Roll Cage's

• Thread starter MORRISMINOR GTI-R
  • Start date
S

srbpower

Do Luck rear Crossbar

It's not cheap, but you're thinking along the right lines. You have front braces, rear brcaes, so why not middle braces. Plus, it's shiny 8)

Dan

Constructing a roll cage is not as simple as just bolting on a few strands of bar.
If not done properly it will be detrimental than doing any good.

It must be build with good grade chro moly steel with a certain amount of thickness. Plus someone who knows how to weld it properly.
All those alluminium and god forbid exhaut pipe materials are just down right dangerous. I'm sure there are many incidents of ppl fitting them only to get themselves killed.

Dont shoot me, just my opinion.

S

srbpower

Think you're probably spot on mate really. It's there for a real purpose, so should be done right, or not at all.

Dan

skiddusmarkus

Andy-if you roll your car onto the roof,a horseshoe shape above your head is going to snap it's mounting points and whack you on the bonce.You'll then be dead,so quite dangerous :wink: .The idea of a rollcage is to spread the load throughout the frame,2 points is a dangerous waste of time and money.It needs at least to be secured to the rear struts as well.
The only 2 point type I can think of that would help you in a crash is those in stock cars.And they are made from girders(like Ir'n Bru).

A

Anonymous

hmmm didnt think of it that way

Are there already holes underneath rear door cards for screwing this do luck bar to?I havent noticed any sort of holes etc or are they screwed through cards into two holes in rear quarter framework?

G

GTI-R Kid

Thats some cage Ben!

Is it custom or was it in the car when you bought it? Any idea who makes them?

B

Ben Chandler

Cheers mate!

Nah I don't know what type of cage it is, thought it might be a Cusco dash dodger but not really sure. Thinkin about selling it though...

G

GTI-R Kid

Ok - this may sound like a strange question, but here goes anyway.

For those who have roll cages installed - can you still use your sunvisor or does it become redundant? :oops:

N

N1SMO

its a cusco cage Ben same as mine did it have a system 21 or saftey 21 sticker on it
I alway thought that it needs a rear diagonal .

Ian

J

jasegould

For those who have roll cages installed - can you still use your sunvisor or does it become redundant?
I can still use my sun visor, it doesnt fold back into the bit where its supposed to coz of the cage but I just un hinge it at one end and tuck it over the cross bar of the roll cage to stop it flapping about

G

GTI-R Kid

Thanks jase. I was just wondering as i'd been told that they'd be useless if i got the same cage as yourself. :wink: 8)

A

Anonymous

Nismo make a GTI-R roll cage very much like the one that Ben posted (it looks like the Nismo cage to me). That design allows you to retain the rear seats. Safety 21 make a couple of different types for the GTI-R too.

Richard