Raising the compression?

gtirx2

What ashills says,and proberly most usa evo drag cars are high reving, high compression, methanol fuelled engines?

Last edited:

ashills

just to add the 3 fastest evo powered cars in world all run 2 litre engines and one of them is in the 6's now

http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?Page=1

i know its not the sr20 but the crank is basically a very similar style, stroke, nitrided etc and as strong if prepped well

one issue maybe keeping the top end together as rockers will wanna jump off alot at that sort of power and rev limit

MarkTurbo

Is there any freeplay at the top of the pedal (ie over the 1st inch or so when you initially push it down)???

If theres too much you'd need to adjust the rod from the master cylinder to the pedal as you might not be getting enough travel to disengage the clutch fully ;-)

O

owens

if you havent fitted the release bearing its not going to disengage drive in the gearbox so you will find it very difficult to engage any gears unless the gear sets are turning at the same speed, but obviously when the engine isnt running the gearbox isnt driving so the gears will mesh withou any difficulty

Adam L

MarkTurbo said:
Is there any freeplay at the top of the pedal (ie over the 1st inch or so when you initially push it down)???

If theres too much you'd need to adjust the rod from the master cylinder to the pedal as you might not be getting enough travel to disengage the clutch fully ;-)
It's not got any free play, it feels like it did before, just alot heavier due to the twin plate

Adam L

gunmetalgtir said:
It probably is the release bearing if you forgot to fit it! :doh: :lol:
The release bearing was fitted, it wasn't me that fitted it though. Because the gearbox is so heavy I couldn't lift it by myself (I'm quite short:lol:), so while I lined it up to the engine a mate fitted the release bearing on the input shaft, wether he's done it properly is my main concern now.

MarkTurbo

Adam L said:
so while I lined it up to the engine a mate fitted the release bearing on the input shaft, wether he's done it properly is my main concern now.
Why was he fitting it while you were lining up the box with the engine :? You should have the release bearing assembled onto the clutch release fork well before you think about putting the box anywhere near the engine!

Lets hope he put it on the right way round/clipped it onto the clutch release fork properly etc etc then :lol:

Adam L

I've never had a problem fitting them myself in the past, takes seconds to do. It's the one part I didn't fit in the whole process I went through, and now the engine has to come back out:lol:

gunmetalgtir

Adam L said:
The release bearing was fitted, it wasn't me that fitted it though. Because the gearbox is so heavy I couldn't lift it by myself (I'm quite short:lol:), so while I lined it up to the engine a mate fitted the release bearing on the input shaft, wether he's done it properly is my main concern now.
Feck I must had read that wrong! :doh: :lol:

gunmetalgtir

Adam L said:
Feck, I must had read that wrong! :doh: :lol:

MORF114

gutted for you mate, id give your mate a bitch slap for that, make him lift and align the box this time while you put the release bearing on the fork, and make him buy you a box of piss for being a dumb cnut.

Bosso

Pfitzner Performance

How is the quality on Pfitzner Performances gearkits vs par and quaife. I'm going to rebulid my gearbox. I'm going to install syncromesh gear kit. What is the experience around? What would you recommend?

Tom

O

Odin

Don't bother with the Par gear kits, They seem to need a lot of machining to get them to fit and work properly, I've had my Quaife for nearly 7 years now and I'm a 100% happy with the way it performs.

Quite a few of the membership have bought PPG kits in the last year or two, But non of them have been able to use them in anger, But the quality of the components in very good from what I've been told, To be honest all of them would work well once they've been fitted properly, But whether the gearbox casing can take the abuse is another matter.

In my opinion if you are wanting a good solid box for a 450 or less bhp road/track car then you can't beat the quaife for quality and practicality, And they are in this country if you need spares or have a problem that needs sorting out.

Rob

gunmetalgtir

Nice opinion Rob, :thumbsup: should give the guy the answer he was looking for....

Odin said:
And they are in this country if you need spares or have a problem that needs sorting out
Apart from this bit, he's in Norway! :lol: