remove or not to remove...

turboloon

was wondering if i should remove the heat sheild from the exhaust manifold,whats the genral consensious on this...:?

5GTIR

I have to say, I think Nissan probably put it there for a good reason. Removing it all together will only increase your underbonnet temperatures which will inevitably reduce power. I think painting it and putting it back on could look good though.

Adam L

It's not like it's going to affect the intercooler pipe as that's on the hot side anyway and it'll cool the charge air once it passes through the core of the intercooler. I kept mine on though, it looked shitty and rusty so I sand blasted it and painted it in some black high temp paint just to smarten it up a bit.

youngsyp

Take it off, lag the manifold, elbow and downpipe with a good quality exhaust wrap that'll handle 1000 degrees C, clean the heatshield up, paint it with silver exhaust paint and put it back on with new fixings ! ;-)

Paul

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
thats assuming he can get if off, the bolts holding it on have a nasty habit of shearing off and leaving half the thread in the manifold :doh:

I agree though, take the bloody thing off and lag the IC pipes

CanadianR

stevepudney said:
thats assuming he can get if off, the bolts holding it on have a nasty habit of shearing off and leaving half the thread in the manifold :doh:

I agree though, take the bloody thing off and lag the IC pipes
how do you get the half threads ot of the manifold?

Jonesy

Take the bolts out after you have been for a run in the car should be a little easier to remove, just try not to burn yourself.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I had no intention of putting mine back on and I was going to be internally ported/polishing the manifold, so whilst I had the carbide grinder out I removed the heat shield mounts/turrets (with sheared off bolt threads) so the manifold was smooth, I also ground out all the webs between the runners so I could heatwrap it properly.

youngsyp

Jonesy said:
Take the bolts out after you have been for a run in the car should be a little easier to remove, just try not to burn yourself.
:shock: I'd like to see you do that ! :lol:
It would be even more difficult to remove as you wouldn't be able to go anywhere near the manifold !

If you're serious, you're better off using localised heat, from a blow torch or oxy/acetalyn torch.

Paul

Jonesy

youngsyp said:
:shock: I'd like to see you do that ! :lol:
It would be even more difficult to remove as you wouldn't be able to go anywhere near the manifold !

If you're serious, you're better off using localised heat, from a blow torch or oxy/acetalyn torch.

Paul
Pair of gloves and youl be fine, pussy :lol:

Last edited:

davey red.r

or you could ask that bloke off the fantastic 4, him that bursts into flames, to remove the bolts, dont think he would need gloves:lol: :lol:

SIR GTIR

5GTIR said:
I have to say, I think Nissan probably put it there for a good reason. Removing it all together will only increase your underbonnet temperatures which will inevitably reduce power. I think painting it and putting it back on could look good though.
I'd 2nd that i'm thinking about making up a ali plate one couple of mm think doesn't need to be much Who knows either that or just heat wrap it like it's said Above:thumbsup: