RPS Clutches

turblio

Hi All
After some info as to how the people that are running RPS Clutches are finding them ie launches, what sort of power you are running and your general opinions please
Frank

deank93

I read that Dave the AWD dude is pretty chuffed with his and, as everyone knows he runs monster bhp and tourqe.

geetee

Mine's great.

12 months since I bought it and it's as good as new, inspected it the other day and there's absolutely no sign of wear in any form.

The car's had many major launches and fast road trips in this time too.... frankly I'm amazed it looks as good as it does.

But then the RPS is still in it's box in the spare room :lol: :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

N

Norfy

had mine for about 6-7months now, with plenty of thrashing :twisted:

...and its been fine, no probs at all 8)

Dooie Pop Pop

well im not too sure what happened tbh :? today at the pod i did three runs and bogged down each time :( i ws queing straight back up with a five min wait between runs
so next run i blip the nuts off it give it 6.5k rpm and let fly :twisted: into second the cars revving hard, 3 and its still revving fast....'hang on, im not going anywhere :? '
i thought id done my box or something but it seems the clutch slipped like a beitch. i backed off the throttle and it gripped.
i left the car for a bit and next run i was really gentle with less boost and it was fine :? tried again with 1.4 bar, revved it quite hard and it gripped no problem. got my best and only decent launch of the day only to fluff a gear change :oops: :roll: :x

i did another 4 runs with high boost and no slip :? still bogged the launch on every one though :cry:

could the heat of my three runs without a break caused it to slip?? i found it rather worrying considering its meant to handle 450lb ft of torque.

cheers, stu

M

Mr Overboooost

sounds like the clutch got to hot but if its rated to 475ftlbs then i would have thought it would be ok but obviously not.
was gonna try one of these next but i think i will stick with the helix now.

cheers
gary

Dooie Pop Pop

when i did manage to launch properly :roll: the wheels span and off i went no clutch slip at all. this was after it had messed me around. i didn' t give it so many revs though

maybe it was the 6500rpm launch a hot clutch and a quick left foot :lol: i dunno mate but i didn' t like it :evil:
like you say its rated a lot higher than im putting through it, wierd :(

JIMMYBACK

:shock: dunno wot to do now as i need a new clutch as was gonna buy this one dooie got :shock: :? :? :?:

Dooie Pop Pop

JIMMYBACK said:
:shock: dunno wot to do now as i need a new clutch as was gonna buy this one dooie got :shock: :? :? :?:
yeah its a sticky situation aint it lol

the rps is an organic clutch i thought that organics suffered form slip when hot. i did let the clutch up real fast @ 6500rpm after repeatedly pumping the throttle :lol: this was on my 4th run in about 40 mins tops

i know others have not had any problems but who' s running best part of 400lb ft of torque on here with one other than me?? would the helix repeatedly take that much abuse?? i dont know :( what i do know is i dont want a paddle clutch one trip out with Matty convinced me of that

like i said it seems fine now, it did another 2 gentle runs and 4 1.4 bar runs that day without a problem :?
im going out for a little 'practice' later... on my drive :mrgreen: i' ll let you know how i get on.

if the clutch is sh1te what do i do then? its not even 6 months old, had hardly been used as i have a second car which i had to use while i was waiting for it to be 'set up' it was mapped properly on wed the 15th of june before pts and had certainly never launched hard. blaming the clutch is easy but without stripping it who can say what the problem was.

bugger :(

nismoboy

JIMMYBACK said:
Go for the paddle rps clutch, they say its smooth in operation and its good for 550lbft 8)

JIMMYBACK

nismoboy said:
JIMMYBACK said:
Go for the paddle rps clutch, they say its smooth in operation and its good for 550lbft 8)
will i do the box in thou thats my other fear of paddle clutches :shock:

nismoboy

JIMMYBACK said:
nismoboy said:
JIMMYBACK said:
will i do the box in thou thats my other fear of paddle clutches :shock:
it depends what bhp and lbft you are aiming for, if your going for 400lbft then u dont have much choice its either paddle clutch or os gilken both of these are know for killing gearboxes,

Im currently using a AP paddle clutch and i hate it, driving in slow moving traffic is a nightmere BUT! it holds the power superbly, im running in excess of 400bhp and torque and it never slips even if u launch it, ive done about 10,000 miles on this clutch and my box is still fine.

LOU ROB

And you lot thought the EXEDY hyper single kit was crap :lol: :lol:

I don't get any of the problems you fellas get :shock:

S

srbpower

Mate regardless of what the kit is rated to, you still have to respect it's an organic kit, full face disc, not designed for 1/4 runs. Can you imagine the heat you inject into the plate material side stepping the clutch at 6500RPM :shock: A paddle would hold up no problems, the organic may hold 50% of the time, but no way will it hold it every time, especially if it's already got some heat in it from previous runs.

Don't doubt it's abilities mate, it's fine. It's just that you're subjecting it to stuff it's not meant to do. If you wanna carry on like that, swap it out for a paddle kit.

As for Helix and AP etc, even if they hold anywhere near the power the RPS does, they're not rated by the manufacturer to do so and you'll find if they take it now, they won't last as long. Candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long it does hmmmmm :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

thanks for taking the time to reply mate.
i would like to say though that i didn' t side step the clutch at all. i did let it up real quick but i doubt thats the same as sidestepping.

as i stated earlier its been fine since as has been to this day :wink: i agree the heat would have been a major contributing factor.
im new to this drag racing lark so im learning my way as i go, at the time any thoughts of clutch heat were far from my mind :lol:

it done very well the rest of the time with no hint of slip :wink:

S

srbpower

No worries mate, happy to pitch in. Just sorry I don't find the time these days to spend round these parts.