reducer pipes

MORF114

Its not a pain to do just a normal turbo change but with the spacerplate. the only problem i had was i had a stainless manifold made up and when he made it up the ext wastegate is slightly too close to the rad. (it'll all be coming off soon so ill get it moved) so rad had to be moved forward. just gotta cover your @rse on everything fitting how it should or it will bite you later on when you put it all back together.

I dont have Maf either so i just run a k&n filter off it .

P

pulsarboby

dont suppose you can get me a wedge made can you, which is the same dimensions as yours? as you said one of your relatives is a fabricator!
obviously i will pay what ever it is, but it will save me a lot of dithering making up a template etc.

C

Crazy

Ian @ Hi Teq does the wedge for around £40 I think, will check my receipts when I get home.

MORF114

I'll see what i can do for you if your intrested.

What negative effects would occur running 4" then reducing down to a smaller size ?

P

pulsarboby

it will have a z32 afm which i believe is a larger inlet, or am i wrong?

at the end of the day! i cocked up kieron lol, i bought it from canada and did not ask what size the inlet aperture was! so i may aswell fit it.

crazy......would appreciate it matey, cheers!

morf......if thats true and there only around £40 then i just as well get one there, as i believe your now in nz or am i wrong?

Keira

bob,

why dont you go 4" inlet to the filter and run the z32 blow through, put it in the cold side of your intercooler pipe run, that would be a better idea than reducing the inlet

P

pulsarboby

do you mean on the pipe between throttle body inlet and fmic?

O

Odin

pulsarboby said:
do you mean on the pipe between throttle body inlet and fmic?

Yes he does bob and I must say that was a good bit of advice mate.

Rob

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
diesel weasel said:
bob,

why dont you go 4" inlet to the filter and run the z32 blow through, put it in the cold side of your intercooler pipe run, that would be a better idea than reducing the inlet
Good thinking Batman ;-)

I was going to do the blow through setup but I've decided to ditch the MAF altogether now :-D

Last edited:
C

Crazy

Just checked my receipts and its more like £70 for the adaptor.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
stevepudney said:
Good thinking Batman ;-)
Agreed, and with no sarcastic comments or care bears either.... is Kieron going soft?

stevepudney said:
I was going to do the blow through setup but I've decided to ditch the MAF altogether now :-D
Are you planning to use MAP sensor then?
Though I've still got some boost surge, I've got rid of most of mine by refining the fuel and ignition maps but its taken a long time. When it does surge its more of a flutter than a shudder if that makes sense. I never fitted that DV in the end after hearing other peoples experiences.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
campbellju said:
Are you planning to use MAP sensor then?
Though I've still got some boost surge, I've got rid of most of mine by refining the fuel and ignition maps but its taken a long time. When it does surge its more of a flutter than a shudder if that makes sense. I never fitted that DV in the end after hearing other peoples experiences.
3 bar Map sensor is already fitted and working but like some stand alone ECU's the Emanage Ultimate has the ability to have an Air Temp Sensor fitted. With a remap this will allow me to remove the MAF.

P

pulsarboby

ok thats what il do then! (when i get time that is)
no doubt il be requiring more helpfull advise off you chaps when i do get round to finally fitting the thing.
its a crying shame:sad: its still sitting in a box in back of my van, feeling all sorry for itself.

P

pulsarboby

MORF114 said:
No worries mate, yeah im in NZ enjoying a lovely summer !! :-D

im in essex enjoying f...all:sad: :lol:

thanks for the offer though morf;-)

P

pulsarboby

just thought of another problem i will have, that someone may be able to answer:-D

when i fit a wedge in between turbo and manifold, how will i align studs so they go through the plate on the turbo! will i have to bend them, or what?
they will probably be 10 to 20 degree out of alignment.

O

Odin

I think the easiest way is to just fit another whole flange between the manifold and block as a spacer plate, Just fit longer studs or replace with bolts, You'd need an of extra manifold gasket though.

Rob

Fazz

If you bend them I don't think you'll be able to tighten them.

My understanding was it was a wedge that actually extended the turbo out therefore designed so that the turbo is pushed out the required inch or so.
So the wedge should encompass all 4 studs and be straight? Meaning you jsut need longer studs??

Also may want to look at bracing the turbo/mani if not already done to cope with the extra stress.

still thinking about the smaller inlet to solve your problem yet??? :shock: :-o

Lot of work for little gain imo...

Only way I'd fit the 4" inlet is if cusotm mani was made to move the turbo from the box.

Best of luck. PS - 9 weeks till GTIR National day... get fitting! :thumbsup: