Racing the Pulsar

Jon Olds

Sprinter is a great tow vehicle, my 02 cdi does 35mpg round the doors.Plastics for performance did the perspex set. Decent quality, and they curved the back screen properly. Must get the rally car to a weighbridge, so I know where we are. Look on the top of the accelerator pedal and on the rear of the gearshift mount. Two lumps of 'ballast' steel that you can live without.

pulsarmoley

Really enjoying reading this thread, would love to have a go at a hill climb, just for a laugh though as i couldnt afford to be competitive, keep up the good work! Pete.

bracpan

Unfortunatly I cant use plastic windows they have to be standard glass. Managed to remove a few more pounds off the car this weekend. Will be writing around again this week to try and get some sponcership for 2012. But in these troubled times its understandably not much around.

bracpan

Here we go again, entree done for the Midland Hill Climb Chamionship, as usual no idea if I can afford to do it all, so nothing new...lol
Hoping to get a 3ins exhaust sorted for the start of the season and a re-map. Just hope that and losing the weight of me and the car will be enough to stay ahead in 2012.

bracpan

Thanks Danny very much appreciated, but a local company is making one from scratch for me. They have been very helpfull over the past few weeks sorting out other problems.
I will spend the day with them making it up so looking foward to that..

warringtonjack

Hey Phil, good to see you're still doing well! Who you getting to do your exhaust? Charlie at ProSpeed in Cardiff is a great guy. He's great at anything that needs a little 'custom' touch. ;)

bracpan

I have been to see Charlie but getting the car over to him etc is not easy as he said he cant do it in the one day. I have been talking to Xzorst products in Pyle and they will do exatly as I want etc and they are only 20mins away.

bracpan

Unfortunatly I decided no to go ahead with the exhaust as my electric garage door broke last week and left me £300 down in funds...I will buy all the 3ins silencers, pipes and fittings that they ordered and try to get it done at a later date in the year. Might have a go myself if I can get use of a ramp etc. The car is back together and ready for the road in April its a shame I could not get any mods done for 2012 but at least lost some weight of us both....will see if that has made any difference.

bracpan

Car back on the road today, is not to bad with all the sound deadning removed,,,one nice suppries is that I am going to have to alter my harness as its to lose after the weight I have lost. Shame I could not do any more mods but hopefully its enough to keep me ahead. Still have that dam van to repair propaly so have to keep my pennies for that....

bracpan

Moving on,,,van cyliner head was removed last Wednesday and found slight leakage on the gasket and slight damage to the head its now being machned so fingers crossed it should be back up and running soon. I also fitted the camera in Pulsar and tried it for the first time,,,not bad at all exept its a HD camera and the computer strugles to cope,,,not a big problem to sort out. Looking foward to getting back on the track and will hopefully have some in car action for this year.

bracpan

I think this year is going to be like this, some ups? and then some downs..!!
I weighed all the bits I have removed and added it to the weight I lost since last summer.
The car with me in it will now be 106lbs (48kgs) lighter than last year...as I still have another stone to lose but I am very happy with that.
On the down side I was cleaning my race tyres ready top start in a few weeks time and noticed I have serously flat spotted one tyre, it was on the last but one corner of the last run in Loton 2011...I did not see it whan I removed and put them away for the winter so it looks like 2 new tyes (as I only get them im pairs or all 4) are needed before i start again....sh*t. I think I will be sellig my body down the docks soon..lol
Will really be strugling to get through this season.

MarkTurbo

I think I will be sellig my body down the docks soon..lol
Will really be strugling to get through this season.
I know how you feel, after breaking my gearbox in practice in my first event i reckon i can write off the first half of this year :sad:

Whats the going rate down the docks? I might be joining you :lol:

bracpan

Mark

I feel for you, its a sickning feeling especially so early in the year, have you found out exactly whats gone? Have you spoken to Danny?
Im not sure of the rate on the docks at the moment but perhaps we can do a 2 for 1 deal....lol
Dont you just hate it whan people win the lottery and say it want change me im still going to work otherwise I would get bored....in that case give it to people like us who know what to do with it....lol
Fast cars, good food, drink and women,,,,after that I might waste the rest...

Last edited:

MarkTurbo

Mark

I feel for you, its a sickning feeling especially so early in the year, have you found out exactly whats gone? Have you spoken to Danny?
I know its taken all the teeth off 3rd gear but haven't taken the box off yet to see if theres any other damage. I could take it apart, fix it and be up and running again in a day or 2 but i'm pretty sure it would just happen again within a short space of time!

I have been looking at other options but they would involve a lot of work messing about with props, driveshafts, engine mounts etc and would put me in the modified class due to using a gearbox not originally fitted to the car.

The easiest option would be to get hold of a second hand quaife but then i'd still have a doubt in my mind about the casing splitting and ending up with 2 grands worth of scrap gearset :?

When is your first event Phil?

How many cases have split running Quaife's? Most of the ones I've seen seem to be straight cut gear sets with the stock final drive.

Last edited: