its important not to runit in at a single rpm.

seems like good advice to me so i changed revs as much as poss.. no motorways etc.. use B roads for the speed changes and hills.

good luck.

L.

Websnowbo

The lift off procedure is very good, in that i mean use the engine breaking more than you normally would.

Right i'l start again,

It is best to drive normally but as most have you have said, keep the revs below 4k. It will glaze if you drive long distances holding these revs though so you need to keep varying your revs when going for a long drive.

It is very important to use engine breaking when slowing, as this "lift off" procedure helps bed the rings in, you could run a car in for 2000miles driving like miss daisy and end up with a smoking engine when you start thrashing it.

If you don't agree with any of the above fcuk off. I used to be the forman of an engine reconditioning firm and even 1.8CVH Sierra's and 1.1 Fezzys don't smoke after a rebuild using these mothods. If anyone has rebuilt one they will know what i'm talking about.

Edited to add: Sorry, i got a bit carried away!

G

gotoinstant-redline

seems to make sence.. no need to get all stressed about it!
that was how i was told to run my car in. i didnt know how to apart from the rev limit thing.

you've given info and now you are getting worked up about it. i was telling peeps how i was told to run my cars in.

to get the best info, you must listen to all the info and then pick out the best bits. was what i was told wrong?

engine breaking seems to make sence but i was told not to down shift as the revs might go too high. make sence to me.. not to rev it too high so dont down shift on slow down.

L.

Nad

First 20 miles is the most important. Gotta use the revs and lots of engine breaking to bed the rings in. After this u can do all u want but if the rings aint bedded in they never will be. You only gotta ask Ivan........

Nad

A

AJ4

Webs and Nad get my vote - get it started, let it warm up and then redline the f***er. Lots of bursts of rpm and lots of lift-off, but absolutely no high sustained rpm. I agree with Nad especially that the intitial period is the most critical.

J

J-GTi-R

Using Nad's method you need to change the oil ofter the first 20 miles, but just change it for more crappy mineral oil.

Websnowbo

GoToInstant-Redline said:
seems to make sence.. no need to get all stressed about it!

you've given info and now you are getting worked up about it. i was telling peeps how i was told to run my cars in.

to get the best info, you must listen to all the info and then pick out the best bits. was what i was told wrong?
Sorry dude, i didn't read my post after i typed it! I did sound a bit stressed didn't i!

Here's some flowers to apologise

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
About to start running my engine in. Here's my battle plan, comments (Useful :roll: ) greatly appreciated:

Fill engine with mineral oil.
Turn key and immediately goto 3000rpm.
Vary revs for 5-10 minutes between 3K and 1K
Drive car around for 100 miles upto 4K, varing revs etc and using engine braking (Nice tip)
Drop oil and replace with cheap semi synth, replace filter
Drive for next 500 miles upto 4k varying revs etc. (Off Boost)
Drive next 600 miles upto 5K on boost and varying revs etc.
1200 miles, change oil for posh stuff, Get car setup again for full boost, drive off into the sunset.

After 2 years off the road and a lot of money on parts, I don't want to take any chances....thoughts