Raising the compression?

Trondelond

Car dies as I try to fire it up. Fuse?

Been fiddling with the 3" elbow and Forge FMIC, and I've put my baby together now.
When I tried to start the car, I got all the lights when I turned the key one notch.

The first try was with the battery I had before, and this seems to have lost most of its power. When I turned the key, it barely tried to turn the engine. And I got some sort of noise inside the car. Sounded like some kind of alarm.

Then I tried with the battery from a friends' crx, and then it all happened; turned the key one notch - all the lights lit up, fuel pump buzzing and soforth.
But as I turned the key to start, it all just died on me. And no effect when I tried again. Everything black, and no noises indicating something starting up.

It seems the old battery was 60amps, and there is a possibility that the battery I tried with afterwards was 35 or 45 amps. Could this cause this?

As if that wasn't enough, I couldn't see any blown fuses in the dash, or engine bay. But I have NO idea what the big fuses in the engine bay is for, as the writing is all worn off the plastic covers. And I have no idea how to tell if they're broken.

Ideas?

S

s18rra

when i first got the car it crunched now and then in 3rd and was abit stiff in 1st, could this of been the sign of the clutch going or is that the gearbox.
i have another gearbox but it might not need changing.

saddler

so are the end cases interchangeable.. If i send race castings a end box and there able to cast a stronger end case will i fit on all pulsars ?

Trondelond

I'm getting one tomorrow before I hit the garage again, but that leaves me with the problem that I can't find a blown fuse, and it wouldn't light up again as I turned the key one notch.
I'm _assuming_ that one of the big fuses in the engine bay has blown, but I have no idea how to see if they're blown.

I may be wrong as well. It has happened before. ^^

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
As my clutch fork slowly died, it became easier to crunch the gears and eventually impossible to get any gear with the engine running.

MarkTurbo

I'd check the clutch fluid level before you go thinking about taking the box off and replacing clutches etc ;-) Could be something simple like a split clutch hose!

Jonesy

Are the fuses not clear, look through them and see if they have melted. Can't say i've looked at them myself though. If not dont you have a multi meter to check them.

J

jpward

Are there any part numbers or markings on them as maybe it would be an idea to check fast to see if one may be from a different car say bluebird 4x4 system and possibly changed on to a gtir it came off???

Also have we got rough cost of how much it would be for a case as i said before i could price getting one made from billet as i know know someone with a cnc milling maching thats done a few GRP N Rally boxes for people but they were special magnesium we'd only need Ali of some sort.

Braveheart

GTIR-LOZ said:
well i have a bit of an update i have run the engine in and friday went to Ea to get the emanage ultimate setup with the 700cc injectors - which did not go too well;-)
paul tried to fit the injectors but at 5500rpm the emanage went crazy and threw in all its fuel, he tried different ways but was unable to map it so instead he setup the car on the standard injectors
it made 390bhp and 315lbs/ft torque at 1.3 bar ish;-)
unfortunatley the dp manfold started blowing from a warped flange so that has to go back now so i will be without my car for a week or so

nothing with these cars is easy lol
Good to see you are making progress but sorry to hear that things did not go swimingly.... respectable power figures all the same.
What a bitch you have to sort your manifold.. you need to have patience of a saint to upgrade there cars.
I'm only looking for 350bhp or there abouts I bought 660 injectors as I was under the impression the stock 440 ran out of steam around 300bhp.
Good luck and keep us posted... :thumbsup:

GTIR-LOZ

yeah i am quite dissapointed about the manifold after all you dont pay that much money for something that doesnt last, but they have said they would sort it out and apparantly their flanges are different now so hopefully it will be ok

i was myself a bit dubious about the injectors but they seem ok but who knows if my power figure is correct as they said their rollers were playing up and it origionally made 428bhp at the flywheel lol

DannyGTI-R

Also check the main in line fuse that is on the + battery terminal, (the little red plastic bit) open it up and you will be able to clearly see if it has blown.