Project Shit Box (2021)

Cathode

Where are we now on this Andy? Have you got everything you need for the complete install and mapping?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
So in a nutshell... nothing!

The engine will land back at mine early Jan 2024.

I've rang Owen Developments numerous time over the last few months about getting my turbo sorted out - but no-one seems to answer the phone.

I still need to clear the rest of my credit card, before I can start to sort out the suspension or ECU...

...a long way to go yet!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
On a note regards Owen Developments, they answered the phone this afternoon and I got to speak with the “tech team” regarding my turbo.

In a nutshell, I might as well bin off my old knackered 2871 and upgrade to a more modern GTX range or OD homemade turbo.
This way it can flow much better than what I had, I don’t have to boost it to death to get decent numbers and drivability/response would be much better than what I had, which was a 4k rpm lag-fest.

Plus, I can V-band the connections and get a custom inlet system made too.

However, the costs are obscene at the moment and I don’t think things will get any cheaper in the long run.
I guess I'll pay for what I get...

However, let’s get the engine back in the car 1st and then once that’s fitted early 2024, I can then start looking at getting the turbo ordered, then ECU and go from there!

Cathode

So, that’s where we are. Yeah, the GTX range are a country mile better than the old series, more early low rev boost and yes, cost a pretty penny. I’m not sure how long my gearbox would last though. I had mine mapped so that the torque doesn’t come in too early and peaks a bit higher up the Rev range. Plus I was ordered to do “no standing starts” if I wanted to keep it intact.

Anyway, it’s nice that they eventually answered the phone. They must’ve been busy counting the tremendous stacks of cash they have from GTX sales. Good to know the cost so you can choose which kidney to sell.

Cathode

Are you running that in your car now?
No, it’s old school GT. No X. So a bit laggy but not horrendous. I didn’t mean it to sound like I had the GTX. I only say they’re better as I’ve been in a Pulsar with the GTX and it feels punchier sooner than mine does.

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
GoodNews.gif

My engine is now back in my hands/garage.

At the end of Jan I will start to put things back into the engine bay area in prep for the engine going back in.

I no doubt foresee major issues with this install and expect it to be a nightmare, so I'm mentally preparing myself for this.

In the meantime, I best crack on with powder coating parts I need sorting out!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Not very interesting news, moved the car out of the garage this weekend, gave it a well earned snow foam and clean after 7 years stuck in my garage.

The build up of dirt was thick!

Noted rust issues and some damage to the paintwork, while been in the garage.

Also put the engine on some makeshift rollers to move around the garage/to the front of the engine bay.

Looking like I should be putting the engine back in around April time.

Now starts the time to put things together, find parts I've lost, order new items and get ready for the slog of getting it back in the engine bay.

20240225_171028.jpg

20240225_171035.jpg