remove or not to remove...

GTi-R23

This seems to be a common problem when fitting a hybrid style FMIC, best bet is to rotate the compressor housing on your tubby slightly to give some clearance between manifold and ic pipework, then lag the ic pipe and then you can do what you want with the manifold heatshield.

5GTIR

I've noticed in a few pictures like the one above that a few people seem to be heat wrapping the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler, I have to say I dont quite understand why?. Heat wrap is designed to prevent the dissipation and movement of heat between layers of metal or other heat conductive materials, and is commonly used on exhaust manifolds. The main function of this is to maintain the heat within the exhaust so that the gas remains as hot as possible, because hot air is less dense it moves faster and therefore exits the exhaust quicker.

The pipe from the turbo to the intercooler contains hot air thats been heated through compression and by heat wrapping it, its been prevented from dissipating any heat and therefore going into the intercooler at a higher temperature. The intercooler will only reduce the intake temperatures by a percentage, therefore if the the air going into the intercooler is 2 degrees higher then it will come out 2 degrees higher and subsequently go into the combustion chamber 2 degrees higher, and we all know what that means.

I personally think the best way to ensure cool temperatures through the inlet system is to prevent heat soak from the source i.e heat wrap the manifold and cover the turbo with a heat shield. I do think however that it would be beneficial to wrap the intake pipe from the the filter to the turbo and the pipe from the intercooler to the plenum. This would prevent heat getting into pipes where the charge is already cool.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but my opinion is based around certain amount research into the subject.

Ben

youngsyp

5GTIR said:
I've noticed in a few pictures like the one above that a few people seem to be heat wrapping the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler, I have to say I dont quite understand why?. Heat wrap is designed to prevent the dissipation and movement of heat between layers of metal or other heat conductive materials, and is commonly used on exhaust manifolds. The main function of this is to maintain the heat within the exhaust so that the gas remains as hot as possible, because hot air is less dense it moves faster and therefore exits the exhaust quicker.

The pipe from the turbo to the intercooler contains hot air thats been heated through compression and by heat wrapping it, its been prevented from dissipating any heat and therefore going into the intercooler at a higher temperature. The intercooler will only reduce the intake temperatures by a percentage, therefore if the the air going into the intercooler is 2 degrees higher then it will come out 2 degrees higher and subsequently go into the combustion chamber 2 degrees higher, and we all know what that means.

I personally think the best way to ensure cool temperatures through the inlet system is to prevent heat soak from the source i.e heat wrap the manifold and cover the turbo with a heat shield. I do think however that it would be beneficial to wrap the intake pipe from the the filter to the turbo and the pipe from the intercooler to the plenum. This would prevent heat getting into pipes where the charge is already cool.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but my opinion is based around certain amount research into the subject.

Ben
You're right on all counts, including the penultimate paragraph in which, you answered your own question ! ;-)

The heat wrap is not directional and doesn't know where the heat is coming from. It's simply there to insulate, whether that be to stop heat escaping, in the case of the exhaust run or, to stop more heat getting in, in the case of the turbo to I/C pipe.
The pipe going from the turbo to the I/C will just act like a large heat sink, with or without the wrap but, with the wrap, it won't be absorbing any more heat from under the bonnet. So, heat soak will be eliminated.
The pipe may radiate a small percentage of the heat that the compressed charge carries but, it would only do that up to a point (when the engine is cold) and more than likely, would be moving too fast to dissipate any meaningful amount of heat. Again, that would slow the charge down, and add to any turbo lag.

If you have a decent I/C core, this won't hinder its operation at all !

Paul