Racing the Pulsar

bracpan

Yes i agree Danny said to clean out the MAF. Will run the car again first then clean out to make sure its all ok. Ive checked all the hoses and nothing there.
Thanks all any other ideas just fire away.
Cheers
phil

STU666V

Do a fault check.
Check lambda?
Wire connections
Fuel pump volts
HT leads, Dizzy and arm, spark plugs
Shite/water in your fuel?
:lol: The list goes on.

dencon

Phil. Check the small pipes that connect the small stubs on front of throttle bodies, after hitting rev limiter, I have had one pop off a couple of times.

bracpan

Strange thing is it was playing up a little just before the run then it did the fastest climb of Prescott ever? So I think things like plugs, fuel etc are more then ok...once it started it went like a rocket and reved to 8000 rpm...now it seems back to normal.
Dam cars...lol But I will go through a lot of the things you have all listed over the next few weeks to make sure it does not happen again. Many thanks.
Cheers
Phil

bracpan

Indigo GT up in Merthyr will be having a 4wd rolling road fitted soon...great thing is they are only 30 mins away. i think youll agree they have done a great job on my car.

danr

clean the air filter.
plugs may have fouled up then cleaned themselves..
excessive hot air in bay.
dirty maf
crap / old fuel in bottom of tank (or filled up with the dregs from some cheap garage lol)

just my pence worth :_)

bracpan

Cheers
I think for some reason the MAF started reading things wrong so cleaning the thing out will be my first port of call. , Air Filer is new, fuel is always stored in cans so it cant deteriate and the car was stone cold when it came off the trailer so I think the MAF could be the cuplrit.
Thanks again
Phil

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
New air filter; which one? - When they're (over) oiled that can get on the hot wire and confuse the crap out of it; I've done that accidentally by using too much of the K&N spray, but throttle body cleaner takes it back off again.

bracpan

Yes Danny said the same thing but I did fit the new K&N back in March and been running all year with it, but you could be right that the oil has built up on the MAF over the summer, will get some carb/throttle body cleaner ASAP. Thanks again for all your help and advice, very grateful
Phil

bracpan

I have cleaned everything out etc, the car started up and run smooth from the word go. On a run it first went well then missed a beat a few times as if it was blowing the spark out.
I came home swapped the new coil back to the original Nissan unit and also fitted my original plubs. Went out again, seemed ok then missed once. Found a nice quiet road and did a full race start all the way to 100+ and it pulles like a train, did the same on the way back,...it also was ticking over fine when I go tit home.
Hmmmm ill take it to Loton as it did seem fine at the end.
It does seem to be running a touch rich on the AFM, woundring if the Injectors need a clean? Will see how it goes in practice.

bracpan

Car went like a dream, pulled like a train all weekend without missing a beat.
I won the class and managed to do a personal best time on a damp track!! Its been my best year by far with 7 wins out of 10 events. At the begining of the year I would have been chuffed to have one one National Hillclimb...would never had imagined 7 & the Class in the Championship.
Thanks to everyone that has helped with advice and suport.
Phil

bracpan

Thanks Den, its only going to me minor upgrades from now on as I finally feel happy and confidant in the car. Its taken a few years but got there in the end.

MarkTurbo

Thanks Den, its only going to me minor upgrades from now on as I finally feel happy and confidant in the car. Its taken a few years but got there in the end.
The fact that your happy with the car now is probably the reason for all your success this year! I've got to the same stage with my car now i think, i know its pretty much exactly how i want it so i just need to work on improving my driving now. But if i can achieve even half the success that people like you and Den have had with their cars i'd be very happy ;-)

bracpan

I think the last bit of the Jigsaw was the tyres. Once I got used to them my confidance grew and the car felt great. Just begining to plan for next year.....

red reading

All those small things have added up now phil, and if your confidence has grown so will the trophies cabinet. speak soon mate i have a few idea's for you.

bracpan

look foward to hearing your ideas...but im not going to alter too much as the car is now as I like it. Lose some weight and if I can get more reasponce but im even learning to drive around that. Speak soon

bracpan

Im already making plans for next year...have a nice big list of things to do involving losing weight of the car,,,,and me.
I will take on board things regarding responce and probaly do a few things to help that. But after taking a friend for a run the other night I realised how much difference the extra weight makes. I have sorted the suspension upgrades out, so apart from that its trying to get a sponsor and earning the money for next season.