Quaife boxes

A

Alex

Can anyone give me a low down on Quaife gear boxes for the Pulsar? How much are they and what sort of a difference will they make? Any info would be appreciated.

GTiR_Mic

I got my quote through from Quafie on mine, it is about 2k for all the gears and shipped. Then you need to buy all your bearings and the fitting charge.

Mic

A

Alex

Seems a bit too expensive for me tbh, is there another option other then the standard unit? Or would it be worth buying a s/h box if I could find one?

ChrisS

You'll be lucky to find a second hand quaiffe box.

Really depends on what sort of power your running and what you do with it to if its worthit or not. Only thing it will do is handle higher power/torque better without breaking, although nothings for certain. The casing or something else could still go pop. You'll be talking the best part of 3k to have a new one built up with all the bearings etc.

W

woodster

sorry to butt in on this topic, but i've read and spoke to people about the gti-r's and know that the box's aren't that good when higher toque is being put through them and i know you can get Dog cut inners for 1-3rd gear.

question being are they alot harder to get on with conpaired to standard cut gears????

thanks Woods :wink: :D :D

A

Alex

I want a box with some different ratios, slightly lower top speed but increased acceleration.

ChrisS

I want a box with some different ratios, slightly lower top speed but increased acceleration.
Quaife ratios are slightly longer than standard for first 4 gears then same as standard in top.

sorry to butt in on this topic, but i've read and spoke to people about the gti-r's and know that the box's aren't that good when higher toque is being put through them and i know you can get Dog cut inners for 1-3rd gear.

question being are they alot harder to get on with conpaired to standard cut gears????
Boxes arent that bad, it depends how you treat them. Third to 4th selector is a week point. Theres some big power cars that still use standard boxes.

A dog box isnt going to be as easy to use in traffic etc. Do you drag your car or are running big power cos thats the only reason its going to be worth while changing

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
woodster said:

May i remind you that there has yet to be a GTiR Quaife failure!!... :?

Really no idea where you got the idea that it doesn't like high torque.... :? :roll:

Rishi

W

woodster

i'm bit of an animal with gear changes :roll: :oops: :oops: , i want to have a go at the RWYB and jap shows as a lot of my friends do it with there jap monsters :D :D , i would probably be better with the quaife inners then? :wink:

Rishi

ChrisS said:
Quaife ratios are slightly longer than standard for first 4 gears then same as standard in top.

Or you could just get the short ratio version... :wink:

Rishi

Rishi

woodster said:
i'm bit of an animal with gear changes :roll: :oops: :oops: , i want to have a go at the RWYB and jap shows as a lot of my friends do it with there jap monsters :D :D , i would probably be better with the quaife inners then? :wink:

I've launched mine 50+ times using a harsh 3 paddle HKS Ceramic Paddle Clutch with no mechanical sympathy and its all been fine...

I'll be running 700bhp through mine in week or so...

Rishi

Mark_GTiR

RishiGTiR said:
woodster said:

Really no idea where you got the idea that it doesn't like high torque.... :? :roll:

Rishi
What about that Dee1 (Darren) fella?? Didn't he wreck a Quaife box or two?? I could be wrong mind....

Rishi

Mark_GTiR said:
RishiGTiR said:
woodster said:

Rishi
What about that Dee1 (Darren) fella?? Didn't he wreck a Quaife box or two?? I could be wrong mind....

No the Quaife was fine... He blew the std casing...

Thats what you get for using solid mounts and solid disc clutch plates... A few days later he did it again...

Rishi

ChrisS

I've launched mine 50+ times using a harsh 3 paddle HKS Ceramic Paddle Clutch with no mechanical sympathy and its all been fine...

You worried about the casing breaking rishi? You going to be using solid or standard mounts?

Was it the actual quaife gearset that failed though?

i'm bit of an animal with gear changes
Be a bit kinder to it then then you wont need to fork out £3k :wink:

Rishi

ChrisS said:

You worried about the casing breaking rishi? You going to be using solid or standard mounts?

Standard Engine Mounts.... Will have another case for some special treatment... Have also looked into getting a new casing made out of a much stronger material...

Was it the actual quaife gearset that failed though?

No the Quaife was fine... He blew the std casing...

Thats what you get for using solid mounts and solid disc clutch plates... A few days later he did it again...

i'm bit of an animal with gear changes
Be a bit kinder to it then then you wont need to fork out £3k :wink:

Rishi

ChrisS

Will have another case for some special treatment... Have also looked into getting a new casing made out of a much stronger material
Would be interested to know how it goes.
Also running quaife, OS and standard mounts. Casing blowing gives me nightmares :oops:

Rishi

ChrisS said:
Will have another case for some special treatment... Have also looked into getting a new casing made out of a much stronger material
Would be interested to know how it goes.
Also running quaife, OS and standard mounts. Casing blowing gives me nightmares :oops:

Are you using the OS Giken with sprung plates or solid...? To be honest i think that its more down to the Solid Engine Mounts than the clutch...

Rishi