reducer pipes

youngsyp

Odin said:
You'd need an of extra manifold gasket though.

Rob
Could you not weld the spacer plate to the manifold, then just use 1 manifold to head gasket ?
I think that would be neater ?!

Fazz

youngsyp said:
Could you not weld the spacer plate to the manifold, then just use 1 manifold to head gasket ?
I think that would be neater ?!
Manifold is Cast I think....

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
just thought of another problem i will have, that someone may be able to answer:-D

when i fit a wedge in between turbo and manifold, how will i align studs so they go through the plate on the turbo! will i have to bend them, or what?
they will probably be 10 to 20 degree out of alignment.
Drill & thread 4 (or weld 4 studs into drilled holes) holes in the wedge then weld the wedge into position on the turbo flange of the manifold.

O

Odin

I think just fitting the spacer flange and 2 gaskets is the easiest and best option, Because you can eagerly revert back to a standard set up if you so choose in the future.

I'd fit two s15 metal gaskets because they fit the holes perfectly and seal a lot better than the standard ones being multi layered steel.

Also you wont be changing the angle of the turbo so their is a very good chance that the down pipe will still fit OK, The only mod would be to maybe have a bit added to the cat box/bypass pipe, That's what I had to do with my last manifold which bought the turbo forward about 1/2" over standard.

Rob

P

pulsarboby

yes think you have the best idea steve, by welding wedge to manifold.

i do have an aftermarket manifold in stainless.

think the spacer route onto the block isnt such a good idea, as it would have to come out over an inch, which would put a lot of strain on the head and studs.
it will also be hard to brace it as space will be quite limited.

im gonna do it fazz:lol: you irish lads just wanna see me running minimal power, so you have a chance of whooping me on the track, but it aint gonna happen!
the beast will be there:thumbsup: ready to go n play! even if i have to tow it there and pedal it round:lol:

thanks for the advise chaps;-)

O

Odin

pulsarboby said:
how much of a spacer did you need Robbie?

I was just going to fit another flange in the gap but my mate added about 3/4" for free, I still have the box sitting in the garage.

Not sure if I will need it though, As I think I'll have to trailer my car down to have a new system custom made for it.

Rob

P

pulsarboby

so is it a complete plate that runs the lengh of the head, or 4 individual plates for each port?
not exactly sure what you mean, have you got a photo of it?

O

Odin

pulsarboby said:
so is it a complete plate that runs the length of the head, or 4 individual plates for each port?
not exactly sure what you mean, have you got a photo of it?
Well if you look at any stainless manifold it has a full length flange, And you can buy these on their own if you know where to look, My idea was to just buy the flange and use it as a ready made spacer plate.

Oh and by flange in my last post I meant the 2 bolt exhaust pipe flange, Which you can also buy on its own lol.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pulsarboby

ah i see, dont suppose you have a link where to buy them do you please robbie:-D

C

Crazy

Just call Ian @ Hiteq, he will tell you exactley whats you need to do or even sell you one if need be!!!

Your down pipe will need modifying after the spacer plate is fitted in between the turbo & manifold.

MORF114

there is only 4 things you need

-spacer plate
-new longer studs
-2 new gaskets
-exhaust after downpipe modified the same length that the spacer plate is.

Very easy and simple to do. probably cheaper than getting a custom manifold made up.

P

pulsarboby

thanks for all the info chaps!
in 2 weeks i will be able to have time to spend on the car, and hopefully get it finished, still got cage and plastic windows sitting in my garage, along with tubby and all the other gizmos that i bought.
just wanna get the thing done now, and get it on the track!
its all been dragging on toooo long for my liking.

O

Odin

pulsarboby said:
its all been dragging on toooo long for my liking.

Welcome to the world of R ownership :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Most of us that actually modify our cars properly are used to month's even years off the road :shock: , I do sometimes wonder why we bother though :der: :doh: .

I've been off the road 6 months already this time and I'm still at least 2/3 months away from being finished :cry: , Last time it was 18 months :sad: .

Rob

P

pulsarboby

yeah know what you mean now robbie, ive had the car about 15 months, done 3/4 of a trackday, rebuilt the orrible thing, and done 100 miles since rebuild then blew up the rebuilt turbo:doh:
its the most expensive garden ornament ive ever bought:lol: :lol: