RPS Clutches

S

srbpower

I'm chatting to RPS about this now, just waiting for them to get the images via email

Daz's car's managed to do this to an AP kit, an RPS paddle and an organic plate now. Very strange it keeps munching plates and it's always the PP side not the FW side.

daz

you see the problem is that i have now found out is that rps and the likes use a STANDARD clutch plate and uprated cover this to me seems no good what so ever. call me a liar if you want but the thing is i have proof lol. you see due to all the clutch grief i have had i had to get a clutch there and then so i call my local motor factors who just happen to keep quint and hasel clutches in stock for the pulsar. when asked what sort of power or torque these are rated at was told that the clutches are based on the oem unit. ok you say. get the new clutch out the box and the clutch plate itself is EXACTLY the same as the rps so called uprated one ie same materials and the same numbers on the cover basically the same plate as this one. and the price was £141 instead of the £310 for the same clutch with a modified double sprung cover.

so basically that picture you are looking at is a clutch plate that cannot cope with the stress its under and forced the springs through the metal of the plate. because it is an oem item basically. and just for the record i have had to replace all these clutches myself bar one because these so called failures are down to abuse or wrong fitment which in my opinion is absolute rubbish. and just for the record this clutch was fitted before the clutch was wrongly adjusted and the clutch was changed before so therefore was not over stressing the clutch cover springs. the thing that winds me up the most is that no one is willing to accept that there clutch has failed. and just to correct you dan it keeps munching the springs and the metal surrounding them as you can see from the back or flywheel side of the clutch

S

srbpower

Yes that's 100% true that RPS, Exedy etc etc use an OEM organic plate with an uprated PP.

What's your point?

It doens't change the fact that your car is the ONLY car that's managed to have a failure of not only an AP kit, but then not 1, not 2 but 3 RPS kits. All exactly the same problem.

How many other RPS failures have we had with SR20 kits? NONE

Somehow you're overstroking the PP fingers which is nothing to do with plate itself or the clutch kit. It's something else and needs attn to find the cause, not just shove another kit in there Daz, that won't solve the problem at all.

daz

look im not wanting to cause arguements or anything else ok before this gets out of hand and at the end of the day dan how can over stroking the fingers push the springs of the plate through the clutch ???

O

Odin

I don't know anything about daz's problem or what caused it, But one thing is for sure I wouldn't be happy paying for an uprated clutch that just has a stronger cover fitted with a standard plate WTF's that all about then? :? :roll: .

rob

S

srbpower

Cos a stock type plate lasts longest and it's not the plate that does the work, it's the PP

O

Odin

So when the plate ingauges the flywheel at 7500rpm on a 350bhp engine it's not doing any work then :? .

Explain that one to me please fella :? :? .

rob

S

srbpower

Well it's not is it really. It's just sat there being pressed against the FW by the PP in the cover.

Come on mate, it's a well known fact that the PP is the part doing the work, the plate is just the difference in how the clutch engages.

and it's worth noting that although the plate is a stock type is doesn't mean it's come from Nissan. If anyone wants to look very closely at an RPS organic plate, you'll notice one thing is very different in that they use flat head rivets to hold the material in place, where most other plates use round head type. Bonus with flat type is that it allows a little more wear before the rivets are hit

nismoboy

well one lesson to be learnt then, stick with a nissan clutch and just uprate the cover. what a con buying new uprated clutch kits :evil:

S

srbpower

ok you guys are obviously reading lines that aren't here, or just aren't getting it at all. Nevermind.

ex-gtir

i certainly would not like to be a maker of uprated clutch cause no matter how good your product someone will alway break it and one failure over 500 nonfailures will be remembered
this is why i dont like working on high spec car cause when things go wrong it got to be my fault :wink: :lol:
clutchs will fail period be it rps helix ap exedy ,quarter master etc etc etc etc etc etc
STOP DRAG RACING IT NOT CLEVER :wink: :lol:
get on the trackdays and nurse that clutch :roll:

O

Odin

I'd say it's not a good idea to drag race with a standard plate thats for sure :roll: , I have a 6 paddle that feels very nice to drive with 8) and will take the abuse of a 1/4 mile or 10 lol :lol: :lol: :lol: .

rob

S

srbpower

Strictly speaking, yes, organic plates aren't designed for drag runs.

BUT, the MAX series kits have shown to withstand many a launch on the organic plate. I've known one of the first kits in the UK to have run 10 passes at the Pod a year ago now and many times since, with no issues at all

neil240z

i bought an RPS clutch and flywheel from SRB and havent had the pleasure of using it yet though I did fit it myself (and with the help of a couple of top boys on here) and was mighty impressed with the PP , its a meaty mutha and you can see why its rated at 475lb ft.

I defo go with the theory of pressure plate being much more important than clutch plate and when my clutch plate wears out ill just go and by another organic clutch plate for peanuts and be happy for another 2 years.

Neil