Racing the Pulsar

bracpan

Any body an idea what is the lightest, S/Steel or Mild Steel. I think I might be making a new 3" exhaust so might as well use the lightest material. Rust does not really matter the milage I do.

dencon

Phil.
I would not use mild steel. If you use a thin wall section tube, and you do not use the car daily. corrosion will be severe. As regards weight, I don,t think there would be much to gain with either. You could save a little if you use a side exit in front of rear wheel, as I have on my lhd car, but it is difficult to get it below 105db,s. Den.

STU666V

I think the exhaust needs to be back of the front wheels as the evo in my class had to change his that came out of the front bumper.

Titanium is very light but you would need a mortgage for one. :lol:

Last edited:

bracpan

No I wont do a front exit i tested one for noise and it was WAY over the limit on tick over. It will be a full sysytem but I might use a repackable silencer across the rear. As you know it has to be resonably quiet and my Mongoose is slowley getting higher every year. It will be a full 3 ins.
No way can I go to Titanium plus I cant weld it..lol Nice idea though. I would have problems with 105db so rear exit sounds about right. Thanks again.

bracpan

I had Merlin weigh the pipe and Mild Steel is lighter than S/Steel...but not by very much. But nice to know.

bracpan

Just had a great night away at the price giving in Worc... I picked up my award for 1st in class. At the end of the awards ceremony they said they are now presenting the awards to the top 10 drivers of the year..it then actually hit me when i saw my name there in 9th what I had managed to achieve in 2011..It was a great honour to be included with so many top hill climb drivers but also bloody nerve wrecking...the hairs on the back of my kneck were standing on end..its much easyer driving...lol
Again many thanks to all that help me over the past few years I could not have done it without you.
Cheers
Phil

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Phil, what a brilliant end to the years events.........it's completely obvious to any that take an interest in sprints an hill-climbing and might have followed your efforts in this thread that any accolades you received for your skills are well deserved, soak them all up mate, they are well deserved.......well done.

P

pulsarboby

well chuffed for you phil
what you have achieved is pretty remarkable on such a tight budget and you deserve full credit for that alone as well as outstanding driving ability and sheer determination

question is how do you better a season like this?

bracpan

I dont now !!!! lol but i will be having a dam good go..already over 2 stones lighter so over half way there with the driver lighning.
Car will be next.
Thanks for the exhaust Fastguy some lovely stuff there especially the oval tube. A 3ins exhaust is on my list and possibly 100 octane fuel if I can afford it.

bracpan

2.5 stones lighter now and removing loads or weight from the Pulsar as well....that stick on sound deadning is amazing got to carryer bag fulls already...If I lose 28kgs of me and a bit more off the car I should lose the half second I need off 2 of the tracks ( Prescott & Shelsley) ,,,, the better axhaust and remap on the fuel should help get the 1+ second I need of Loton park. Iam also writing around for sponcors at the moment, no luck yet but still plenty of time before next easter.

bracpan

Sound deadning, carpets, some trim, just rying to work out how to get the sunroof panell out at the moment without removing all the head lining, I am just going to replace the glass with either perspex or a G/F panel so that it still works. Will then look at the mirrors etc....have a few other ideas//wink wink....
I should personally be lighter by 4 stone around Easter time.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Phil, have you tried Sky Insurance or Opie Oil for sponcership, Sky in particular like getting involved in things like this. Call Ollie Frost at Sky on 08701 121 759....

bracpan

Having big problems with the van,,,but thats another story.
Losing weight off the car bit by bit, no luck at all with any sponcership. So as usuall struggling to get money for another season. Hopefully someting will turn up as I have to return to defend my class win in 2012.
When I see what spend on racing, the amount I need is pennies, just send the wife out to get lottery tickets..lol