quaife gearbox

mad max

at last the r is going in for new box cost £....over 3k just worked 3 weeks 7 days a week 12 hours a day to pay for it hope it is worth it mad max

nismoboy

mad max said:
at last the r is going in for new box cost £....over 3k just worked 3 weeks 7 days a week 12 hours a day to pay for it hope it is worth it mad max
what u going for a quaiffe?

imho your best bet is the ppg dogbox,

dogbox = no clutch failures, no side loading on the bearings, due to straight cut teeth, or casaing failure. quicker gear changes and they sound superb!

now heres the bad bit ££££ :shock: yep the cost more than most peoples cars on here.

mad max

exedy paddle it is good for 450bhp i hope time will tell if it fu.ks up i will work more hours and fit a better one mad mad

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
nismoboy said:
mad max said:

dogbox = no clutch failures, no side loading on the bearings, due to straight cut teeth, or casaing failure. quicker gear changes and they sound superb!

now heres the bad bit ££££ :shock: yep the cost more than most peoples cars on here.

All yet to be proven...

Your clutch will eventually fail just the same as if using the clutch to change gears... its just wear and tear...

Side loading on the bearings makes no difference...

Casing failure is less likely as its the Helicaly cut gears that force the input shaft forward on hard engagements which in turn breaks the casing...

But straight cut dog box is going to be crap for normal road driving...

Prices are decent too...

£3800 for a complete 5sp Dog Box
£1200 for a 1/2 Dog Box

On another note... Has anyone compared the Quaife Dog box to the PPG one...???

Rishi[/b]

Rishi

nismoboy said:
mad max said:

All yet to be proven...

Your clutch will eventually fail just the same as if using the clutch to change gears... its just wear and tear...

Side loading on the bearings makes no difference...

Casing failure is less likely with straight cut gears as its the Helicaly cut gears that force the input shaft forward on hard engagements which in turn breaks the casing...

But straight cut dog box is going to be crap for normal road driving...

Prices are decent too...

£3800 for a complete 5sp Dog Box
£1200 for a 1/2 Dog Box

On another note... Has anyone compared the Quaife Dog box to the PPG one...???

Remember that the casing failure problem is in the process of having a fix implemented... :wink:

Rishi

O

Odin

00sid said:
and no the casing does not need machining its the standard reverse gears that need machining becauce the quaife input shalf is bigger so the gears need more clearance.

I stand corrected :oops: , Bernie just told be they had to do some machineing to make it fit and I assumed he meant the caseing :oops: :oops: .

It's good to learn something new :wink: :lol: .

rob

nismoboy

why are dog boxes no good for normal driving?
im guessing there quite noisy but that doesnt both me.
but as for shifting ie clutch less shifting it sounds superb.

any info would be much appreciated.

nismoboy

nismoboy said:

also rishi, where can u get a dog box for £3800? cheers nis.

Rishi

mad max said:
with a quaiffe box do you need a short shift /or will the shift be standard sorry for a silly question mad max

Quaife has a normal shift...

Rishi

Rishi

nismoboy said:

You can shift with the clutch but you usually have to double clutch it...

Neutral > Clutch > 1st > Clutch down > Neutral > Clutch Up > Clutch Down > 2nd...

Get the idea... It will shift with out the clutch but i thought that it really works up at the redline... Its just a pain in the arse for normal driving...

£3800 for a PPG Dog Box is just the going price in AUS...

Rishi

marcymarc

Yo :D

Sorry to rake up old coals but im just wondering if i could have some info?

In my GTiR i have found that the gear change is quite sloppy compared to cars im used to , the gear box doesnt feel very precise as on a few occasions ive nearly rammed it in second insted of forth :oops:

Im wondering if the quaife gear set gives a more accurate sporty gear change or perhaps gives a more fluid/solid change???

:wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

try changing the gear link arm bush' s. i think thats the right term :oops: where the shifter connects to the gb there' s a bush that when its worn makes gear changes feel sloppy.

Stu

marcymarc

Dooie Pop Pop said:
try changing the gear link arm bush' s. i think thats the right term :oops: where the shifter connects to the gb there' s a bush that when its worn makes gear changes feel sloppy.

Stu

thanks Dooie , great help as usual :wink:

Gonna get in touch with Sickboy and see if he fancys sorting it for me :D

Dooie Pop Pop

marcymarc said:
Dooie Pop Pop said:

Stu
thanks Dooie , great help as usual :wink:

Gonna get in touch with Sickboy and see if he fancys sorting it for me :D
its no big job, 20mins if your chatting :lol: you and spanner hands will be at it all day :lol:

thats the cheap easy try, if its not the bush its probably internal btw :(

marcymarc said:
marcymarc said:
Im wondering if the quaife gear set gives a more accurate sporty gear change or perhaps gives a more fluid/solid change???

Anyone???
not sure what you mean by that :? the gears feel chunky (not crunchy) to engage, revs only drop about 900rpm between changes and it whines like an old mini 8)

will that do?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Dooie Pop Pop said:

Stu
I had the uprated bush put in there last November. It certainly cut down the movement while in gear, it's probably about 1/2" or so now.

Dooie Pop Pop

Fast Guy said:
Dooie Pop Pop said:

Stu
I had the uprated bush put in there last November. It certainly cut down the movement while in gear, it's probably about 1/2" or so now.
im just gonna buy a nissan bush rather than wait for a poly one, should be fine for ten or so years if i look after it :lol: