Project Shit Box (2021)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Also I'm struggling to plumb certain piped/items together, nothing seems to be quite right...

I feel that the top arrow might be for the BOV vacuum?

But the other (lower arrow) is for the fuel pressure regulator?

I've also got a random boost controller pipe not connected to anything and I'm wondering if it needs to be plumbed into something to close the loop?

20240504_173208.jpg

gtirx2

Picture on last page not to sure possibly the stock boost solenoid which you won't be using.

2nd pic ignition module normally sits on a bracket bolted to the side of the cylinder head with thermal paste between it.
Can be mounted anywhere really the cooler the better.

3rd pic top arrow is to the boost solenoid stock or aftermarket 3 port which I assume is what you are running.
Then from 3 port to actuator.
The 3rd port on an after marker boost solenoid can be left vent to atmosphere or plumbed back into the intake pipe like it does as stock.

Ideally for better boost control apparently you are best off having as short as possible pipe run between the above or even better instead of using the top arrow pressure source tap directly into the turbos compressure cover if possible.

Bottom arrow is fuel pressure regulator and Ideally only run a single line to this don't T of this line as any leaks and you will run lean.

This thread is how I have plumbed mine in with the charcoal canister removed hope it helps.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Picture on last page not to sure possibly the stock boost solenoid which you won't be using.
100% right, found some older pictures on a hard drive and that wasn't connected to anything before I took the engine out! :thumbsup:

2nd pic ignition module normally sits on a bracket bolted to the side of the cylinder head with thermal paste between it.
Can be mounted anywhere really the cooler the better.
Looking back at pictures, this was NOT connected to anything and was literally connected to nothing, just hanging around in the engine bay!

3rd pic top arrow is to the boost solenoid stock or aftermarket 3 port which I assume is what you are running.
Then from 3 port to actuator.
The 3rd port on an after marker boost solenoid can be left vent to atmosphere or plumbed back into the intake pipe like it does as stock.
Yes, I think I've worked that out!
It was connected to the make shift "bleed valve" as a temporary fix to controll the boost before looking to intall proper controller!
I looks like it ran down to the bleed valve and then it was connected to the actuator.

Bottom arrow is fuel pressure regulator and Ideally only run a single line to this don't T of this line as any leaks and you will run lean.
Bit confused here. "only run a single line" a single line to where?
On my old photos, I don't have it connected to anything! o_O

This thread is how I have plumbed mine in with the charcoal canister removed hope it helps.

Thanks for the link.

The carbon canister went many years ago along with the idle control valve and all the crap round the back of the car.

I just have to remember which pipe goes to what on the turbo install now!

gtirx2

If it was not connected to anything the car would of run massively lean on boost.
The fuel pressure regulator works on a 1 to 1 ratio so every 1 psi of boost it raises the fuel pressure 1psi if that makes sense.

I used the top smaller vacuum line from the black vacuum box on the back of the plenum as it's the correct size so no down size connectors needed and less chance of any leaks.

gtirx2

I would also try and mount your ignition module somewhere and use thermal paste on what you bolt it to to act as a heat sink as they can over heat.

I modified my bracket turned it upside down and added a heat sink

Internet_20240302_164641_81.jpeg

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
If it was not connected to anything the car would of run massively lean on boost.
The fuel pressure regulator works on a 1 to 1 ratio so every 1 psi of boost it raises the fuel pressure 1psi if that makes sense.

I used the top smaller vacuum line from the black vacuum box on the back of the plenum as it's the correct size so no down size connectors needed and less chance of any leaks.
So the black vacuum box is long gone on my car.
All those bits and the idle control valve has been binned.

So I guess I need to find another point to plug the FPR into I guess.

I take it, this 1 to 1 ratio/psi is pre throttle bodies pressure then?

gtirx2

No think it's post throttle bodies as need to see good vacuum as well as the fpr's 1to1 ratio works both ways.
When in vacuum it decreases the. fuel.pressure

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
So I think I've worked out all the locations for the hose and fuel lines etc.

Need to sort out a heat sink for the ignition module

Inline oil filter for the turbo is here.

Just need new brake discs ordering and then it should be a case of putting most of it back together over the weekends I have free in June and July.

If anyone has any suggestions on decent mapping companies in the North of the UK would be helpful...as everyone I've spoken to seems unwilling or not interested...