quaife gearbox

marcymarc

Dooie Pop Pop said:
marcymarc said:
Dooie Pop Pop said:
try changing the gear link arm bush' s. i think thats the right term :oops: where the shifter connects to the gb there' s a bush that when its worn makes gear changes feel sloppy.

Stu
thanks Dooie , great help as usual :wink:

Gonna get in touch with Sickboy and see if he fancys sorting it for me :D
its no big job, 20mins if your chatting :lol: you and spanner hands will be at it all day :lol:

thats the cheap easy try, if its not the bush its probably internal btw :(

marcymarc said:
marcymarc said:
Im wondering if the quaife gear set gives a more accurate sporty gear change or perhaps gives a more fluid/solid change???

Anyone???

will that do?

Suppose its gonna have 2 :lol:

Rich@Redline

RishiGTiR said:
nismoboy said:
mad max said:
at last the r is going in for new box cost £....over 3k just worked 3 weeks 7 days a week 12 hours a day to pay for it hope it is worth it mad max
what u going for a quaiffe?

imho your best bet is the ppg dogbox,

dogbox = no clutch failures, no side loading on the bearings, due to straight cut teeth, or casaing failure. quicker gear changes and they sound superb!

now heres the bad bit ££££ :shock: yep the cost more than most peoples cars on here.

All yet to be proven...

Your clutch will eventually fail just the same as if using the clutch to change gears... its just wear and tear...

Side loading on the bearings makes no difference...

Casing failure is less likely with straight cut gears as its the Helicaly cut gears that force the input shaft forward on hard engagements which in turn breaks the casing...

But straight cut dog box is going to be crap for normal road driving...

Prices are decent too...

£3800 for a complete 5sp Dog Box
£1200 for a 1/2 Dog Box

On another note... Has anyone compared the Quaife Dog box to the PPG one...???

Remember that the casing failure problem is in the process of having a fix implemented... :wink:

Rishi

The Quaife dog-box is not available......despite being advertised in their current 2006 catalogue. I have emailed them on numerous occasions quoting the reference number and was told that it was only ever made as a prototype, then I chatted to a Quaife dude at Autosport and he confirmed this, it never went into production.

This leaves the main choices down to Quaife semi-helical synchro, PPG straight-cut syncho or straight cut dog. Or theres PAR, but no thanks....

Rich

marcymarc

nismoboy said:
go for the ppg straight cut syncro :wink:

Ive heard alot of people mention the ppg jobees but ive never heard any tried and tested views.

Anyone on the forum got a ppg mo fo ?

matt-sab

quaife do a straight cut and heli
whats the diff in power they will cope with ?
is the heli quiet then too?
matt

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Sunny Jim said:
This leaves the main choices down to Quaife semi-helical synchro, PPG straight-cut syncho or straight cut dog. Or theres PAR, but no thanks....

Rich
What about the Becker kit from Germany? The guy who fitted my clutch says he races with one and hasn't had any problems.

Rich@Redline

matt-sab said:
quaife do a straight cut and heli
whats the diff in power they will cope with ?
is the heli quiet then too?
matt
No, Quaife only offer a semi-helical for the R. Not as noisy as a straight-cut by far, but noisier than a standard box! Certainly not unpleasant by any stretch.

Rich@Redline

Fast Guy said:
Sunny Jim said:

Rich
What about the Becker kit from Germany? The guy who fitted my clutch says he races with one and hasn't had any problems.
Yeah I dont know anything about Becker, but remember when the name was mentioned on here before that people seemed to suggest that it wasnt the best choice....

To be honest I struggle to see why anyone would choose anything other than Quaife for fast road, and PPG dog for drag (apart from price!)

matt-sab

if the quaife set is semi thats good news as straight is track and drag use only imo
:)
cts ie gearbox man bernie
said the gear set is £1600 but advices having the set shot peened for extra safety etc.
good guy bernie did my stage 1 box for the S1 and its great
as good now as the day he built it !!
thier honest too and do a good deal.
:) 8)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Fast Guy said:
Sunny Jim said:

Rich

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you remember what happened with Bruce...

Bailifs are at Beckers door for about 16K+ that they owe him for the most appauling gearbox ever!...

Rishi

marcymarc

RishiGTiR said:
Fast Guy said:
Sunny Jim said:

Rich

Bailifs are at Beckers door for about 16K+ that they owe him for the most appauling gearbox ever!...

Rishi

Have you heard good reports about the ppg box Rishi?
Seems a tad expensive compared to the quafie :shock:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
marcymarc said:
RishiGTiR said:
Fast Guy said:
Sunny Jim said:

Rich

Rishi

Have you heard good reports about the ppg box Rishi?
Seems a tad expensive compared to the quafie :shock:

Well i haven't heard anything bad about the PPG... Seems to be a success in AUS...

Its not that much more than the Quaife for the complete Dog Box... £5k i think...

Rishi

Rich@Redline

I emailed PPG a few times asking about torque capabilities, and like most, he wouldn't give a figure. However, he did say that it is being used by numerous 500hp+ drag GTI-Rs in Aus without failure.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
RishiGTiR said:

Rishi
I must have missed that one :?