removal of ABS

O

Odin

Sorry about the pic size but it need to be big so people can see it properly, And I don't yet know how to do thumbnails :oops: .....

This is a brake distribution block from a non ABS car, I was looking at Mic's car today and noticed that on the ABS car which use nearly the same block apart from it has two solenoid looking things on the end rather than one, has the lines from the ABS unit go to the two points that have arrows on them, I'll have a better look tomorrow, But if its just the two would you just need to loop these points together or not ????????.

Rob

stumo

I had a quick look at that block tonight as i also want to remove the ABS.
All i was going to do was loop the pipe that goes to the ABS pump and back but i was going to have a better look at it tomorrow.

A

AJ4

lmfao ! look at the book Robs reading, "Emotional Healing in Minutes"

you big gay-assed panda :lol:

not sure if this is any help, shows the proportioning valve quite clearly so you should be able to work it out.

Non ABS and ABS diagrams -

Attachments

A

AJ4

from the look of it, the two pipes with 'F' on them either come straight from the master cylinder ( non-ABS ) or via the actuator ( ABS ). Looping the two arrows together would stop it from working... what you need to do is bypass the actuator or plumb lines staright to the master cylinder from them 'arrow' ports.

A

AJ4

heres a slightly clearer picture with them side by side, before and after. I'm sure its not as simple as that though, there must be something else that needs doing...

New pipes in blue

Attachments

stumo

cheers again, for some reason with a quick look it looked like the pipes went through the valve before the actuator, but now i know different.

time to get the brake pipe kit out..........

A

AJ4

I'm going to have a stab at removing it myself shortly, if you find out any good info, post it up and let us know 8)

O

Odin

Cheers Ross, The second pic was much better mate, I understand it now lol....

Rob

GTiR_Mic

Cheers for the info Ross, should be able to remove mine as well as it is a pain in the back side on my car.

Rob I suppose mine will the the test dummy first then for the removal :lol:

Mic

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Slightly off topic but where would you fit a bias valve to that lot? Does the "Dual proportioning valve" have any adjustment?

A

AJ4

Thats a bit tricky... the system is designed as a failsafe, so if you have a leak on one side then you still have braking power through two wheels. If you look at the proportioning valve then one side feeds left front / right rear and the other side right front / left rear.

You'd have to split it so the two fronts were the same circuit and the two rears were the other circuit, and get the valve in between them somehow.

ram5ay

Not that it'll be any more help than the diagrams, but there's two R's in my shed just now, one abs and one not, both with their engines out, so if you need any pics for comparison just say.
;-)

ram5ay

Ay, and generally it doesnt really work that well, it's a bit of a liability in my experience, I just pull the fuse in the winter though.

O

Odin

steve963 said:
Why remove the ABS? for weight saving?

It also doesn't work that well after you've fitted bigger disc's and calipers :cry: ....

RAM5AY if you can put up some pics of the non ABS brake distribution block that would be great 8) :-D , And pipe work from the master cylinder as well mate......

Cheers

Rob

M

Mike202020

What's the MOT issue with ABS?

Previous owner of mine took the fuse out because the ABS was cutting in too much, but refitted it for the MOT.

Is it just if it is fitted it must work?

Never had ABS so I won't be missing much if I remove it.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
AJ4 said:
Thats a bit tricky... the system is designed as a failsafe, so if you have a leak on one side then you still have braking power through two wheels. If you look at the proportioning valve then one side feeds left front / right rear and the other side right front / left rear.

You'd have to split it so the two fronts were the same circuit and the two rears were the other circuit, and get the valve in between them somehow.
Thanks Ross, that job can stay on the back burner for the moment. Sounds a little tricky

Jim